Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphones of Summer 2012

Options
  • 26-02-2012 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Ok so let's talk smartphones coming this summer. I'm hoping to get my first smartphone this summer and just want to talk about the line up:

iPhone 5
    Samsung Galaxy S III
    HTC One X
    LG Optimus 4X HD
    Added:
    Sony Xperia S
    :confused:Nokia Lumia 900:confused:

So what do you think will be the best smartphone this summer?
    I know LG has kind of gone off the radar recently. But it is set to make a comeback with it's 1.5 GHz quad core processor, along with an extra "companion core" for multi-tasking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Right now is difficult to see how the Samsung Galaxy S III can't win phone of the year 2012. The rumored spec of the HTC One X and iPhone 5 are not close.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

HTC One X
    HTC-One-X-detalii-complete-1.jpg

LG Optimus 4X HD
    285123,xcitefun-lg-optimus-4x-hd-1.jpg

Fungus wrote: »
    Right now is difficult to see how the Samsung Galaxy S III can't win phone of the year 2012. The rumored spec of the HTC One X and iPhone 5 are not close.

Yes I agree but with what has come out in The Sunday Times today has made Android on trustworthy. Under the terms and conditions, which most accept without reading, an app can read your texts, look at your call/internet history, store your contacts and even make calls and take pictures without you knowing.
    That said Android, Microsoft and Apple are all in talks with app developers about trying to stop this

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

when is the new htc due out? if i had known that i would have held off on my upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭pigeon999

samsung has two chips
    1.5gz quad core chip
    2 gz dual core chip
    if the 2gz chip is ready for the galaxy s3 it will blow every smartphone out of the market. quad core wont beat it
    i want htc one v as it will hopefully be cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

niallharty wrote: »
    HTC One X
    HTC-One-X-detalii-complete-1.jpg

LG Optimus 4X HD
    285123,xcitefun-lg-optimus-4x-hd-1.jpg

Same tired old HTC design language for the one, which is really disappointing. It's not ab ad looking phone by any means, but FFS hire some new designers. It does look like they're toning down Sense finally, but as with all manufacturers I'd rather they get rid of it altogether and have stock Android. That LG looks terrible, how can they hope to increase market share when they produce the likes of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AlmostCared

You left out Sony's first smartphone independent of Ericsson. The Sony Xperia S. sony-xperia-s.jpg

The Xperia S, which debuted earlier this year at CES 2012 in Las Vegas, is powered by a 1.5 GHz dual-core CPU and 1 GB worth of memory. The phone’s rear-facing camera is arguably the best feature – at 12 megapixels, not many other smartphone manufacturers can brag of such a powerful high-resolution shooter.

It can also record video to the tune of 1080p and a front camera is also available, with a more standard 1.3 megapixel resolution. Sure, it may not ship with Android’s latest Ice Cream Sandwich platform, but an update will be made available later in the year.

Customers can also choose from either 16 GB or 32 GB internal storage options. The Sony Xperia S’ display comes in the form of a 4.3-inch, 1280 x 720 touchscreen.
    sony-xperia-s-white.jpg

You left out Sony's first smartphone independent of Ericsson. The Sony Xperia S. sony-xperia-s.jpg

The Xperia S, which debuted earlier this year at CES 2012 in Las Vegas, is powered by a 1.5 GHz dual-core CPU and 1 GB worth of memory. The phone’s rear-facing camera is arguably the best feature – at 12 megapixels, not many other smartphone manufacturers can brag of such a powerful high-resolution shooter.

It can also record video to the tune of 1080p and a front camera is also available, with a more standard 1.3 megapixel resolution. Sure, it may not ship with Android’s latest Ice Cream Sandwich platform, but an update will be made available later in the year.

