Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Bulldog Puppy

Options
  • 26-02-2012 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I want one. And I'm prepared to travel out of Galway for it. THATS how serious I am :D

Please help if you know anyone. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The good folks in Animals can help I'm sure, from West forum.

Btw, did you ring local shelters to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hope you have plenty of money. You are looking at anywhere between 1500-3000 for one.

Travel out of Galway? you will prob have to travel out of Ireland to get one.

There arent very many reputable breeders in Ireland so theres usually a waiting list for them.

If you want me to suggest a breeder let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

I cannot understand why you would even consider paying such an outrageous amount for a pedigree dog.
    There are countless animals in shelters and pounds who will give as much and more affection as any of these fashionable dogs.
    Take a look into your local Galway pound,see the desperation of some of these animals who would love a good home and you would not have to spend 3000 on them.
    This is not my agenda to push people to take dogs who have no hope from a pound or shelter but whats wrong with stating the obvious,why would you spend so much money on a dog when you do not have to.Whats the difference between a terrier and a french bulldog,just their looks.I do hope in this day and age we are mature enough to base a decision on practicality rather than a desire to stand out from the crowd,even you could reason with that adrenalinejunkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I cannot understand why you would even consider paying such an outrageous amount for a designer dog.
    There are countless animals in shelters and pounds who will give as much and more affection as any of these media driven designer dogs.
    Take a look into your local Galway pound,see the desperation of some of these animals who would love a good home and you would not have to spend 3000 on them.
    Unfortunately this designer breed craze is still a hangover from the celtic tiger mess and its also the same catalyst fueling many of the puppy farms.

First of all the french bulldog is not a 'designer breed'.
    Second of all - pushing rescues in threads it is not wanted in and pushing a personal agenda is not tolerated in this forum. Please read, understand and comply with the forum charter if you wish to continue posting here.
    Your post is rude, obnoxious, offensive and your 'facts' are incorrect.

Do not reply to this post.

Sorry 200yrolecrank, but a French Bulldog is not a designer breed so i dont know where you got your information from but its wrong.

Frenchies are a pedigree dog, but are very expensive to buy.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry 200yrolecrank, but a French Bulldog is not a designer breed so i dont know where you got your information from but its wrong.

Frenchies are a pedigree dog, but are very expensive to buy.
    <snip>
    What

[<snip>
    What

Whats your point? Thats a pic of a Frenchie with a bandana on it.

Do you know what the term designer dog even means? Im guessing not...:rolleyes:

<snip>
    What
    I'm going to ask you one more time to read the forum charter, do not post links to adverts on this forum. If you wish to have some sort of debate then start your own thread for the purpose. Have a bit of respect for the OP and stop hijacking this one for your own purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I think French Bulldogs look great , I'd love one but I have heard they are very pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I love them as well - my girlfriend and I are definitely gonna get one when we finally get off our asses nd move in together haha :D

Here are a few numbers i would advise calling :)

-Mr. M. Steele (Assistant Sectretary) (071-9640674) Bulldog club of Ireland
    -Mrs. C. Muldoon (Secretary) (045-864888) All Ireland Bull Breeds Assoc.

(Numbers taken from IKC Website)

These people will definitely be able to help recommending any reputable breeders to you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Whats the difference between a terrier and a french bulldog,just their looks.

:rolleyes: just wow!

OP there's a guy in kildare breeding extremely good stock. KC will have his number but i believe the waiting list is quite long as he only has a couple of bitches and doesnt churn them out like a factory.

Whats the difference between a terrier and a french bulldog,just their looks..[/QUOTE]

You really havent a clue....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

In defence of 200yrole I can see what they mean. Some people don't want a particular type of dog, just a dog. A dog is a dog and their basic needs would be similar. When you're not into certain breeds the money people can pay for a pedigree can seem ridiculous when there are other dogs available.

While I know the importance of choosing a breed to suit your lifestyle, some people consider a dog as a dog, not a breed of dog (if that makes any sense what so ever!).

