Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever had a near-death experience?

• 26-02-2012 4:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

When i was 2 or so I had a massive asthma attack and nearly died (my face was blue apparently). Thats all so far thankfully:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Nah, I thought I was dying or dead when I had sleep paralysis though. I was 15 and hadn't a clue what was going on, scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

When I was young I was running out our driveway onto the lane that we live off of (was in a rush to get down to our neighbours where they and my brothers were kicking around a football). It's a narrow lane, and there was a tractor coming down it fairly fast that practically took up the whole width of the lane. I was completely oblivious to it of course, never copped the noise and couldn't see it over the hedge. Was running out the gate quite fast when I stopped suddenly because I saw a snail in our driveway. I stopped to pick him up and put him in the grass so he wouldn't get run over - had I not stopped, I would have been squashed by tractor wheels taller than I was. I saved that snails life, and he also saved mine, but I still seem to be the only person who thinks Pixar should make a movie out of it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

John Doe1 wrote: »
    When i was 2 or so I had a massive asthma attack and nearly died (my face was blue apparently). Thats all so far thankfully:cool:

Your parents, they jinxed you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

By "near death experience" do you mean tunnels and God and sh-t, or do you mean something like The Tractor And The Snail story above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

nearly drowned when I was a kid, was swimming in the sea with one of those big inflatable rubber ring things, I got flipped over and couldnt right myself up so was basically hanging upside down in the ocean and drowning, one of my friends flipped me around the right way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Yeah asthma too. Scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've had mental health issues throughout my formative years and beyond. On January 6th 2006 I took my mothers handbag and made a noose out of it and attached it from an outside swing we had. I remember pondering before I jumped from the perch the finality of it all.

The initial physical aspect of the event was quite horrific, the jump i had gauged was not sufficient. I remember a death like grip on my throat before the blackness. When I woke up I was in Nenagh hospital in the company of my parents, I made a bad choice that night, no matter how bad you feel its always worth continuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭highfive

Yeah more than 1!

When I was young I was following my mate cycling around and he obviously saw a chance to pull out into traffic from the curb. I followed blindly and 'SCREEECH', a transit was right up my arse and the bloke gave me a right earful bout how I should be dead if only he didn't jam on the brakes.

That wasn't the scariest. I was only 12 or 13 then. A couple years ago rented a van to drive to London. needed to pull in to look at map just before Liverpool. Saw a hard shoulder, slowed a bit, pulled in, lashed on the brakes, skidded the last 5 meters till I hit where the hard shoulder was finished in a curb cutting back on to the main motorway, if u know what I mean. 2 seconds of quiet, then a massive juggernaut whooshed past probably 3 meters away. I should be brown bread If not for lady luck.

Moral of the story: 1 look before you leap and 2 don't be intimated by anyone or anything on the road(or elsewhere for that matter!), slow right the fcuk down as much as you need to even if u feel like you're in the way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yeah had a massive brain haemorrhage about six weeks ago. The headache was so bad at one stage that I decided to go to bed for a few hours. Had I fallen asleep and not got help I'd have died or would be profoundly handicapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 deadmanshand08

J. Marston wrote: »
    Nah, I thought I was dying or dead when I had sleep paralysis though. I was 15 and hadn't a clue what was going on, scary.

Has happened to me also at least 5 times wen I was younger.. very scary. I used to force my body to stay awake thru it an then I d get up an pinch myself or pour water on my face to make sure I wasn dreaming... has happened in round 8 yrs tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've had mental health issues throughout my formative years and beyond. On January 6th 2006 I took my mothers handbag and made a noose out of it and attached it from an outside swing we had. I remember pondering before I jumped from the perch the finality of it all.

The initial physical aspect of the event was quite horrific, the jump i had gauged was not sufficient. I remember a death like grip on my throat before the blackness. When I woke up I was in Nenagh hospital in the company of my parents, I made a bad choice that night, no matter how bad you feel its always worth continuing.

Holy sh*t.. I'm glad you're here to tell the tale.

