Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three could buy O2 ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Walkman wrote: »
    So your presuming and guessing what's going to happen. My question still stands, where is your proof this is going to happen?

Look at how competition has played out in any other market when one gets a dominant share, history repeats itself over and over again in these situations. It is called competitive positioning and the Irish mobile market is far from immune to this.

Three are not giving unlimited data for the good of their hearts, as soon as the competitive landscape changes, Three will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Are there grounds to cancel my contract with O2 should Three buy them out?

I was with Three before and their "customer service" was appalling. Non stop problems and absolutely no concern whatsoever from Three.

If I could get out of the contract I'd get over to Vodaphone or Eircom really really slowly, like in a month or two, and if I did it that slowly it would still be quicker than all the Three reps were when it came to calling me back when I had problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Fungus wrote: »
    Look at how competition has played out in any other market when one gets a dominant share, history repeats itself over and over again in these situations. It is called competitive positioning and the Irish mobile market is far from immune to this.

Three are not giving unlimited data for the good of their hearts, as soon as the competitive landscape changes, Three will too.

Still not providing proof though. You're just speculating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

What kind of proof are you after for an event that has not yet happened?

One can use the weight of history regarding competitive strategies between businesses to easily deduct that those with dominant market share never offer the most competitive proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

There is no direct proof, only a set pattern we can see across numerous regions across the world which is how people, investors and business types will view it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

corkonion wrote: »
    Tesco mobile piggyback on O2s network, but offer far superior packages than theur host. It would be great to see Tesco buy out Telefonica

And Lycamobile also piggyback on O2. So whoever acquires O2 will have a readymade stream of income from 2 sources before additional customers come into play at all.

Fungus wrote: »
    What kind of proof are you after for an event that has not yet happened?

One can use the weight of history regarding competitive strategies between businesses to easily deduct that those with dominant market share never offer the most competitive proposition.

A prime example being $ky.

Profiler wrote: »
    Are there grounds to cancel my contract with O2 should Three buy them out?

I was with Three before and their "customer service" was appalling. Non stop problems and absolutely no concern whatsoever from Three.

If I could get out of the contract I'd get over to Vodaphone or Eircom really really slowly, like in a month or two, and if I did it that slowly it would still be quicker than all the Three reps were when it came to calling me back when I had problems.

Almost certainly not. Even though O2 may be owned by Three, they could, and probably will, operate as a seperate entity initially until Three can dovetail their tarriffs with O2's. By that time you may very well be out of contract anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Sonics2k wrote: »
    You mean aside from preparing for 4G,

Really, how many 4g sites have they on air ?

increasing the amount of people working in the customer care dept in limerick and already having 99% coverage of the country.

99% 2g population is not quite good enough these days.
    Like I said, o2 isn't perfect and I suffer no loyalty to them but I fail to see your issue. .

Been with them since they launched, and left recently, thats after 18 years nearly! My issue is, not competitive, and not keeping up to speed with coverage and network technology. The o2 money card and o2 treats are not what interests me, its coverage, technology and price, which o2 were not able to keep up with.
    There wasn't really much to invest in, and surely that money is better served keeping the network going considering how much they lost.

Thats where you are wrong, there is plenty to invest in.

Standing still is not good enough, especially when the others are plouginh ahead. Coverage improvements are always needed, you will never reach 99% geographic, but that doesnt mean you stop adding coverage. And you need to contantly invest and upgrade your network, so where is o2 with 4g ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Liberty and Three interested in O2? Very interesting. Wonder what other players are circling

Starting to hear rumours that the deal is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

RangeR wrote: »

Eircom or 3?

Eircom or 3?

That makes 5!!

That makes 5!!

You couldn't be further from the truth. It makes O5 or maybe 3O2... 2O3?

Does that mean no more 086 numbers issued, I can't remember what happened when Vodafone took over Eircom (eircell). Is that why 088 died, Vodafone killed it?

Does that mean no more 086 numbers issued, I can't remember what happened when Vodafone took over Eircom (eircell). Is that why 088 died, Vodafone killed it?

Not sure why 088 died.That was eircell analog, if I'm not mistaken. Anywho, didn't Digiweb take over the 088 prefix a few years ago. Yes, they did. For 4G, in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Any more on this? be interesting to see how it pans out

Not sure why 088 died.That was eircell analog, if I'm not mistaken. Anywho, didn't Digiweb take over the 088 prefix a few years ago. Yes, they did. For 4G, in 2007.

088 was assigned to the old analog amps system, not gsm, so voda/eircell had both 087 and 088, one for gsm, the other for analog. The analog system was turned off to free up spectrum, and as part of that vodafone/eircell migrated users from the analog system to the gsm. At the time, number portability was not available either, so the move involved a change of prefix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

It's possible liberty global (UPC) have joined the race too.
    http://www.mobileworldlive.com/liberty-global-and-eircom-join-race-for-o2-ireland

I would still favour a new entrant rather than an existing network buying Three.

AT&T denials too:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/telefonica-denies-att-interest-in-buying-up-o2-29352129.html

I doubt it's going to be a new entrant, it's between Eircom and 3 at this stage, Vodafone & Eircom having nearly complete control of the Irish market can't be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I doubt it's going to be a new entrant, it's between Eircom and 3 at this stage, Vodafone & Eircom having nearly complete control of the Irish market can't be a good thing.

I'm sure there's regulatory measures in place for monopolising stuff like that. if eircom did buy o2 that'd give them their own eircom brand, emobile, meteor, o2, tesco mobile, lyca and 48 (if those aspects are up for grabs too under the o2 brand) there's not a hope that'd happen.

Tesco Mobile and Lyca (except 48) would not be up for grabs as they would have existing contracts with O2 for access to the network which would have to be maintained and they are independent companies. 48 months is a spin out company from O2 as I understand it.

I dont think there would be much issues with eircom or three buying O2. There would still be enough players in the market after either took over O2 although as I said I'd prefer a new player.

As things go Ireland actually has quite a few companies for its population size in comparison to other european countries:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators_of_Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

with the end to roaming charges in Europe surely it makes it easier for operators from outside Ireland to enter the market without the expense of purchasing o2

with the end to roaming charges in Europe surely it makes it easier for operators from outside Ireland to enter the market without the expense of purchasing o2

How so? They'd still need to buy a licence, build infrastructure, market their wares and gain customers.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    How so? They'd still need to buy a licence, build infrastructure, market their wares and gain customers.

why? There will be nothing to stop me buying a UK sim and using it here so long as that company has a roaming agreement here

why? There will be nothing to stop me buying a UK sim and using it here so long as that company has a roaming agreement here

When you roam you roam on another network in the local country. So the local country gets some of the profit. I dont see how your idea could turn much of a profit for a company.

Yeah but as a company you wouldn't make much profit out if it. What your talking about is becoming an mvno, which 48,tesco etc are, and roaming has little impact to this.

Yeah but as a company you wouldn't make much profit out if it. What your talking about is becoming an mvno, which 48,tesco etc are, and roaming has little impact to this.

I dont think he's even talking about an MVNO which would make money.

no I'm just talking about a bog standard UK (or anywhere else in Europe) sim card that has better offers than any Irish company. If there are no roaming charges i don't need to use a Irish licenced mobile company

• Advertisement

no I'm just talking about a bog standard UK (or anywhere else in Europe) sim card that has better offers than any Irish company. If there are no roaming charges i don't need to use a Irish licenced mobile company

I dont think that's possible/profitable. Although it would be cool. A real single market

Advertisement