Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh Yeast in Cork

Options
  • 26-02-2012 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking at making a sourdough starter and having difficulty locating fresh yeast in Cork. Any ideas on where to pick it up? I've tried a few health food shops but no joy and supermarkets don't seem to stock it either.

H.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Not based in Cork but I've picked up fresh yeast in Polish shops in Dublin, it's normally in little bricks in the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I recall Ballymaloe shop having it about a year ago. Might be worth giving them a ring or a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

The health food shop in the English market at the grand parade end had it when I was in there a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tractortom74

Any one of the Polish shops sell fresh yeast. I think I paid €0.35 cent for a block a few weeks back! Much cheaper than any of the Irish shops which even if you can get it costs a hell of a lot more!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The health food shop in the English market at the grand parade end had it when I was in there a few weeks ago.

Yeah, I think that 'organic' shop sells it sometimes.
    Problem is that this shop is a complete rip off.

Example: Fresh turmeric root in Best Food stall - €35 per Kg
    Fresh turmeric root in Quay Co-Op - €9.50 per Kg

I do wonder what they charge for fresh yeast compared to the Polish shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Thud

you don't need fresh yeast for a sourdough starter, you need to grow (or possibly buy) a starter culture from scratch:
    (http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/how-to-make-sourdough-starter-day-0.html)

or reactivate a dried one:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/DTE-Goldrush-Sourdough-Starter/dp/B000VY8MK0

I haven't seen anywhere selling them in ireland but a sourdough bakery may sell you some of their live starter.

Fresh yeast won't give you "sour" dough, just a generic standard dough.

If you ask at bakery section of most Superquinns they will sell you a lump of fresh yeast for less than a euro

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Does sourdough not need a piece of sourdough to start it off? not yeast?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

The bakery counter of most Superquinns will usually give you some if you ask. I think you have to make a starter for the first loaf but after that you can just use a piece of the dough from the last batch, if that makes sense. I remember reading about it but I'm not keen on sourdough so never made it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 msgmum

Im not in Cork, but here in Cavan all Polish shops sell it. You will find it in the fridge section wrapped in paper. I use it in my bread machine. I also freeze it to save trips out of town to buy it. Just chop it into the right size pieces and put them in an air tight container and it keeps in the freezer for a couple of months and takes just a half hour to defrost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Yeah, I think that 'organic' shop sells it sometimes.
    Problem is that this shop is a complete rip off.

Example: Fresh turmeric root in Best Food stall - €35 per Kg
    Fresh turmeric root in Quay Co-Op - €9.50 per Kg

I do wonder what they charge for fresh yeast compared to the Polish shops.

True, complete rip off of a place but so far the only shop I have found proper large coconut chips/shavings, everywhere else I've tried only sells the small desiccated stuff. Like I said, I saw the yeast, never claimed it to be a bargain!

• Advertisement
Advertisement