Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Whitegoods (Melbourne)

Options
  • 26-02-2012 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Other than gumtree can anyone recommend a good store to buy a 300L fridge and a front loader washing machine (preferably both 2nd hand - budget of $800)?

Good energy rating essential because our existing 1/2 star fridge is contributing to outrageous energy bills every 3 months....

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Where are you based in Melbourne?
    BSL (Brotherhood of St. Laurence) on Barkly St in Brunswick (just off lygon st) generally carries a good selection of used white goods at decent prices.
    EBay is good option as well, if you have the means to collect from seller.

In my experience you are always better off spending little bit more for new white goods if you can, secondhand is minefield, could last a day, or for years. This is especially true if you take energy efficiency into account, older fridges will eat electricity, especially when the door seals perish and don't seal up properly.
    Also, with new you get 1-5 year warranty and if you want to sell it on in a few years you'll recoup a good whack of your initial outlay.

Btw pay no attention to sticker price on new stuff here, theres always room for good discount. I bought everything in one shop (Retravision), told sales guy I'll buy everything from him if he beats online stores on price, straightaway be took $120 off washer, $160 off fridge, gave me an end off line TV for $500 less than it was in dick smith next door, discounted vacuum and few other small things and threw in free cables and delivery/installation. He beat the best price I could find for anything online. They also often have discontinued models or shop soiled/dented stuff that can be brilliant value.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

On the same lines as Retra is Good Guys
    Front loader eg
    http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/northland/Laundry
    fridge eg
    http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/northland/Fridges_&_Freezers
    I reckon they could definitely do a deal $800 for both. They always knock money off when you are willing to buy.
    There are 2nd hand white goods stores on Chapel St, Windsor and Sydney Road, Brunswick.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

You really need to shop around. I found Retravision the most expensive for quotes for my kitchen appliances.

Shop around because the second hand market is very poor at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

I would not buy either used, so much can go wrong with them and you have no warranty.
    You should get both new for that price. Delivery might be a bit extra.
    Try Retravision or Good Guys.

Keep away from that used white goods place in Prahran. Rotten old stuff that is more expensive than new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If you want new http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/ is excellent and prob the cheapest online store around, I bought a new 6KG Samsung front loader for 380 ish on sale, delivered within 48hrs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

hussey wrote: »
    If you want new http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/ is excellent and prob the cheapest online store around, I bought a new 6KG Samsung front loader for 380 ish on sale, delivered within 48hrs

I second that, bought a washing machine there, very easy and no trawling shops for the best deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 olearyj1

cheers guys for all the info and links, must do abit of research and shopping around at the weekend......thanks for your help

Advertisement