Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three could buy O2 ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Dean_Mc wrote: »
    Just an interesting aside. I got a call regarding package changes from UPC and at the end of the call asked me who my mobile phone was with.... maybe they are sizing up for a takeover.

MVNO, not an acquisition.

The UPC CEO said they will "act conservatively with mobile". i.e. they wont spend billions on buying one of the big 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

15% haircut for the senior bondholders if they accept it, I'm not a bondholder but if it was a case of getting 85% of my money back or possibly getting some of it back at some time in the future I know what i'd be doing. Unless there's another bidder I'd say Eircom bondholders will accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Anyone see today's Sunday Independent?

Anyone see today's Independent, all bids to be in by the end of the month for o2. Should make for an interesting few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Anyone see today's Independent, all bids to be in by the end of the month for o2. Should make for an interesting few weeks.

So......

Better off not renewing that contract just yet so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Liberty and Three interested in O2? Very interesting. Wonder what other players are circling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Got a link for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Ah, the focus is on the prepay offers.

I'd say with O2's new offers for prepay will help boost the performance in the area with their Unlimited Calls plan on TopUp.

I really hope Three don't buy them, their an awful company to work for.

This is exceptionally bad news for competition. The Chinese Hutch must be stopped acquiring Telefonica Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Fungus wrote: »
    This is exceptionally bad news for competition. The Chinese Hutch must be stopped acquiring Telefonica Ireland.

Why? O2s offers are seriously lacking these days. Especially with the tiny amounts of data their giving to their customers. They have admitted this themselves and pointed out that the only reason they brought out the unlimited price plans on bill pay and pre pay cause their following the pack.

Why? O2s offers are seriously lacking these days. Especially with the tiny amounts of data their giving to their customers. They have admitted this themselves and pointed out that the only reason they brought out the unlimited price plans on bill pay and pre pay cause their following the pack.

Three only offer good prices because they are a challenger brand. If 3 get their hands on 37% of the market they will stop offering good value packages.

Total disaster for competition in the Irish mobile market if we are going to move from a 4 horse race to a 3 horse race.

Three only offer good prices because they are a challenger brand. If 3 get their hands on 37% of the market they will stop offering good value packages.

Total disaster for competition in the Irish mobile market if we are going to move from a 4 horse race to a 3 horse race.

They have their unlimited data in all the other countries too. Its part of their offerings.

While i see the concern I think it could be a massive strength as their network coverage and capabilities would leave the rest scrambling.

They have their unlimited data in all the other countries too. Its part of their offerings.

While i see the concern I think it could be a massive strength as their network coverage and capabilities would leave the rest scrambling.

I work for O2, nothing special, just a sales rep. I also used to work for Three quite some time ago.

Trust me on this. Nothing good would come from Three buying O2. Their service is awful and the Unlimited Data is a joke. Very few people actually need Unlimited Data, and even the staff in Three know this.
    Another point is that because of their plan system and lack of quality control they haven't turned a profit in Ireland in years.

O2 isn't perfect, I'm the first to admit it and we are generally a bit more expensive than others, but we also tend to have a higher level of service, better reception and so on compared to Three.

O2 also just released new billpay plans today offering Unlimited Calls/Texts, more data and even Roaming calls and texts included.

If Three takes over O2, I'm willing to bet we'll see a lot of job losses, massive drop in customer service and more and more people leaving to join other networks.

So you think that 200/500 MB a month is acceptable in this day and age?

App sizes are constantly increasing. People are starting to use more data as the average joe is getting used to using their phone on the go instead of a laptop.

While only probably 1% of the market needs unlimited data, the rates O2 offers are just no good for anyone. O2 is limiting users and hoping that they cash in on the data charges once customer go over their limit. Now in fairness most of the time O2 will go half way with a huge bill or even a quarter, which no other network does, it still shouldn't happen in the first place.

And most users dont want to go over 40 euro to get higher allowances. While im no fan of three customer service, im sticking with them cause I can use my phone all I want without having to worry about data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Sonics2k wrote: »
    O2 isn't perfect, I'm the first to admit it and we are generally a bit more expensive than others, but we also tend to have a higher level of service, better reception and so on compared to Three.

Ah, that explains why they couldn't have been bothered approving updates for my Nokia C7 and 701. I shouldn't have to void a warranty to update firmware.

So you think that 200/500 MB a month is acceptable in this day and age?

App sizes are constantly increasing. People are starting to use more data as the average joe is getting used to using their phone on the go instead of a laptop.

While only probably 1% of the market needs unlimited data, the rates O2 offers are just no good for anyone. O2 is limiting users and hoping that they cash in on the data charges once customer go over their limit. Now in fairness most of the time O2 will go half way with a huge bill or even a quarter, which no other network does, it still shouldn't happen in the first place.

And most users dont want to go over 40 euro to get higher allowances. While im no fan of three customer service, im sticking with them cause I can use my phone all I want without having to worry about data.

(Please note, this is all a personal opinion of a sales rep, I'm not a high ranker in the company at all)

I personally think it should be increased to 1GB and as far as I know it's discussed internally, but a major review of the userbase showed that in fact, most O2 customers don't use more than 700mb in a month assuming they have wi-fi available at home (which most people do).

The fact is though, Data is expensive to run and maintain and apparently they aren't willing to risk more money loss to appease some customers who generally think they need more data than they do. Remember, O2 used to offer Unlimited Data and they wouldn't drop that without good reason.

Day after day I'm approached by customers who say we need to give more data because they are losing out and others have Unlimited Data, and when I sit down with them and check the last 4-6 months of actual data usage I'd say maybe 1 in 10 has actually gone over 700mb and (though I shouldn't) do advise them to consider a network that will offer it, but point out the pros and con's.