Customers can also choose from either 16 GB or 32 GB internal storage options. The Sony Xperia S’ display comes in the form of a 4.3-inch, 1280 x 720 touchscreen.
    sony-xperia-s-white.jpg

Yes actually, sorry about that there are 3 new sony branded Xperia phones:
    Sony Xperia P
    sony Xperia U
    Sony Xperia S

shot2go wrote: »
    when is the new htc due out? if i had known that i would have held off on my upgrade

It could be released as early as March but most likely April... But then again if you just upgraded you don't want to hear that do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

niallharty wrote: »
    shot2go wrote: »

It could be released as early as March but most likely April... But then again if you just upgraded you don't want to hear that do you?
    Chances of it being on an irish carrier ~0 so I wouldn't be too upset.
    Quite like the look of the HTC myself.

• Advertisement

Idleater wrote: »
    Chances of it being on an irish carrier ~0 so I wouldn't be too upset.
    Quite like the look of the HTC myself.

You could get a good price on an unlocked one on Amazon.de or Amazon.co.uk which ever is cheaper.
    Then I would advise using the 3 prepay offer of €20 top up to get Free any network texts, free any net. calls at weekends and unlimited data

HTC have announced that the One X will have beats audio like the Sensation XE/XL htc-one-x-1.jpg

Oh and sorry for leaving out any windows phone fans... This is the latest competition from their team. Although it's single core 1.4 GHz can't beat the other companies 1.5GHz quad core nokia-lumia-900-ww-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭readmylips

oooh, I love this thread....what about the Galaxy Note vodafone are hyping up...does it even compare to the s3??? or is it the same thing???

readmylips wrote: »
    oooh, I love this thread....what about the Galaxy Note vodafone are hyping up...does it even compare to the s3??? or is it the same thing???

Well the screen is 5.3 inches in the Galaxy Note but the Galaxy S III is likely to be 4.8 which is better if you want it to fit in your pocket ;)!
    The camera and processor will be a lot better on the S3. Also the galaxy Note is outdated it came out in October last year and was on Amazon since November! I would wait for the S3 if I were you, just get an unlocked one online on Amazon - as they are trustworthy. :D
    Glad you like the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Im liking the look of the ONE s, myself. It seems like a sensible size phone. Some of the new phones are nuts. A 5.3 inch phone, really? For me that is just not practical for single handed use.
    I had the SGS II before and realistically it was just too large. I don't mean in my pocket - as it was so thin it was perfect, but I mean comfortably holding and using it with one hand, it was just too much of a stretch - it's not like I have especially small hands either - Size 7.5 surgical gloves.

niallharty ...SOLD...thank you, thats all I needed...any idea when vf will release s3 for upgraders ????? batt life supposed to be a vast improvement is it not??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,471 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I love the look and design of the Xperia S, but I have a feeling that the SGS3 will be better tech specs wise.

I personally dislike HTC's design in general, so I wouldn't bother with the one range.

Nokia's WP7 phones have me a little interested, but I think I'll stick to android.

Nokia's 808 Pureview, with it's 41MP camera is an absolute no go for me. I'm not a professional photographer, and have rarely used any camera ever on any phone. Plus, I've grown to hate symbian in the last few years, they should have put it in a WP7 phone.

There's so much more due to come out or be announced, I could be here all day, but it's safe to say that it's gonna be a great year for smartphones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I love the look and design of the Xperia S, but I have a feeling that the SGS3 will be better tech specs wise.

I personally dislike HTC's design in general, so I wouldn't bother with the one range.

Nokia's WP7 phones have me a little interested, but I think I'll stick to android.

Nokia's 808 Pureview, with it's 41MP camera is an absolute no go for me. I'm not a professional photographer, and have rarely used any camera ever on any phone. Plus, I've grown to hate symbian in the last few years, they should have put it in a WP7 phone.

There's so much more due to come out or be announced, I could be here all day, but it's safe to say that it's gonna be a great year for smartphones :D

Well as much as i would like to see the 808 on Windows Phone. Nokia been working on this for 5 years. Windows Phone wasnt even in the picture then. