Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soon moving to Trim

Options
  • 26-02-2012 4:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi, I'm moving to Trim very soon.
    When I first went to Trim some years ago, I loved the town immediately. I would have never imagined to ended up living there one day.
    How do people enjoy their spare time in the village? Is there anything that you would recommend me? Is there any club or association where I could meet new people? And are there any volunteering opportunities?
    Last, is there any bicycle shop? I can't wait to buy a bicycle and start exploring the area.
    Thank you.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

You could go and investigate the case of the fading echo! :D:D:D

Linky

But on a more serious note.... Trim is a lovely town and it is always in clean nick whenever i pass through it. Well done on your move!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭INCONFIDENCE

Welcome to Trim, lots of people go on a Saturday to watch the bacon slicer in the supermarket.Others go to the council meeting on the 2 nd Tuesday of each month. If you want to meet new people Trim Swingers Club ask no awkward questions.You could also join Fianna Fail although admitting your a member is like saying your wife has the clap. The Tidy Towns always need volunteers to scrape chewing gum off the pavements. .There is no bicycle shop I know of however if you go to the recycling bay you will get all the parts you need to build you own. Oh and a word of warning don;t refer to Trim as a "village" the town council think it should be the capital of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

There is no bicycle shop I know of QUOTE]

There IS a bicycle shop a bit of out town on the Ballivor road.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

sushmita wrote: »
    When I first went to Trim some years ago, I loved the town immediately. I would have never imagined to ended up living there one day.
    How do people enjoy their spare time in the village? Is there anything that you would recommend me? Is there any club or association where I could meet new people? And are there any volunteering opportunities?
    Last, is there any bicycle shop? I can't wait to buy a bicycle and start exploring the area.
    Thank you.

I moved to Trim almost 5 years and havent looked back since. what a lovely place to be. very good quality of life. very scenic walks, not too far from the major roads (M50, N4, M3) ... Navan (kip) only 10 minutes away (only good for shopping ). It still has that feel of being in a village being no major road goest hrough it so no mad traffic but yet elmost everything you'd ever need Trim has it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thank you.

Welcome to Trim!

To answer the activities question, there's loads to do - these are just a few of the activities/clubs/groups that I can think of:

- Trim Athletics Club
    - Trim GAA: football/hurling etc.
    - Trim Tennis Club
    - Trim Badminton Club
    - Trim Celtic/Trim Town soccer clubs
    - Golf: there's a few golf clubs nearby
    - Nightclasses: there's a good variety of nightclasses run in Boyne Community School both before and after Christmas
    - Trim Drama Group
    - Trim Musical Society
    - Trim Bulldogs: American football

I'm sure there's lots of others that escape me right now.

Then there's the events, some of which are annual:

- Trim Celtic Festival
    - Hot Air Balloon Fiesta
    - Trim Swift Festival
    - High Nellie Cycle
    - Braveheart 5km run
    - Haymaking Festival
    - Vintage Car Rally
    - Halloween Festival

Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

falabo wrote: »
    There is no bicycle shop I know of QUOTE]

There IS a bicycle shop a bit of out town on the Ballivor road.

Are they back open? They had moved into Trim and the shop in Trim had closed.

Welcome Sushmita, Paulo has covered it well there. Post here if you have queries, somebody should be able to answer your question.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Don't forget the fishing club and the gun club if you want to kill stuff......

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sushmita

Thank you very much for all your messages, suggestions and information.
    I've been living in Trim for a bit more than a month now and I have no internet at home yet, that's the reason of my delay in coming back to you. Not that I miss internet so much, I really enjoy the calmness, the nature and the greetings of such lovely people Trim can offer.
    However I'm still looking for a bicycle to explore more, I think I'll get one in Navan at this stage.
    I've been to the hot air balloon festival. I'm going to see Vladimir's concert in the Trim castle hotel and I'm delighted to hear about all these events coming.
    Being an ex Dubliner (if I can use this expression not being Irish), I understand now what it means enjoying the life.
    Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭umpire bat

Some great roads for cycling around Trim. The Dublin, Navan and Kilcock roads on Sunday morning will give an indication of how popular the Trim south Meath area is for bikes.
    There is a good range of sports clubs in Trim. Culture is well catered for with Comhaltas, Drama Soc. Misical Soc, etc..

.. the
    pubs attract good decent customers

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

There's a bike shop on the Navan road retail park at KAR motors.

• Advertisement

Hi sushmita, welcome to the area! Hope you're settling in well :D

You could try Adverts.ie for a bike if you don't mind getting a pre-used one. Good few from around here advertise their unwanted stuff on it.

Also, just fyi, there's a weekly publication available in most of the shops. It's called 'Focus on Trim' and there's a lot of useful info in there. The weekly 'Meath Chronicle' is also handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sushmita

Hi all again and thank you for all your very appreciated suggestion, ideas and information.
    I want to announce that finally I got my bicycle today :) I bought it new from a shop as I wanted to get advantage of the cycle to work scheme.
    I can't wait to test it tomorrow, hopefully it will be dry. I'm curious to see Rathcairn, I heard it's an Irish language place.
    If you have other suggestions for cycling tours, please let me know. I'm just concerned about the traffic as I've never cycled on roads where cars go fast. What are the safest roads to cycle? Thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Hi all again and thank you for all your very appreciated suggestion, ideas and information.
    I want to announce that finally I got my bicycle today :) I bought it new from a shop as I wanted to get advantage of the cycle to work scheme.
    I can't wait to test it tomorrow, hopefully it will be dry. I'm curious to see Rathcairn, I heard it's an Irish language place.
    If you have other suggestions for cycling tours, please let me know. I'm just concerned about the traffic as I've never cycled on roads where cars go fast. What are the safest roads to cycle? Thank you.

Safest roads to cycle? Sure they're all the same. There are loads of outlying villages to explore, Kildalkey, Ballivor, Rathmoylan, Longwood, Summerhill, Robinstown etc. Also, TARA! You're right beside it sure, the real capital of Ireland, where the High Kings lived!

Advertisement