Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to cone on post op dog

• 26-02-2012 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

My little Lola just got spayed on Wednesday. I took a few days off work to look after her post op and so she didn't need cone or anything. My boyfriend bought her back to the vets today (I was working) and they said she has to wear the cone because although she not pulling at stitches, she is licking the scar which will cause it to swell and become irritated.

The thing is, as fantastic as she is, the poor girl wasn't born with grace and she's like a bull in a china shop walking around the house! She's getting caught in EVERYTHING and is just so akward:o

It's been on her all day now and going to bed soon and I want her to be comfortable so just wondering if there's any harm leaving it off her for the night or is there an alternative anyone can suggest?

Or is it just a neccessary evil for her?!

Any help welcomed thanks guys and gals:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I've never put a cone on my dog, my vet doesn't believe in them but then, he is of the belief you should be watching them and stopping the licking if necessary. My fella attempted the licking, when neutered, but I kept stopping him but I was lucky, I had time off work. Next time he should have had a cone, he seemed to have an association in his brain somewhere. Vigilance is my vet's advice and he also said nothing wrong with bringing the dog to the bedroom for a few nights so I could keep an eye on him. My vet thinks that it causes too much stress and impacts the dog's recovery, therefore, he won't give out the cones. I know this is no help to you, other than I hope it makes you less hard on yourself, if you feel it's wrong for your pet and you have the time, you could just watch her, feck the cone. Hope she's better soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

How big is she. A friend of mine is putting a baby gro on her new dog to stop it getting at the stitches. Obviously if your dog is a lab this wont work :D

You can get inflatable rings that go around the neck. I got mine in Petmania. Basically they are a bit like one of those travel pillow. you blow it up and thread the collar around through the loops on the inside of the ring and pop it on your dog's head.

They arent that cheap but are reusuable and fold away flat when you arent using them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I had a similar problem recently and I started this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76976006

In the end I had to use the buster collar and it worked out OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Unfortunately 24/7 supervision is not possible because I had to go back to work... She was grand the first few days but just yesterday started licking the wound. She sleeps in our room every night anyway and took it off her last night so she had a comfy sleep and she was grand, just told her "NO" anytime she went to lick the wound.

Some great ideas, @inexile, she's a collie so don't think a babygro would fit:D but it's a brilliant idea for smaller dogs. Might have a look for the inflatable rings today, thanks very much.

@paultf, Thanks a mill for the link, very helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

magentas wrote: »
    Unfortunately 24/7 supervision is not possible because I had to go back to work... She was grand the first few days but just yesterday started licking the wound. She sleeps in our room every night anyway and took it off her last night so she had a comfy sleep and she was grand, just told her "NO" anytime she went to lick the wound.

Some great ideas, @inexile, she's a collie so don't think a babygro would fit:D but it's a brilliant idea for smaller dogs. Might have a look for the inflatable rings today, thanks very much.

@paultf, Thanks a mill for the link, very helpful

One of my dogs had a cataract done recently and had to wear the cone! She was a disaster with it for the first two days but did get used to it! If you are going to use to don't keep putting it on and off! I only used to take it off at feeding time! I felt do bad putting it on her but it was for the best and was only for a week! Like other posters I had the week off work and tried her without cone, told her no anytime she went near her eye but we had a few near misses and couldn't risk it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

We fostered over 8 dogs and all of them got neutered while in our care. I found it best to leave the cone off them for the majority of the time. It was only overnight or times when we were not around that we put it on. Usually once they are distracted and supervised they leave their stitches alone.
    They do get itchy once they start to heal which is also why they lick them. But I found that they almost seem to heal quicker the longer the cone is off them ... I think it can cause them to get more depressed and down when they have it on (it cant be the most comfortable thing in the world!).
    I never heard of the baby grow thing before, would it not be bad as the material would be rubbing off the stitches and cause them to become inflammed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I've never put a cone on my dog, my vet doesn't believe in them but then, he is of the belief you should be watching them and stopping the licking if necessary. My fella attempted the licking, when neutered, but I kept stopping him but I was lucky, I had time off work. Next time he should have had a cone, he seemed to have an association in his brain somewhere. Vigilance is my vet's advice and he also said nothing wrong with bringing the dog to the bedroom for a few nights so I could keep an eye on him. My vet thinks that it causes too much stress and impacts the dog's recovery, therefore, he won't give out the cones. I know this is no help to you, other than I hope it makes you less hard on yourself, if you feel it's wrong for your pet and you have the time, you could just watch her, feck the cone. Hope she's better soon

