Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling with an infant (formula/water)

Options
  • 26-02-2012 1:49pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this should be in the travel section.

Am heading out with what will be a 5.5 month year old baby to New Zealand in June, however before we do the long trip wanted to do a trial run to the UK for the weekend.

Am in the process of getting a passport sorted, does anyone have experience with carrying sterile water for a journey (through security etc), unfortunately the formula we use is not available in the small made up cartons.

Anyone any experience/tips/advice?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

They can be a bit funny about the water, especially if you have a lot. I suggest using bottled water... more expensive on the flight, but much much less to carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I dont think you can use bottled water, something to do with sodium levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

How much water are you planning to take through security? I'm flying to the UK next month with my 7mth old, I wondered the same as yourself. I expect they'll ask me to taste it.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

You won't need a huge amount to last the journey so if you put it into a couple of bottles rather than one for during the travel. Anything else can go in your check in or be made when you get there. Even for the journey to new Zealand if you put what you need in smaller bottles it should be ok I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jingler

I travelled quite a bit with my eldest. What I would do was put the correct amount of cooled boiled water required to make a feed in the baby bottle. Put that in a resealable plastic bag. Carried the powder in a dispenser or bought it in the sachets sometimes and would add that to the water when required. I was never asked to taste it but I would be prepared to do that. Once was asked what was in the bottle- explained that it was water for baby formula. Never had a problem.
    :cool: Bon voyage

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/formula.shtm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I dont think you can use bottled water, something to do with sodium levels.

At 5 months u would be ok with a low sodium bottled water. I think less that 15mg/l is suitable but check it out.

Advertisement