Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remmy SPS

Options
  • 26-02-2012 8:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

Im thinking of putting in for a new licence. Normally I like to buy "good guns" but this time moneys a bit tight :rolleyes: :(

THe remmy sps has caught my eye, not the tactical or the varmint- just the regular old SPS. It looks to be a nice rifle, and then top it with a cheap hawke scope. The whole lot should run me about €1,200.00 You couldnt really ask for anything cheaper then that.

Anybody here have one? Would you recommend it. I usually follow the old advice of "you get what you pay for" so Im a tad bit worried that this could be a huge mistake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Gonzor wrote: »
    Im thinking of putting in for a new licence. Normally I like to buy "good guns" but this time moneys a bit tight :rolleyes: :(

THe remmy sps has caught my eye, not the tactical or the varmint- just the regular old SPS. It looks to be a nice rifle, and then top it with a cheap hawke scope. The whole lot should run me about €1,200.00 You couldnt really ask for anything cheaper then that.

Anybody here have one? Would you recommend it. I usually follow the old advice of "you get what you pay for" so Im a tad bit worried that this could be a huge mistake.

Why don't you spend your €1,200.00 on a good second hand rifle, rather than a bottom of the line SPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

I've an sps in 22-250 and it's shooting great....

After fitting a timney trigger an Aics stock! Before dat I hated it!

patsat wrote: »

There ya go then, only took an extra €1,000 to sort it out for yourself.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

patsat wrote: »

Yes but in fairness I bought it known that I would be spending money on it,

Op why do plan on usin the rifle for and what cal? That would effect your choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

Deer and 308 patsat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

Have a look at a browning A bolt composite stalker. I think they are pretty similar money. They are made for stalking, nice stock which is factory bedded, adjustable trigger which is good. They come with two magazines and are screw cut.

I think there is a good review in this months 'sporting rifle' or 'shooting sports'

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I have two sps both really good and aftermarket parts available when one wants to improve things.
    The only thing, possibly think of adding a few euro extra for the stainless version.
    I would choose the remmy over a browning mainly due to parts available.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

dunno about that, could get the same/similar results with say a boyds stock €110, timney trigger €120(ithink) diy bedding job €100 total of €330, maybe get the action blueprinted down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

ejg wrote: »
    I have two sps both really good and aftermarket parts available when one wants to improve things.
    The only thing, possibly think of adding a few euro extra for the stainless version.
    I would choose the remmy over a browning mainly due to parts available.
    edi
    That's the fun part of remmy, great option to trick things up as you go along

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Give John Lambert a ring in Camolin. I just traded in a remington 700 sps stainless synthetic in 308 with him. It already has a timney trigger and a mod on too.

John always has great deals on second hand guns regardless of what you are looking for.

• Advertisement

dunno about that, could get the same/similar results with say a boyds stock €110, timney trigger €120(ithink) diy bedding job €100 total of €330, maybe get the action blueprinted down the line.

Yeah but my point is you could go for a better spec remington 700 and you wouldn't have to do anything with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

Yeah but my point is you could go for a better spec remington 700 and you wouldn't have to do anything with it.

yeah sorry deeks, shoulda made that reply without quoting you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

Its alright lads, Ive decided Im just going to save all bother and wait an extra couple of months and get myself a vsf and have done with it.... :D

Advertisement