Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Sandyford - Where to look for a place?

Options
  • 25-02-2012 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've recently moved to my company's other site in Sandyford (from Fairview) and the commute which has been bad enough (more on this in a min) is now unworkable.

For the past year I've been commuting in every day from Cavan to Fairview. To be fair, with the M3 and M50 it's a 98% motorway trip that I can do in about 75 minutes and the drive itself doesn't bother me as I enjoy being in the car - the problem is the cost. Between diesel and tolls, it's been about €700 a month and that's not including the extra wear and tear and thus increased servicing costs a 1000km per week drive will put on a car.... but, because I was on short-ish term contract that was renewed twice over the course of last year, I put up with it and I guess this is my reward :)

But as I say, if I'm to add in the extra costs of the M50 toll every day and the additional time involved (especially as it seems people can't go 3 days in a row without causing a jam on the southbound stretch), it's frankly not something I can keep doing.

So I've been looking to move - but where? I am originally from Dublin's north side so know very little about the areas south of Blanchardstown beside the fact that there seems to be a ridiculous (and in my opinion unwarranted) premium over the north side equivalents.. but that's another argument!

There's also the problem that I'm in my mid-rapidly-approaching-late 30s and I'm just not cut out anymore for renting a room from someone (as I did when I was younger) or putting up with the potential pitfalls of a house share.

So that leaves getting a place of my own somewhere close to work - but within budget - which I guess (when I take off the cost of the commute and add on the increased costs of living back in Dublin) works out at up to €1000 a month.

Ideally then I'm looking for a 2-3 bed house or apartment (because the plan would be that my other half and child will join me later) within commuting distance to the work - but not so far out that I might as well stay where I am. Somewhere settled/quiet and secure is also high on the priorities list.

Am I asking too much? I've been using a combination of the AA route planner and daft and browsing the areas but again, I've no idea where's good and where should be avoided or where might be a disaster to get out of in the mornings (by car)

Sorry for the rambling but any advice much appreciated!

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Rathfarnham, or around Leopardstown / Stepaside might be a good place to start. Closer to town (but along the luas) you are looking at more one bed apartments for ~750 and above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Hey all,

I've recently moved to my company's other site in Sandyford (from Fairview) and the commute which has been bad enough (more on this in a min) is now unworkable.

For the past year I've been commuting in every day from Cavan to Fairview. To be fair, with the M3 and M50 it's a 98% motorway trip that I can do in about 75 minutes and the drive itself doesn't bother me as I enjoy being in the car - the problem is the cost. Between diesel and tolls, it's been about €700 a month and that's not including the extra wear and tear and thus increased servicing costs a 1000km per week drive will put on a car.... but, because I was on short-ish term contract that was renewed twice over the course of last year, I put up with it and I guess this is my reward :)

But as I say, if I'm to add in the extra costs of the M50 toll every day and the additional time involved (especially as it seems people can't go 3 days in a row without causing a jam on the southbound stretch), it's frankly not something I can keep doing.

So I've been looking to move - but where? I am originally from Dublin's north side so know very little about the areas south of Blanchardstown beside the fact that there seems to be a ridiculous (and in my opinion unwarranted) premium over the north side equivalents.. but that's another argument!

There's also the problem that I'm in my mid-rapidly-approaching-late 30s and I'm just not cut out anymore for renting a room from someone (as I did when I was younger) or putting up with the potential pitfalls of a house share.

So that leaves getting a place of my own somewhere close to work - but within budget - which I guess (when I take off the cost of the commute and add on the increased costs of living back in Dublin) works out at up to €1000 a month.

Ideally then I'm looking for a 2-3 bed house or apartment (because the plan would be that my other half and child will join me later) within commuting distance to the work - but not so far out that I might as well stay where I am. Somewhere settled/quiet and secure is also high on the priorities list.

Am I asking too much? I've been using a combination of the AA route planner and daft and browsing the areas but again, I've no idea where's good and where should be avoided or where might be a disaster to get out of in the mornings (by car)

Sorry for the rambling but any advice much appreciated!

Cheers...
    Studios can be got in Rathmines or Rathgar from 400 up to 600. 20 min drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Studios can be got in Rathmines or Rathgar from 400 up to 600. 20 min drive.
    Studios tend to be one bed, and thus won't suit the OP when his OH and child comes to live with him.

=-=

OP: how about Bray? A short hop down the M50 (Google maps says 10minutes). Did a quick look on Daft, and saw a few 2 and 3 bedroom houses going for €850-€1000 a month in Bray (very north Wicklow).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I work with a few people from Bray, if you are willing to leave a little earlier (and if the job allows some flexitime) and start work around 8am and leave by 4:30, It's quite handy as you beat traffic, and can get parking easily enough. Still, it's not so good for public transport beyond the DART.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Firhouse... 10 to 15 minute commute..

Or knocklyon, similar..

• Advertisement
Advertisement