Honestly I really am. One of my best mates commit suicide before Christmas by hanging and I can't get the image of what he went through in the final minutes out of my head and keep wondering if he considered ringing or texting any of his bud's for help before doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

When I was about seven we were waiting to cross a main road. I incorrectly thought my parents had started to cross so I stepped into the road, and suddenly realised vehicles were bearing down on me. I then just ran blindly across in terror, just managing to avoid getting run down by some sort of van.

When I was about 20 I was waiting to cross a main road. I was at traffic lights in central London. A car stopped so I assumed the light had turned red and I started to cross. I missed being bashed by a bus by a couple of centimetres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Yeah had a massive brain haemorrhage about six weeks ago. The headache was so bad at one stage that I decided to go to bed for a few hours. Had I fallen asleep and not got help I'd have died or would be profoundly handicapped.

That's fuckin scary.

You okay now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

That's fuckin scary.

You okay now?
    My left hand and leg are still a bit off but other than that sound thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Holy sh*t.. I'm glad you're here to tell the tale.

Honestly I really am. One of my best mates commit suicide before Christmas by hanging and I can't get the image of what he went through in the final minutes out of my head and keep wondering if he considered ringing or texting any of his bud's for help before doing it.

Cheers man thanks, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Suicide is an awful conclusion for somebody to reach in their life. It's only after surviving an attempt that you realize how much people care about you and what you've still got to offer the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Corkboi

****, glad your ok man. And you r right, it is always best to continue......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

does standing beside someone who is dead count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I ran out of McDonald's one day, I nearly died when I had to get up and buy more, does that count #fattyinmickyds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

had one lucky escape at work when a 16 Bar pressure steam line exploded in my face :eek:, still believe there was someone looking out for me that day because i should not have survived that , at least not without being horribly burned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I've had a few! Was putting together a huge chandelier in work one day, was hanging 12 foot up, weighed 70 kilos and had pointy glass drops on it. I was on a ladder under it, customer called me and literally as soon as I'd taken my foot off the last rung of the ladder the chandelier fell and smashed into smithereens. Everyone said if I'd still been under it I'd have been killed.
    Few weeks later in the same job a huge chunk of concrete fell from the original ceiling and just missed me.
    I was starting to wonder did someone have it in for me by that stage!
    Oh,and I nearly drowned in an aqua park in Spain, lifeguard took ages to save me!
    Think that's them all..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Does drinking turpentine when your 5 count.i thought it was 7up.had my stomach pumped and that was it thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

In Malta a few years back, the car I was travelling in nearly got smushed by a lorry. Luckily the car stalled and the truck missed us. Was only recently myself and my friend talked about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I stopped breathing and started to turn blue while my mam was holding me in her arms a few hours after I was born.

Makes me shudder to think about it! Thankfully I got the medical attention I needed on time.

That's all I can think of right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Was knocked down by a car and have no recollection of the impact but waking up in my homeplace and being brought to hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭paintitblack

I swallowed a bottle of sleeping tablets when i was 3, had to be rushed to hospital and stomach pumped, my friends say it explains a lot about me! Also our house burnt down during the night when i was ten. . . We got out but Firemen said if we had woken a few mins later it would have been too late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

In my personal/private life I've had no near death experiences that I can recall.

In my working/professional life I've had a few yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Probably more than I know (and that's true for almost everyone)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

pragmatic1 wrote: »

wow man thats tough, my granny had a brain haemorage and for 30 years lost the ability to speak and move by herself, i never had a conversation in my life:(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitmb

I nearly drowned at 7,got my foot caught in a rope in a pool and kept going up and down,up and down til finally someone copped.....petrified of water since!

Also,last yr sometime I was overtaking a fuel tanker thingy on the motorway when along came an old dear in a red opel corsa heading straight for me on the overtaking lane!!! She had no clue she was on the wrong side.....serious brown trouser job!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I was dropped on my head as a child and I suffered brain damage.

