Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Socially acceptable word or lax proof reading?

• 26-02-2012 7:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Unable to sleep i decided to read a few online papers and after reading the link below in the indo i'm a bit surprised that the mofo word is used without any asterix inserted. Is this word now socially acceptable in everyday speech or is it just lax proof-reading by Indo staff?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/heavyweights-in-name-only-3031920.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

They're probably just making a pithy attempt to be relevant.

Stupid motherfuckers.

Also, in before this turns into a YORE MA fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

I'm baffled! I read and reread that article and can't see what you're on about.

Just what is the 'mofo' word?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

chasm wrote: »
    Unable to sleep i decided to read a few online papers and after reading the link below in the indo i'm a bit surprised that the mofo word is used without any asterix inserted. Is this word now socially acceptable in everyday speech or is it just lax proof-reading by Indo staff?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/heavyweights-in-name-only-3031920.html

Where is the word actually used...? If it's been edited, then the lax proofreding theory wins.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Where is the word actually used...? If it's been edited, then the lax proofreding theory wins.

The first paragraph,
    "Have you seen the new reality TV show? It's brilliant right. There's this bloke called Dopey Del and he meets these Russian geezers and he slaps one of them in the face and spits at the other. And then he's out in Germany talking to some people and this guy called Dodgy Dave starts having a go at him and Dopey Del has a go back and next thing Dodgy Dave has a swing at him and it all goes off. The Kraut coppers want to have a word with Dodgy Dave but he's done a bunk, ain't he? Gone to Vegas. Brilliant show. What's it called again? Oh yeah, Big Motherf*cker."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The first paragraph,
    "Have you seen the new reality TV show? It's brilliant right. There's this bloke called Dopey Del and he meets these Russian geezers and he slaps one of them in the face and spits at the other. And then he's out in Germany talking to some people and this guy called Dodgy Dave starts having a go at him and Dopey Del has a go back and next thing Dodgy Dave has a swing at him and it all goes off. The Kraut coppers want to have a word with Dodgy Dave but he's done a bunk, ain't he? Gone to Vegas. Brilliant show. What's it called again? Oh yeah, Big Motherf*cker."

Oh yeah... actually searched for "mofo".

Trying to be "cool", methings.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Oh yeah... actually searched for "mofo".

Trying to be "cool", methings.

Lol. It's not a word i use myself, unless i'm singing along to "mista mista" by the fugees :) and i wouldnt be overly bothered hearing it in conversation or film, just seemed weird reading it in a newspaper article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I couldn't read to the end of that article if my life depended on it.

Am disappointed it didn't actually use the term 'mofo' though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

I can't wait to here it on RTE News.

Brian Dobson - "Yo Sharon, Enda Kenny be trippin', Now over to our southern mofo Pascal Sheehy."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

The tone of the first paragraph suggests that the author is attempting "street" language.... hence the word remains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

i'm a bit surprised that the mofo word is used without any asterix inserted

Why would someone insert a comic book character into a word? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

The Economist printed the word "fcuker" (in its original form) last week. They were quoting Whitney Houston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Reading that was painful. Mofo and geezer. Time to fire those people.

FruitLover wrote: »
    Why would someone insert a comic book character into a word? :confused:

Considering i posted that a 6am this morning, after a night without any sleep i'm surprised that was the only mistake in that post :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Gee Bag wrote: »
    I can't wait to here it on RTE News.

Brian Dobson - "Yo Sharon, Enda Kenny be trippin', Now over to our southern mofo Pascal Sheehy."

"and back to everybody's favourite MILF Miriam O Callaghan."

Advertisement