Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone had a leaflet re the Household Charge?

Options
  • 25-02-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I read somewhere that every home would receive a leaflet about the Household Charge during the first two weeks of February, but I haven't had one; has anyone else?
    I think I know all I need to, but the publicity seems a bit piecemeal so far, and I was just wondering if there could be people who risk a fine because they haven't heard about it.
    Or maybe that's just my British mindset, and it wouldn't happen here where people look out for each other?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I got mine, as Bearla agus as Gaeilge last week, so half of it will make sense to you and the other half is in English. :)

More Info: www.householdcharge.ie 1890 357 357

Mine was delivered but not by An Post AFAIK, sometime in the afternoon after our regular postal delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

They should all have gone out by now -

see http://www.moneyguideireland.com/household-charge-leaflets-going-out-this-week.html

The contract was given to CityPost - not Anpost - so maybe that don't know where all the houses are. WHo is going to know if they just dump a load of them instead of delivering them ??

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Well, if 'Better communities start at your doorstep', my doorstep was missed out!
    Thank you both for the the info and links. I've now printed out a 'preview' of the leaflet (just the info, not the pretty pictures). It'll be something to show any others round here who didn't get one.
    I see it puts 'No administration fee applies' in bold type against the option of paying in person at the council office, but not against the other payment options. That would be an alarm bell if it was a business transaction, but presumably it's just bad leaflet design?

When the valuation-based scheme comes in, it'll be interesting to know how much our house is worth, as we haven't been able to afford a valuation in the 20 years we've lived here!

I'm on the state pension, and there's a rumour about the household charge getting deducted from it. No mention in the leaflet, but I think I'll just check in the appropriate forum before paying it, to avoid any reclaiming hassle.

Fogmatic wrote: »
    I see it puts 'No administration fee applies' in bold type against the option of paying in person at the council office, but not against the other payment options. That would be an alarm bell if it was a business transaction, but presumably it's just bad leaflet design?

I'm on the state pension, and there's a rumour about the household charge getting deducted from it. No mention in the leaflet, but I think I'll just check in the appropriate forum before paying it, to avoid any reclaiming hassle.

The mention of no admin fee was probably put in because there was incorrect information in the press in January that a €10 fee applied for over the counter payments. There are no payment fees no matter how you pay.

They cannot deduct household charge from pensions or wages or social welfare.
    There is a proposal to deduct fines (for anything) from wages or welfare - but that is not even been put forward in the Dail yet - if it ever is . More false rumours !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Ogham wrote: »
    The contract was given to CityPost - not Anpost

I'd like to see them try get into my apartment building with those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I live on an ordinary estate and i didn't get one. Paid it anyway.

Maybe some of the delivery staff are members of the anti Household Tax campaign .? :D
    The leaflets are not addressed - as far as I know - just in blank envelopes to be delivered to each house.

Thanks Ogham - I'll just go ahead and pay it then (the rumours round here can be like Chinese whispers at times).

Statistically, I suppose some campaigners among the delivery people wouldn't be surprising! (Though I wouldn't think non-delivery would be very good as a protest, with the onus being on householders).

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

I checked with family memebers who live in different towns around Laois & no one has received a leaflet. I wonder how much money was wasted on printing them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Who Knows? They're probably fecked in a ditch somewhere near the Portlaoise / Abbeyleix roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Got mine last thursday, didnt come in an envelope, just a leaflet pushed through the door, was just about to go outside and give out to the postie for ignoring my " no junk mail" sign, then realised what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Ours came last week with a bunch of other leaflets (pizza delivery and so on). Almost chucked it in the recycling bin with the rest.

Read it and recycled it then - we are renting :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

We got ours Saturday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Ours came today. No envelope here either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/household-tax-leaflet-will-not-go-to-all-homes-3053504.html

An Post have been commissioned to deliver a new batch of 'final reminder' notices that should be delivered by tomorrow week.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Think I read somewhere (can't find the link, sorry) that Citypost only have a coverage rate of 86% of Ireland (like most private couriers, they only deliver to the more accessible parts of the country, and leave the delivery of the more secluded, and hence not profitable, areas to An Post). Hence, not everyone was ever going to get one. Bet they were more careful with their election leaflets.

That'll make it all right then, sending final reminder notices that 'should be' delivered by the official payment deadline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

My parents got final reminder. They were a bit annoyed by the a final demand.

Advertisement