Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar - Tuning by Ear

Options
  • 26-02-2012 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

How many of you do it? I recently took up trying to learn to play again and my old guitar is decidedly out of tune.

Trying to sort it, I happened across this awesome website, very helpful. Anyone else used it before?

http://wickedguitartuner.com/

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I have Nothing Else Matters embedded in my head, and I can tune a guitar to that, (and then use the fifth fret trick on the D and A)... But I couldnt do it at a live gig. ..

I'd love to be able to learn to identify chords by ear, like perfect pitch.. And I'm open to any suggestions as to how I could teach myself.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ha enter sandman was mine! James hetfields E sounds like a church bell......Dooooonnnnnnnng!
    well that was pre youtube, now i find youtube has made me too lazy to even plug in me tuner!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

the only way to tune is harmonics on the 5th and 7th fret. gets it spot on. Or you can get a right handy tuner on your smart phone if you couldnt be arsed. I downloaded gStrings and it works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I always tune by ear. When I'm playing bass I'll get an open G off the guitarist and go from there using harmonics. Of course that involves trusting that the guitarist is in tune :).

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

For years I used to used a tuning fork for the A string and tune the rest by ear using harmonics. Then I got lazy and bought an electronic tuner :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

yeah it's mad when you take a tuned by ear guitar and then plug in a chromatic tuner and see how far it's out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Trevor Kent

I can tune by ear pretty good. All you need is a song embedded in your head as JonathanAnon suggests.
    As for learning to identify chords by ear, that just happened me over time. Dont really have a method, but I would say it would be similar to tuning by ear i.e. you know how to play song in a certain key, playing certain chords, these become embedded in your head, you get used to hearing them. So when you hear them again in another song or just played open on their own, you get reminded of a song that starts in that chord, or has that chord in the chord progression.

Advertisement