Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three could buy O2 ireland?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

ballooba wrote: »
    Is that in addition to or including the €850 Million they're spending now? €150 Million to gain 5% market share would reconcile with €850 Million to gain 35% market share. I'd be surprised though given the high cost environment when 3 entered the market.

€1bn including the O2 purchase, the €100mn+ they pumped into the initial setup of the network and the money pumped in to cover the losses incurred by Three year-on-year since they began trading here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

kristok 2 wrote: »
    Pros should mean threes network will become better outside of the main urban areas when they eventually combine the two networks. The cons are one less competitor in the market meaning they have less reason to keep their prices so low although O2 where always fairly expensive so might not make any difference. In the long term could force Vodafone to cut prices.
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    They put out press releases about it but as we have almost no technology press nobody noticed.
    Kensington wrote: »
    Pros:
    Excellent 2G network (O2) backed with a modern 3G network (Three).
    Huge amount of spectrum capacity for future 4G use.
    Potential for lots of investment as Hutch is very capable of pumping massive amounts of money into improving the network whereas Telefonica is struggling with debt piles.

Cons:
    Potential for mass job losses on the O2 side - everything is run from India with only skeleton staff in local markets. Three outsource practically everything bar sales and marketing.
    Potential for massive drop in customer support standards - Three customer service is truly abysmal. Horrendously bad.
    Less competition - Three simply will not maintain their current price plans across the board, moreso they'll tend towards the current O2 offerings when setting the new combined standard.
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    The biggest pro for Three customers will be having a 2G network with EDGE as a fallback.

That could be made available very quickly as i don't think theyll be too interested in continuing to pay Vodafone

Combined, they've a lot of radio spectrum too so it could mean much better 3G and it makes Three's LTE platform far more viable.
    RangeR wrote: »
    Mid to long term O2 staff will be falling over themselves for redundancy. There are a lot of long timers in there. It's only a con for the new recruits [< a few years]. Most others [5+ years] will get a windfall, even if it's just statutory minimum.

Thank You!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

laoisfan wrote: »
    If it's in your contract to have all you can eat data ( ~15Gb per month ) and you do not upgrade or move to different plan or change to sim-only then you will continue to have all you can eat data. They can't just remove it. No operator can move their customer off their contract. The contract plan will be deemed a legacy plan and until such time as the customer leaves or upgrades/changes plan or move to sim-only it will remain in place. All operators in Ireland operate this policy.

Roaming is going to be abolished in the EU from July 2014 which will be welcomed.

3 have already abolished thethering on contracts signed on or after 1st January 2012. Of unofficially people still tether :)

While 3 will undoubtedly look to make profit etc and change some things it may just force Vodafone's hand and possibly Meteor's. If you look at their data offerings....pure crap, especially Vodafones.

I am currently with 3 but I suspect when my one remaining year is up then I will switch either to a sim-only plan or else port back to Meteor. Not a hope in hell of going over to that shower of vultures Vodafone.
    Have a read through your contract - you'll probably find a clause that says either party can end the contract with 30-days notice to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

laoisfan wrote:
    If it's in your contract to have all you can eat data ( ~15Gb per month ) and you do not upgrade...
    Have a read through your contract - you'll probably find a clause that says either party can end the contract with 30-days notice to the other.

And it's not ~15GB limit. It's more like ~∞GB. There is no limit. If you read your contract, they say that they MAY enforce network throttling and slow you down, but they don't stop you. In reality, they can't slow you down [other than congest the network with other users...]. There are boardsies who are using 60GB even 120+GB in a month. Ah yeah, they are taking the piss but it shows that it's possible.

But I digest... Back OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Yes I have. And yes you are correct. How likely are 3 to do this though ?

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    And it's not ~15GB limit. It's more like ~∞GB. There is no limit. If you read your contract, they say that they MAY enforce network throttling and slow you down, but they don't stop you. In reality, they can't slow you down [other than congest the network with other users...]. There are boardsies who are using 60GB even 120+GB in a month. Ah yeah, they are taking the piss but it shows that it's possible.

But I digest... Back OT.

According to the T&Cs it is 15Gb per bill cycle.

http://shop.three.ie/terms/all-you-can-eat-data-terms-conditions/
    4. Three continuously monitors network performance to ensure that the service received by customers is not impacted through a minority of users placing high demand on network resources (e.g. large bandwidths over long periods). Should your data usage exceed 15GB in a billing cycle and your usage affect other network users, we reserve the right to limit your Service.

But yes you are correct in that they are not enforcing policy..........yet. A lot of networks are currently examining this particular issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If your look at the data allowance in your phone it's 2TB, the 15GB is just a clause incase of people taking the proverbial but it is not a limit. To say there's a 15GB cap is incorrect.

If your look at the data allowance in your phone it's 2TB, the 15GB is just a clause incase of people taking the proverbial but it is not a limit. To say there's a 15GB cap is incorrect.

What the phone might allow is irrelevant. Operator decides and/or enforces.

Lads....we can argue all day on this.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Wonder what will happen to the student broadband scheme (15Gb allowance) that O2 offer for €9.99 pm. Will Three continue it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Wonder what will happen to the student broadband scheme (15Gb allowance) that O2 offer for €9.99 pm. Will Three continue it?

O2 got that contract from the HEA so it depends on if the new company tendor for that contract once it's up or some other company gets it but someone will offer the HEA student broadband deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Hopefully this will mean better coverage on my work phone! I'm a Three customer for about 7-8 years, never had an issue with them, was with O2 before. O2 coverage is crap where I live but Three have a mast not far from the house meaning my coverage is near full bars. The work phone on O2 however just has about 2 bars if you find a good spot, otherwise nothing. So hoping the coverage will improve there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

chris_ie wrote: »
    Hopefully this will mean better coverage on my work phone! I'm a Three customer for about 7-8 years, never had an issue with them, was with O2 before. O2 coverage is crap where I live but Three have a mast not far from the house meaning my coverage is near full bars. The work phone on O2 however just has about 2 bars if you find a good spot, otherwise nothing. So hoping the coverage will improve there.

If you call o2 as a business customer and tell them there's a dead spot they may well do something about it. The aul fella has done so twice to positive results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The interesting bit will be of ComReg requires them to hand back one of their licences (assuming the 3 licence) which could result in a new forth player entering the market like UPC for example

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I wonder whats going to happen to 48Months? Its Telefonica family, not O2 branded, so I assume it'll stay as is, or maybe not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Oracle wrote: »
    I wonder whats going to happen to 48Months? Its Telefonica family, not O2 branded, so I assume it'll stay as is, or maybe not?

It may or may not be part of the deal (perhaps it might go out on it's own after this). We wont know for a while but if it is part of the deal I dont see why Three would scrap it. At least not in the medium to short term.

Advertisement