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

good luck getting one in a rescue.. i'd love one too, they're little bundles of awesome, i know someone who breeds them, i'll pm you a link

Whats the difference between a terrier and a french bulldog,just their looks..[/QUOTE]

Actually I have kept dogs for years,I have one pure bread and a crossed k9.
    They both sit,heal and stay at a command,they both provide equal affection,loyalty and obedience.
    They both look great which is trivial really as it should not matter how the dog looks if they have the listed characteristics.
    I didn't pay big money for either as I never see the need to pay such money for a dog or a cat or a lizard as really who sets this sealing.
    The price is only determined by how much you are willing to pay for a commodity and unfortunately dogs like a French bulldog are bread like a commodity solely on their monetary value thus dogs if less status or rarity are over looked but can display equal characteristics as they are all just dogs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

They both sit,heal and stay at a command,they both provide equal affection,loyalty and obedience.
    They both look great which is trivial really as it should not matter how the dog looks if they have the listed characteristics.
    I didn't pay big money for either as I never see the need to pay such money for a dog or a cat or a lizard as really who sets this sealing.
    The price is only determined by how much you are willing to pay for a commodity and unfortunately dogs like a French bulldog are bread like a commodity solely on their monetary value thus dogs if less status or rarity are over looked but can display equal characteristics as they are all just dogs.

Youve already been warned twice--Consider this a final warning--Drop this agenda or Im giving you a break from the forum.The OP wants a french bulldog not a lecture to get a rescue dog

Hellrazer wrote: »

Youve already been warned twice--Consider this a final warning--Drop this agenda or Im giving you a break from the forum.The OP wants a french bulldog not a lecture to get a rescue dog
    Helleazer point taken but I am not trying to push a rescue.
    I am entitled to defend a remark made by andreac given that this is an open forum.

Whats the difference between a terrier and a french bulldog,just their looks..[/

QUOTE]

Do you know anything about Frenchies or dogs for that matter? Obviously not if you mention "bread" and "heal" in the same sentence with the word dog :rolleyes:

Frenchies are costly to breed as a lot of the time they cannot whelp naturally so they have to have c-sections so its costly for them to breed a litter, hence the high price. They arent a common breed so again, the price is usually higher.

All dogs differ as every breed is different, whether its in looks, type, temperament etc. So if someone wants a boxer or a labrador are you going to say the same to them??
    Not everyone wants a cross breed or a rescue, some people like breeds, so what the problem if they cost money? I own rottweilers and have always wanted one, does that mean its bad because ive paid money for them, i dont think so.
    Same can be said for anything you pay for, you can get cheap and expensive things, it up to the individual what they spend their money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

The reasons that frenchies are so expensive is because the majority of births are c-section and surgical intervention costs money. Even if they aren't sectioned, veterinary observation is critical due the risks involved due to the size of their heads in comparison to other breeds. Also litters are fairly small so of course this impacts on the price you pay and a good breeder won't breed as often either.

Some people love certain breeds of dogs due to the inherited characteristics of the breed, some people don't care if they have a mutt or a pure breed. But the OP is looking for help with a certain breed and somehow you have managed to turn the thread into a pure breed v mongrel debate!

OP, I have friends in the same position as yourself, they really want a frenchie but are still on the fence, not for the money aspect but because of the risks involved for the bitch. The facts are that at least 80% of frenchies are born by c-section and the risks involved for the bitch having to undergo an anesthetic just to reproduce doesn't sit well with them. I kind of agree, while I don't like the idea of surgery for anything other than emergencies, I wouldn't like to see the breed disappear into extinction, rather a breeding programme be established that would better the health and work against what kennel clubs consider "breed standard" - ie have a face so flat that it affects their breathing and a skull so rotund it prevents a natural birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Snap with AndreaC, cross posted.

• Advertisement

I'll answer this for you, seeing as it is obscurely relevant to the thread and will probably be of help to the OP - French bulldogs are a rare breed. The price reflects the level of care and costs involved in ensuring the parents are suitable to breed from. This includes heart testing, eye testing, breathing testing, hearing testing, spine x-rays and hip-scoring and in a lot of cases an on call vet around whelping time. Because the gene-pool is small it's often necessary to import dogs from Europe to ensure genetic diversity within the breed. If you care to educate yourself you can read about it here.

OP, I know of a breeder who currently has a show quality pup for sale, they are located in Northern Ireland but the advantage of this is that they are part of the UK kennel clubs accredited breeder scheme, I can send you a link to their site if you wish. If your not interested in showing it would still be worth your while contacting them about future pet quality puppies.

