Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three could buy O2 ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

no I'm just talking about a bog standard UK (or anywhere else in Europe) sim card that has better offers than any Irish company. If there are no roaming charges i don't need to use a Irish licenced mobile company

Not really possible, for a start you would have a uk mobile number in ireland. Also, I don't think the abolition of roaming charges means you pay the same amount of money abroad irrespective of use etc. Remember, when you roam, your home network must pay the roaming network usage fees, and those costs would be recovered in some way.

Roaming g charges were high, but I don't thi k people expecting free roaming etc are being realistic

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

no I'm just talking about a bog standard UK (or anywhere else in Europe) sim card that has better offers than any Irish company. If there are no roaming charges i don't need to use a Irish licenced mobile company

If you're ringing and texting Irish numbers from a UK sim, I imagine it would be pretty expensive unless they count as part of your bundled minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If you're ringing and texting Irish numbers from a UK sim, I imagine it would be pretty expensive unless they count as part of your bundled minutes.

its not going to happen for a year but if there are no roaming charges then a text is just a text and should be out of your bundle. The problem is likely to be poorer coverage than using an Irish licensed company.

If you had a duel sum phone you could use your Irish number to receive call and your cheaper UK phone to send calls until people got familiar with the new options.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

its not going to happen for a year but if there are no roaming charges then a text is just a text and should be out of your bundle. The problem is likely to be poorer coverage than using an Irish licensed company.

If you had a duel sum phone you could use your Irish number to receive call and your cheaper UK phone to send calls until people got familiar with the new options.
    Why would it come out of your bundle? They can't charge extra for roaming but I see nothing to suggest that they can't charge extra for calling or texting a foreign number which is what you'd be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Why poorer coverage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

As I was saying here I highly doubt the ban on roaming charges will be in by next year. And it could be as far away as 2017. And either way I'm afraid your idea as it stands is a non starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

RangeR wrote: »
    Starting to hear rumours that the deal is done.

A lot of mis-information going around - The nature of rumours. Seems that Liberty Global [although virgin was mentioned, are they the same company now?] are still in the running. VERY few people have the actual information.

Nothing on the interwebs really about it. Someone might have news over the weekend papers. Friday at 4.50pm is also a good time for leaks so things can settle over the weekend :D

RangeR wrote: »
    A lot of mis-information going around - The nature of rumours. Seems that Liberty Global [although virgin was mentioned, are they the same company now?] are still in the running. VERY few people have the actual information.

From what I remember liberty global just licence the virgin name in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

From what I remember liberty global just licence the virgin name in the UK.
    They were bought by Liberty Global earlier this year:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTL:Telewest#Acquisition_by_Liberty_Global

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Friday evening rumour mill is swinging into action, looks like there at advanced stage... mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-21/hutchison-said-close-to-buying-telefonica-s-o2-ireland.html

www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0621/458033-o2-hutchinson-whampoa/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Friday evening rumour mill is swinging into action, looks like there at advanced stage... mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-21/hutchison-said-close-to-buying-telefonica-s-o2-ireland.html

www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0621/458033-o2-hutchinson-whampoa/

Linky says €700m. Think I heard up to €750m

I wonder though will the competition authority be for or against this move?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Wonder will 3 keep the O2 brand separate for a while then merge it together or will it be an instant takeover, and what will it mean for the customer care centre in Limerick, if it'll be outsourced to India like 3's own call centre or kept here.

For a very short while maybe but they wont long term as there is an O2 company in Europe. They're only buying the Irish outlet. It's hard to know what they will do about customer care as they could take it either way but I imagine the first changes if any will be in the outlets selling the phones as they'll have too many of these for a single company.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Very interesting development. Will be interesting to see what happens on many levels, also would fully expect job losses on the 02 side at some point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

krudler wrote: »
    Wonder will 3 keep the O2 brand separate for a while then merge it together or will it be an instant takeover, and what will it mean for the customer care centre in Limerick, if it'll be outsourced to India like 3's own call centre or kept here.

3 were on morning Ireland there.
    This needs EU approval so no change for 8 months.
    Assuming approval,the O2 brand will disappear entirely as all their customers become three within the next 2 years.

It will end the roaming tie up with vodafone obviously and with 02 sites on board and vice versa enhance 3g coverage for both.

Another question is what will happen to sponsorship. Three sponsor the Irish football team and O2 sponsor the Irish rugby team. Will they do both from now on?

or will the The O2 become The 3, it doesnt quite have the same ring to it

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    or will the The O2 become The 3, it doesnt quite have the same ring to it

lol no it doesn't :D

8 months? long time to wait and find out if you're being made redundant, cant see 3 keeping an expensive call centre here when they already have one in India though, or at least downsizing it considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

cookie1977 wrote: »

Oh f##k, back to the appalling customer service that I ran from Three from.

"Please hold on Sir, I am escalating your query"

*loafing on hold*

"Hello Sir, this is John. Have you turned on and off your handset?"

*repeat ad nauseum*

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It does seem like a long amount of time, what effect will it have on 4G roll out, it can only delay it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Another question is what will happen to sponsorship. Three sponsor the Irish football team and O2 sponsor the Irish rugby team. Will they do both from now on?

Outsource both to India.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It could mean higher prices across the board. Three were very competitive!

I hope it doesn't mean that they lay off all the O2 call centre staff in Limerick though. That could be a major blow.

It's a shame really. I think Telefonica basically ran O2 into the ground they weren't even trying to be competitive over the last few years.

They seemed to stop responding to price competition. Yet they're blaming the economy for their situation.

It does seem like a long amount of time, what effect will it have on 4G roll out, it can only delay it..

Delay? Delay whats already been delayed over and over again?

O2 had previously said that they'd launch 4G in early 2013: http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/o2-ireland-4g-network-675504-Nov2012/

Vodafone had planned on launching in the summer 2013 and no sign or hint of that either: http://irishtechnews.net/ITN3/vodafone-ireland-demos-4g/

But yes I imagine it may delay even further the launch but fingers crossed it wont!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Very interesting development. Will be interesting to see what happens on many levels, also would fully expect job losses on the 02 side at some point

Expect the Three price options to become more aligned with O2 and O2 customer service to become more aligned with Three...

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It could mean higher prices across the board. Three were very competitive!

I hope it doesn't mean that they lay off all the O2 call centre staff in Limerick though. That could be a major blow.

It's a shame really. I think Telefonica basically ran O2 into the ground they weren't even trying to be competitive over the last few years.

They seemed to stop responding to price competition. Yet they're blaming the economy for their situation.

I imagine (I could be wrong) it will mean a convergence of prices between the 2 companies. O2 have been profiting on the back of ever reducing customer numbers while three have been reasonably competitive/aggressive so I'd say they'll meet in the middle once the dust has settled.

Despite the fact that over the past few years O2 have lost customers and market share every quarter yet last quarter according to comreg they grew their revenue by market share against the odds by almost 2%. If this isn't price gouging it's remaining customer pool I dont know what is: http://irishtechnews.net/ITN3/comreg-quarterly-report-q1-2013/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Telefonica misded the boat on a load of issues though. For example thry have major European and even global reach but they never offered an equivalent to Vodafone Passport

Advertisement