That's a very unusual Vet & I hope that he doesn't come to regret his advice. I know someone who was being very vigilant but, in the time that it took her to go to the loo, the dog had ripped out several stitches. The dog had to be rushed to the Vets, nice expensive out of hours visit & it had to be anaesthetised all over again.

One of the reasons why the Buster is pretty standard is that, from what I can see, none of the alternatives are risk free. As much as I hate the cone I don't believe that causes enough stress to increase the healing time & any contact with the wound is going to increase it.

One thing that you can do is rearrange the room to minimise "collisions".

OP did you get her done at Barna - I have had a few discussions with Leanne regarding buster alternatives :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Discodog wrote: »
    That's a very unusual Vet & I hope that he doesn't come to regret his advice. I know someone who was being very vigilant but, in the time that it took her to go to the loo, the dog had ripped out several stitches. The dog had to be rushed to the Vets, nice expensive out of hours visit & it had to be anaesthetised all over again.

One of the reasons why the Buster is pretty standard is that, from what I can see, none of the alternatives are risk free. As much as I hate the cone I don't believe that causes enough stress to increase the healing time & any contact with the wound is going to increase it.

One thing that you can do is rearrange the room to minimise "collisions".

OP did you get her done at Barna - I have had a few discussions with Leanne regarding buster alternatives :D

It probably isn't usual advice, but it worked for my dog. He bounced back from both procedures no bother but then I did have the time to monitor him. I suppose it also helps that my fella is a bit of a mammy's boy and when he's out of sorts, he has to be stuck to my side at all times, so follows me everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Hi DD, yeah I got her done in Barna, I really like the staff out there and their practice. They use propofol with oxygen etc. during the operation, I think it's a safer method and I always feel like my babas are in good hands out there!

So what alternatives did you suggest to them?!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

That's a very unusual Vet & I hope that he doesn't come to regret his advice.

I know another vet who has said he's used only 1 or 2 buster collars in 20-odd years in practice. Reckons that once you leave the stitches loose enough it shouldn't cause discomfort. From my own experience I can see why you wouldn't use a cone in some situations, I remember one dog who after bladder surgery would spend every waking moment circling around a kennel pulling at his head to get it off, once it was off he lay down and ignored the wound, could've done more damage thrashing around a kennel.

One thing I will say is be careful cutting the cone to a smaller size, if you cut it too short your aswell to take the cone off altogether if the dog is able to reach the wound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I know another vet who has said he's used only 1 or 2 buster collars in 20-odd years in practice. Reckons that once you leave the stitches loose enough it shouldn't cause discomfort.

I wonder how a Vet would react if you sued him when your dog rips out it's stitches ? It just seems one heck of a risk.
    magentas wrote: »
    Hi DD, yeah I got her done in Barna, I really like the staff out there and their practice. They use propofol with oxygen etc. during the operation, I think it's a safer method and I always feel like my babas are in good hands out there!

So what alternatives did you suggest to them?!cool.gif

Well I hate buster collars & we did discuss some alternatives. But one of the things that I love about Leeane is she is never afraid to give an opinion & I didn't fancy having to bring a dog back with chewed stitches :eek:. They are a really nice bunch & one of them might even be reading this :P.

I have met & worked with a lot of Vets & I would put her practice right at the very top - must be something to do with being all female ;).

This little guy's expression sums up busters rather well - nicked from Leanne's website !

treatments.jpg

Advertisement