Some people see a dog as a dog as opposed to a breed. If I wanted another dog I know that I want something medium energy, medium sized and a breed not know for any major health complaints. Beyond that I wouldn't care. I'd probably contact a rescue, tell them my needs and what type of home I can offer and let them suggest. I honestly think that is what they meant by saying there is no difference. I would say that if I wanted a "lab type" then asking if I'd consider a boxer would be reasonable enough. It doesn't mean I don't have a clue, It's just another way to choose a dog as opposed to wanting a certain breed and nothing else.

Whispered wrote: »
    Some people see a dog as a dog as opposed to a breed.

The OP is not one of them.

The OP is not one of them.

I understand that AJ but making out someone is stupid because they don't view dogs and dog breeds in the same way as you do yourself is a bit unfair don't you think. Off topic of course, but not stupid.

Andreac you really are being pedantic,I am typing this from my phone in the middle of a lunch break after a hectic morning,excuse my spelling although I am sure you will do your best to find fault with whatever I have to see in this thread as it runs against your opinion or agenda I suspect.
    I will simplify my point for you,why pay so much for a dog that is not necessary.
    Aj I am not trying to derail this thread but rather find that anything I say has been taken to heart by some posters yourself included leading towards an unfair bias.
    I have every right to exercise my right to defend my position if a poster makes a jibe at me,I am not being critical of the op just giving an opinion to them that may help or not help them choose an animal.

Andreac you really are being pedantic,I am typing this from my phone in the middle of a lunch break after a hectic morning,excuse my spelling although I am sure you will do your best to find fault with whatever I have to see in this thread as it runs against your opinion or agenda I suspect.
    I will simplify my point for you,why pay so much for a dog that is not necessary.
    Aj I am not trying to derail this thread but rather find that anything I say has been taken to heart by some posters yourself included leading towards an unfair bias.
    I have every right to exercise my right to defend my position if a poster makes a jibe at me,I am not being critical of the op just giving an opinion to them that may help or not help them choose an animal.

Why pay for anything that isnt necessary then? I wanted a rottweiler all my life and finally got one 5 years ago. I had to buy pedigree as i wanted to show it and ensure i was getting a healthy, well bred, responsibly bred dog, which costs money. It has paid off for me as my dog was top rottie in ireland in 2011. Just because someone pays for a dog doesnt mean theres anything wrong with it.
    You started off by saying that Frenchies are designer dogs which is completely incorrect, so you didnt have your facts right at all, thats what the issue is.

Why pay for anything that isnt necessary then? I wanted a rottweiler all my life and finally got one 5 years ago. I had to buy pedigree as i wanted to show it and ensure i was getting a healthy, well bred, responsibly bred dog, which costs money. It has paid off for me as my dog was top rottie in ireland in 2011. Just because someone pays for a dog doesnt mean theres anything wrong with it.
    You started off by saying that Frenchies are designer dogs which is completely incorrect, so you didnt have your facts right at all, thats what the issue is.

Whatever as predicted you have to nitpick my post as your so caught up in your own agenda and mods don't worry I won't be responding to this thread again as I wouldn't want to feed the burning desire of some posters to lambast a poster with a different opinion to them.
    Andreac your reasoning sounds just like what an auctioneer told me in 2007 about getting on the ladder and the price to do it.

Whatever as predicted you have to nitpick my post as your so caught up in your own agenda and mods don't worry I won't be responding to this thread again as I wouldn't want to feed the burning desire of some posters to lambast a poster with a different opinion to them.
    Andreac your reasoning sounds just like what an auctioneer told me in 2007 about getting on the ladder and the price to do it.

The thing is you didnt state your opinion, you stated incorrect facts about pedigree dogs, thats not an opinion.

I honestly dont know what your problem is with buying a dog, but you really havent a clue what you are on about, stated incorrect facts and so on about pedigree dogs. If you dont want to buy a dog then dont, but dont discourage someone else because they want to, jeez:rolleyes:.

The op wants a Frenchie, they dont come cheap, so whats the problem, only your opinion on by the looks of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Helleazer point taken but I am not trying to push a rescue.
    I am entitled to defend a remark made by andreac given that this is an open forum.

Not when youve been warned by 2 mods already to drop this and are still trying to derail the thread.

The OP asked for info on a particular breed and you are opinion ramming with your telling them to get a rescue.

Have you even thought that they might not want one and have their mind set on a Frenchie regardless of the expense??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Frenchies are nice. I love the look of the Boston Terrier.

Advertisement