Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Goods from the USA

Options
  • 26-02-2012 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience of doing this. I want to import a container load of materials from the US.
    So as it stands I know the goods I wish to purchase but I dont know the Tax setups etc
    Do I need to register with revenue to import?
    How would I even get a shipping company to take the container?
    What are the costs?
    What about US taxes??

sorry for all the questions, any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Grecco wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience of doing this. I want to import a container load of materials from the US.
    So as it stands I know the goods I wish to purchase but I dont know the Tax setups etc
    Do I need to register with revenue to import?
    How would I even get a shipping company to take the container?
    What are the costs?
    What about US taxes??

sorry for all the questions, any help would be appreciated :)

Hello Grecco,

first of all, please see attached Guide that may help you with some of your questions.

In answer to your specific questions ;

1) You are likely to pay import duty and VAT
    - Import duty, contact The Customs Classification Unit in Nenagh (see page 7) and they will give you an opinion on the Customs Tariff Number and the rate of duty applicable. Duty is charged over the cost of the product (as per invoice), Transport Insurance cost and Freight costs
    - VAT is likely to be charged @ 23%. VAT is charged over the foregoing plus import duty. NB : If you are registered for VAT, the VAT paid on import is a deductible input and can be claimed back in your periodic VAT return.
    I am attaching a duty / vat calculator that may assist you in determining the Duty and VAT outlay you are likely to face. The Customs Rate of Exchange for the US Dollar to Euro for March is 1.323
    2) If you are a VAT registered trader, you need to register for EORI. (see page 6). That is a simple process. If you are not a VAT registered trader and import this as a (single) private transaction you may not have to register for EORI. Suggest to clarify that with the EORI section in AEP Helpdesk
    3) I would recommend to contact a number of Irish Freight Forwarders and ask them to cost the transportation from the USA to your door. In order to do so they would need to know ;
    A) Size of container (e.g. 20' / 40' / 40' Hi Cube) In some instances 45' containers may be available
    B) Point of origin / collection
    C) INCO terms (e.g. Ex Works, Free On Board etc)
    D) Point of delivery in Ireland
    E) Commodity
    F) Value
    With that information any freight forwarder should be able to issue a detailed quotation.
    4) US Taxes should not be an issue, since the container is exported

Hope the foregoing gives you a good indication of the steps to take and how to go about costing your importation. Feel free to post again or PM me if you require any further information.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Thanks for the detailed reply, Its really appreciated.
    I`ll need a while to digest the info but I will get back to you with more questions I`m sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Depending on what you mean by materials, if it is something that is copyrighted and trademarked you may also need the permission from the trademark holder/ copyright holder to bring it into the EU. For example if it was a product like Ariel washing powder you would need the permission from the holder here or they could look for copyright or trade infringement which can end up being very expensive law suit. An article below will show an example.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb5245/is_7899_232/ai_n31644341/

Advertisement