Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Male Wants Hair Style Advice!

• 26-02-2012 4:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

Yeah, so at the risk of being flamed unmercifully, I'm a 36 year old male looking for hairstyle advice :pac:

You see, I've had long hair since my early teens and as such, I just don't know what kinda hair cut would suit me. I mean, I haven't been in a barbers since I was 13!! Some of my apprehension also comes from the fact that I have a big old noggin which I'd like to camouflage. I'm never going to be hip or trendy, but it would be nice to have something that actually suits me.

So where do I start? Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Peter Mark perhaps, I'm told they know what they are at.
    May have to join you soon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

How long is long??

I would recommend Toni & Guy on Clarendon St, Dublin 2 if you're in Dublin. But for any dramatic hair cut, go for a consultation first. They are free and you can usually just walk in off the street to a salon and ask. You may have to wait a few minutes for a stylist to become available.

I find the consultaion gives you time to talk about what you want, and the stylist can give feedback re what will and won't work. And then you have some time then to think about it before you make the appointment.

Have you anything in mind? Start thinking, maybe get a few pictures together to show hairdresser what you're looking for. You can get something "fashionable" that will have a bit of length if that's how you want to keep it. Could be scary going for a really short cut though first time round. Better to leave room to cut more than be stuck too short.

Once you've gotten the first cut (in a salon like T&G will be €40+ I think), you may be able to maintain it in a cheaper barbers.

Alex James is about 35 I think and he has a longer cut. Could be an option.

alex-james_532_1456504a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Thanks for the response Twee.
    How long is long??
    Half way between shoulders and middle of my back I guess, always kept tied back, which is in itself, pointless!
    I would recommend Toni & Guy on Clarendon St, Dublin 2 if you're in Dublin. But for any dramatic hair cut, go for a consultation first. They are free and you can usually just walk in off the street to a salon and ask. You may have to wait a few minutes for a stylist to become available.

I find the consultaion gives you time to talk about what you want, and the stylist can give feedback re what will and won't work. And then you have some time then to think about it before you make the appointment.
    Never thought of a consultation. Will definitely do that before taking the plunge.

Have you anything in mind?
    Nothing really specific, although I know with my big head, any kind of short or tight hair cut wouldn't feel right.
    Start thinking, maybe get a few pictures together to show hairdresser what you're looking for.
    Hopefully, they'll be able to show me a few styles that they think would suit my head/face!

Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Go on, shave it :D Pics before and after

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Thanks for the response Twee.

Half way between shoulders and middle of my back I guess, always kept tied back, which is in itself, pointless!

Never thought of a consultation. Will definitely do that before taking the plunge.

Nothing really specific, although I know with my big head, any kind of short or tight hair cut wouldn't feel right.

Hopefully, they'll be able to show me a few styles that they think would suit my head/face!

Thanks for the feedback.

Oh very long then! Do you remember the guy on 10 Years Younger a few years ago? He had super long hair and a beard, and, well, they sheared the lad!

10-years-younger-s4e9_200x113.jpg

I'm a bit precious about my hair to be honest, so I find the consultation part great. I have had many a bad hair cut so like to be sure these days before splashing the cash :D

The hairdressers will have magazines and the likes to look through, you're bound to find something you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Thanks for the feedback again Twee.

And @ celticcrash, no ;)

Advertisement