I was 7 years old and I was on a boat on the Thames in London. As the boat pulled up to the quay, the man had opened the exit and entrance gates and I was about to step of when the upwhoosh of water as the boat pulls in to dock caused the boat to move outwards. I had literally stepped out and was about to fall, I could see down about 30 feet into the waters of the Thames roiling and the huge steel bulk of the side of the ship against the concrete quay, when the men put his hand on me and stopped me from falling. I would've stepped into space and been crushed by the boat which was fairly big against the quay, been mangled and squished and falling into the Thames to drown.

Bastard shouldn't have opened the gates until it was safe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

A number of times I have been close to death - but sadly for Fianna Fail and others, I'm still here to be a thorn in their side! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Nearly drowned when I was about 4 when I jumped into a pool without my armbands. The lifeguard never saw me, but I managed to grab onto one of the other kids in my class, who kept trying to kick me off, and me there shotuing 'I'm drowning!' at him.

I used to get really bad tonsilitis as a kid, had a temperature over 104F once, and felt like I was floating. Another degree or so and I'd have gotten brain damage. I really don't miss my tonsils; little feckers were always trying to kill me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I went to an boards beers a while back. I was wearing my skinny jeans. I walked in looking a bit lost and Degsy said to me, "you here for the boards beers boss?". Quickly realising I was the only one wearing them I just said, "No I'm just leaving, I was here with a few friends watching the match".
    Got a taxi straight home and cried myself to sleep. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Walked around with a clot in my lung for the gut's of a week....collapsed in the street and came to in A&E with an elephant sitting on my chest.....or that's what it felt like:eek::eek::eek:

Also had a post op haemhorrage (spelling?? Close enough;)), was the verge of a stroke, they told me later....stilll remember the nurses literally squeezing the bag of blood to speed up the process.....:eek:

Gotta say this Boardsie would not be here if it weren't for the the HSE, for all its faults!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HAAA! HAAA!

Prof Pim VanLommel
    (Lancet, Vol. 358, 15 December 2001, p 2039)

Life after death and all that lark.
    Probably worth a look.
    Just saying.

'Today I died' documentary is interesting too (but a bit weak).

And theres some highfalutin scientist wan on TED talks (big smarty pants convention) too who had a brain hemorrhage and died and what she describes is pretty amazing. Can't think of her name.

NDE's (and the whole mind vs brain thing) although controversial can no longer be whimsically written of as just airy fairy bullshyt, too much evidence and too many notable scientists at this stage.

Cynics must actually take time out and properly examine it now, the logic hammer can't crack it in one blow. Win or lose, that puts it in a different league to little green men and Elvis' resurrection.

Thank you.
    Thank you very much.

• Advertisement

I went to an boards beers a while back. I was wear my skinny jeans. I walked in looking a bit lost and Degsy said to me, "you here for the boards beers boss?". Quickly realising I was the only one wearing them I just said, "No I'm just leaving, I was here with a few friends watching the match".
    Got a taxi straight home and cried myself to sleep. :(

Awww Teddy.......don't blame you......skinny jeans are sooooooooooo last Year!!;)

Prof Pim VanLommel
    (Lancet, Vol. 358, 15 December 2001, p 2039)

Life after death and all that lark.
    Probably worth a look.
    Just saying.

'Today I died' documentary is interesting too (but a bit weak).

And theres some highfalutin scientist wan on TED talks (big smarty pants convention) too who had a brain hemorrhage and died and what she describes is pretty amazing. Can't think of her name.

NDE's (and the whole mind vs brain thing) although controversial can no longer be whimsically written of as just airy fairy bullshyt, too much evidence and too many notable scientists at this stage.

Cynics must actually take time out and properly examine it now, the logic hammer can't crack it in one blow. Win or lose, that puts it in a different league to little green men and Elvis' resurrection.

Thank you.
    Thank you very much.

Provocative Username....it took me 3/4 looks to realise that you were Thanking my post and not laughing at it!!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Me and my cousin played hangman for real before, we were around 8 and I was standing on a crate with a noose around my neck and got the word wrong, she kicked the crate and I dangled for a little while then my mam just happened to see me because she had been in the front room and we were out the back. My cousin had run away and if my mam didn't come out when she did I wouldn't be alive.