Ah, that explains why they couldn't have been bothered approving updates for my Nokia C7 and 701. I shouldn't have to void a warranty to update firmware.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm only guessing that's down to the 701 being end of life for about a year.

As a side note, rooting a phone doesn't void the warranty. I believe the repair group must prove that rooting was the actual cause of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I am with 3 and have been for quite a few years. I left O2 to go to 3 and to be honest, with having 3 on boards, it solves any issues that I have customer service wise. I love that I don't need to keep an eye on my data use, I can use it to my hearts content and not worry with getting a huge bill at the end!

Looking at my usage per month, I tend to use between 2gb - 3gb on average. O2 have stuck themselves in the mud for too long and no doubt are losing customers by the bucket load...

I would think if Hutchinson did acquire O2, it would be beneficial, sharing network, 3G etc etc.

I personally think it should be increased to 1GB and as far as I know it's discussed internally, but a major review of the userbase showed that in fact, most O2 customers don't use more than 700mb in a month assuming they have wi-fi available at home (which most people do).

The fact is though, Data is expensive to run and maintain and apparently they aren't willing to risk more money loss to appease some customers who generally think they need more data than they do. Remember, O2 used to offer Unlimited Data and they wouldn't drop that without good reason.

Day after day I'm approached by customers who say we need to give more data because they are losing out and others have Unlimited Data, and when I sit down with them and check the last 4-6 months of actual data usage I'd say maybe 1 in 10 has actually gone over 700mb and (though I shouldn't) do advise them to consider a network that will offer it, but point out the pros and con's.

No stab at you, but it's a narrow minded view. Every network wants to grow by attracting more people. O2 is not attracting anyone with their offers.

While the new open plans are a little better in terms of calls and texts, they still suffer from little data. Their just following the rest of the networks instead of leading. They need to think what do people on other networks want and how can they get them on their network.

• Advertisement

It is part of Three offering in all countries where they operate a challenger brand. If they get their hands on 37% market share they become an incumbent brand like Vodafone and O2 and will gradually get rid of value propositions like unlimited data.

Let's hope UPC buy Telefonica Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭McGrath5

You'd swear by the way some people go on here that 3 offer unlimited this and unlimited that out of the goodness of their own hearts.

They simply do not have the market share compared to O2 or Vodafone, so they have to put out these loss leaders in a bid to win new business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

If they get their hands on 37% market share they become an incumbent brand like Vodafone and O2 and will gradually get rid of value propositions like unlimited data.

How do you know this? Just wondering as you seem to be stating it as matter of fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Don't quote me on this, but I'm only guessing that's down to the 701 being end of life for about a year.

As a side note, rooting a phone doesn't void the warranty. I believe the repair group must prove that rooting was the actual cause of a problem.

Its still getting updates.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_701_and_808_pureview_get_symbian_update-news-5680.php

Walkman wrote: »
    How do you know this? Just wondering as you seem to be stating it as matter of fact?

Look at any market where there are a limited number of players. If you are a small niche player that is growing rapidly, like Three, you need to offer the best deals to 'buy' market share. The incumbent, like Vodafone, is less incentivised as they are keen not to erode income from existing customers. This incumbent versus challenger game plays out in many markets in the exact same way.

What defines a challenger versus an incumbent in the Irish mobile market? It is a 4 horse race with only moderate product differentiation. Hence, aprox. 25% share in the end game in the competitive prisoners dilemma which is akin to what is playing out.

If Three get incumbent status, and 37% share is definitely incumbent status, they will no longer need to buy market share with value propositions, they will screw customer like Vodafone and O2 currently do.

The consumer will lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I work for O2, nothing special, just a sales rep. I also used to work for Three quite some time ago.

Trust me on this. Nothing good would come from Three buying O2. Their service is awful and the Unlimited Data is a joke. Very few people actually need Unlimited Data, and even the staff in Three know this.
    Another point is that because of their plan system and lack of quality control they haven't turned a profit in Ireland in years.

O2 also just released new billpay plans today offering Unlimited Calls/Texts, more data and even Roaming calls and texts included.

If Three takes over O2, I'm willing to bet we'll see a lot of job losses, massive drop in customer service and more and more people leaving to join other networks.

Which network has invested in its network most over the last 4or 5years? Clue... Not o2

Which network has invested in its network most over the last 4or 5years? Clue... Not o2

You mean aside from preparing for 4G, increasing the amount of people working in the customer care dept in limerick and already having 99% coverage of the country.

Like I said, o2 isn't perfect and I suffer no loyalty to them but I fail to see your issue.

There wasn't really much to invest in, and surely that money is better served keeping the network going considering how much they lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Look at any market where there are a limited number of players. If you are a small niche player that is growing rapidly, like Three, you need to offer the best deals to 'buy' market share. The incumbent, like Vodafone, is less incentivised as they are keen not to erode income from existing customers. This incumbent versus challenger game plays out in many markets in the exact same way.

What defines a challenger versus an incumbent in the Irish mobile market? It is a 4 horse race with only moderate product differentiation. Hence, aprox. 25% share in the end game in the competitive prisoners dilemma which is akin to what is playing out.

If Three get incumbent status, and 37% share is definitely incumbent status, they will no longer need to buy market share with value propositions, they will screw customer like Vodafone and O2 currently do.

The consumer will lose.

So your presuming and guessing what's going to happen. My question still stands, where is your proof this is going to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

Tesco mobile piggyback on O2s network, but offer far superior packages than theur host. It would be great to see Tesco buy out Telefonica

• Advertisement

corkonion wrote: »
    Tesco mobile piggyback on O2s network, but offer far superior packages than theur host. It would be great to see Tesco buy out Telefonica

There are 3 bidders. Eircom, UPC and Three. Tesco are not bidding.

Advertisement