Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Phone

Options
  • 26-02-2012 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Right people, the story is i was out friday night bit worse for wear, jumped in a taxi at the rank to bring me home all fine. Woke up next morning went to get phone - gone. Dropped it in the taxi. Phone turned off then.Nightmare, phoned rapid cabs last night they put a call out to all taxi drivers but no good so far. Phoned guards and no good up there either. Anyone have any other ideas or has it happened to them before and they got it back. Its fairly distinct as had a custome cover on the back that was limited edition so gonna keep an eye out in cash for gold and these places aswell. Bad form from the taxi man all the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did you try where you were drinking, had you a pin code on it, if not send it a few texts in the hope someone powers it up and gets the message, if you've a pin code on it the chances of getting it back are slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Right people, the story is i was out friday night bit worse for wear, jumped in a taxi at the rank to bring me home all fine. Woke up next morning went to get phone - gone. Dropped it in the taxi. Phone turned off then.Nightmare, phoned rapid cabs last night they put a call out to all taxi drivers but no good so far. Phoned guards and no good up there either. Anyone have any other ideas or has it happened to them before and they got it back. Its fairly distinct as had a custome cover on the back that was limited edition so gonna keep an eye out in cash for gold and these places aswell. Bad form from the taxi man all the same.

Tbh the taxi man might not of even known it was there! He hardly goes looking in the back after every fair to see if anyone left anything behind. Did you ever think the next person who got in the car might of picked it up and said nothing?? It was your phone and your responsibility to look after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Blue Dreamer

Had a pin code on it yeah. No definitely had it getting into the taxi. Lets just say it was a fairly expensive one so there'd be a market for selling it on. To be honest its the hassle of losing all the numbers etc. thats the worst part. Plus battery was full so if had a chance of getting it back whoever had it would have left it turned on and accepted calls. I disabled the account yesterday and cancelled the sim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

was it an iphone?? cos i think there,s an app for locating lost phones???

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

This happened to me. I was on the bus going to portlaoise and just before getting off the bus I put it into my back pocket forgetting there was a hole in it :o. When I got to where I was going I realized it was gone. Retraced my steps but no show. It was lost in a car park so could have gone under a car or someone could have seen me drop it and picked it up and kept it.

The guys in meteor called it for me and I went through carpark listening for it.

Needless to say I never got it back but the scumbag who did find it called france twice and texted germany twice in the space of 15 mins just before I had the sim deactivated.

OP I wouldn't hold any hope of getting the phone back. If its an expensive one the person who has it either kept it or sold it on. Plenty of scum bags out there who don't care that you may have important numbers or sentimental photo's videos on it.

• Advertisement

it was the samsung galaxy S. was in the front seat of the taxi so probability is the driver has it, turned it off and will be selling it on.i know its my responsibility however i know the first thing i'd do if i found a phone is try my damndest to find its owner. Not hard to go through the contacts and find home/mam/dad etc. suppose thats too much to ask for these days. The other thing is it happened a friend of my sisters same kind of story but irish driver and didnt he remember the house and all and drop it up to her.

Expensive phone alright. Alot to be said for a driver that will return someones property. The others are just scum and shouldn't be driving people around if they are going to steal whatever they find in the taxi be it someone's phone or wallet. You would hope the person would look for your parents numbers or even an ICE number but like I said pure scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭achiman

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭stephen1968

what colour was the driver,i dropped mine in a bar went back the next day to ask if it been handed in no.so i went and got another then a few hours later i got a call from my cousin saying that a guy had phoned him to say that he had handed it in,fair play to ya man..

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

it was the samsung galaxy S. was in the front seat of the taxi so probability is the driver has it, turned it off and will be selling it on.i know its my responsibility however i know the first thing i'd do if i found a phone is try my damndest to find its owner. Not hard to go through the contacts and find home/mam/dad etc. suppose thats too much to ask for these days. The other thing is it happened a friend of my sisters same kind of story but irish driver and didnt he remember the house and all and drop it up to her.

If you activated your included samsung dive account for the phone you can track it / disable it wipe it online http://www.samsungdive.com

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions lads. don't wann turn this into a race debate. But he wasn't coloured, was white but prob east european of some sort from the accent. Given up hope at this stage. Looking like new phone tomorrow.Just hope whoever has it gets their comeuppance.Deserve nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭stephen1968

Thanks for the suggestions lads. don't wann turn this into a race debate. But he wasn't coloured, was white but prob east european of some sort from the accent. Given up hope at this stage. Looking like new phone tomorrow.Just hope whoever has it gets their comeuppance.Deserve nothing more.
    well thats true and we all learn from are mistakes........

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭YoureSoVain

The majority of taxi drivers DO check their cars after each customer, thats where they get their tips! And (Irish) drivers making a fortune selling on the phones they find. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Op if you ring your network provider they shud have the phones imei on record and they will be able to put it into a database blocking anyone from using it on any of the irish networks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

what colour was the driver,

What's the relevance?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

I doubt you lost it in the taxi, they are usually fairly prompt at returning lost item's from taxi's around the town in fairness.

The iphone software is probably deleted already and new IOS5 installed.

Forget about the phone now and try not to get as drunk the next time you're out:rolleyes:

ikeano29 wrote: »
    I doubt you lost it in the taxi, they are usually fairly prompt at returning lost item's from taxi's around the town in fairness.

The iphone software is probably deleted already and new IOS5 installed.

Forget about the phone now and try not to get as drunk the next time you're out:rolleyes:

Are you suggesting he lost the phone because he was drunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

I had a nokia n95 was brand new at the time cost me 500 or there abouts, was in the back of a taxi with a pizza and left the phone on top of the pizza box, when i was going into my pocket to pay the man the phone must of fell off the pizza box and the taxi driver wasnt even out of the square a minute before i realised and rang the phone and it rang out, rang it again and phone turned off. He was black and I never seen the phone again, wasn't handed in even tho I knew what rank it came from they said they had no clue etc etc. I gave the man a tenner and the fare was 7 euro and thats what annoyed me was I gave him a tip. Friend of mine lost hers last weekend including her house keys granted she was drunk but she phoned another friend to say she was in a taxi, got home had no keys so only place she could have left it was taxi, never seen again ... samsung galaxy!! For that reason, I choose what taxi I want even when in the rats. Sorry for the rant but it p**ses me off even to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Are you suggesting he lost the phone because he was drunk?

YES! The first line in his sentence is the giveaway.

Advertisement