Another time I was quad biking up in Tipperary on a track. I lost control and didn't take my thumb off the throttle so I went straight into barriers at really high speed. I was knocked unconscious for about 2 minutes and when I came around I was completely dazed and confused but I continued on and finished the track. When I got off the quad I fell to the floor and couldn't stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Don't know if it was a near death experience per se, but I was kidnapped when I was 3 years old. Has left me with several mental problems unfortunately...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

The standard running across the road and almost drowning in a pool, yeah.

It only really occured to me how bad this other one was when I read about a girl from Waterford who died from a sudden, random asthma attack. Like her, I'd never had one before and I wasnt even suffering from the symptoms at the time, but I woke up in the middle of the night totally not able to breathe (apparently you can usually spot when theyre coming through shortness of breath, but obviously not if you're asleep). All I remember was making really weird noises and running to the bathroom in panic and leaning over the toilet in case I was going to get sick or something, that motion must have done something because I started breathing again. I didnt even have my inhalers because I was at a friend's house...I could easily have just not started breathing again. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HAAA! HAAA!

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Provocative Username....it took me 3/4 looks to realise that you were Thanking my post and not laughing at it!!:D:D

Yeah i think the username has to go, it was influenced by nelson muntz in a moment of madness but i don't think it really works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yes and no....

A car drove over me a couple of years ago breaking my spine... I was laying face down at the time of impact. Had I been lying the other way round (face up), the car would have crushed my vital organs, and would have been mince meat (literately) - that would have been a nasty clean-up operation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Two car crashes and a near decapitation by digger. It was then I realised I am indestructible. Or very lucky.

Also they happened on different days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Glad youre all still with us folks, some scary stories!

Mines more a preminition if you want to call it that more than a near death experience. My mother was native of Galway and regularly travlled down to visit her mother. Id always go with her as a child.

When i was 11, it was planned we were going down one weekend. The morning of going for some reason I point blank refused to get in the car with my mam.I told her id a bad feeling,she thought i was being a brat but no amount of arguing would get me into the car and she angrily left me with the neighbours for the day.

She was driving home that night near athlone when a bull bolted out of a field and took the entire passenger side of the front out where id be sitting. if i had got in that car god knows if id be dead or have been severly injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Im dying for more drink NOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Closest Ive had was when I had no clear view of the road, and went to run across it when I was about 11. Car skidded to stop only about 1ft from me. My reaction was to close my eye, cover my ears and crouch down :pac: I dont know why I did that.
    I suppose it wasnt much of a near death experience as it probably wouldnt have killed me. Nothing flashed before my eyes or any of that other stuff people say you see before you die.
    Just really shaky after it due to shock I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Waking up in a burning room was possibly the closest I got to death, 2 or 3 minor car accidents, Got a few bad beatings too and a guy dropped a rock at my head and missed by inches the same **** went on to stab someone to death few years later. Actually the guy he killed saved me another time when I was so drunk I fell back on a concrete stairwell and he caught me by the head just in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

When I was about 10 I was cycling my bike around the estate one night, wind blowing in my hair and pretending I was in a music video...then a car came around the corner really fast and almost hit me.

The guy driving the car asked me out about 8 years later, although I said no..think I was still too traumatized from the whole incident!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ive done plenty of things which if they hadn't worked out I could have potentially died but nothing so serious where I was in hospital.

One of the stupidest things I agreed to do was to fix a windmill attached to an underground pump which brought water to the surface (was in australia). One of these. Link

The connection from the spinning bit to the underground bit had broken so i had to climb up the thing and stop the windmill from spinning by manually rotating it out of the wind and then strapping it down. It was fairly windy day so it was spinning like a mother ****er so had the wind changed while I was at the top I would have been ****ed.

But I got down and all went well. Then had to climb up after it had been fixed and unstrap it. lol.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep, had the whole out of body thang too. Very bloody odd. Didn't see any tunnel of light though that's not surprising for me :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement