Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Website Project

• 25-02-2012 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, i created this basic webpage for a project in school..Can you give me any ideas or recommendations on where to upgrade the website :).

http://www.gamersgaf.com/index.html

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Nice effort, a couple of pointers:
    • All black web-sites are a personal hate of mine ( it's the non-Goth in me )
    • Your graphics and photos alike seem distorted or skewed. I don't know if this is deliberate, but it looks weird to me
    • Gaf as in a place is usually spelled gaff while the version denoting a mistake has a n 'e' at the end
    Try the paragraph below as an alternative to what you posted and maybe turn on spell-checking and grammar-checking when producing copy for a web-site just as you would for a newspaper column or a novel.

"Finbarr.inc was founded in 2011 by Finbarr, a budding entrepreneur whose main focus is on creating unique technology-based ventures. His first is called GamersGaf.

GamerGaf is an Irish internet forum where likeminded gamers can sign-in and discuss the latest and greatest in video-gaming news. Members of GamerGaf can access real-time RSS feeds from the most popular gaming websites including Kotauku, Joystiq and IGN.

Why not join now and participate in some GamerGaf discussions?"

HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

mathepac wrote: »
    Nice effort, a couple of pointers:
    • All black web-sites are a personal hate of mine ( it's the non-Goth in me )
    • Your graphics and photos alike seem distorted or skewed. I don't know if this is deliberate, but it looks weird to me
    • Gaf as in a place is usually spelled gaff while the version denoting a mistake has a n 'e' at the end
    Try the paragraph below as an alternative to what you posted and maybe turn on spell-checking and grammar-checking when producing copy for a web-site just as you would for a newspaper column or a novel.

"Finbarr.inc was founded in 2011 by Finbarr, a budding entrepreneur whose main focus is on creating unique technology-based ventures. His first is called GamersGaf.

GamerGaf is an Irish internet forum where likeminded gamers can sign-in and discuss the latest and greatest in video-gaming news. Members of GamerGaf can access real-time RSS feeds from the most popular gaming websites including Kotauku, Joystiq and IGN.

Why not join now and participate in some GamerGaf discussions?"

HTH

Thanks for the feedback.

Yea usually i go for white as well, but since it is for my project i decided to go for something different in an attempt to stand out..Hopefully not in a bad way:)
    In response to the name, I thought Gaf, with only 1 f looked "catchier" and for this reason i selected it.

My css file has a limit of 800px and i limited the dimensions of the pictures to make them look neat and tidy on the page..

Yea i swapped around the about us page to your layout..It looks nicer cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Don't resize the images using img height and width. Resize them using your graphics package to the size they are going to be displayed at.

Contact Us should link to a page with a form and email address at a minimum, not straight to a mailto.

Keep filenames in lower case.

Use a Facebook image for that link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

tricky D wrote: »
    Don't resize the images using img height and width. Resize them using your graphics package to the size they are going to be displayed at.

Contact Us should link to a page with a form and email address at a minimum, not straight to a mailto.

Keep filenames in lower case.

Use a Facebook image for that link.

Noted, i will create a contact us page instead of a mailto.

Yea i should have kept filenames all lowercase but at this stage, i have too many pages created and it would mean i would have to go through every page to check my filenames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Your images are huge, especially the background image. The background image is the same pattern repeating, so you can just cut out a tiny square of it, and set it to repeat and you will have nearly the same effect with an image size of under 1kb (it's nearly 150kb now). I know there is a slight gradient it in, but it's noticeabley slow on your web host that it's not justified using it. The jpg's can be saved with slightly lower quality and it won't make much a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Mullins07

I disagree that 'gaff' with one 'f' is catchier.
    I thought it was a misspelt domain name.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭benbob65

No info on the homepage whatsoever. What do you offer? Who is the site aimed at?

Advertisement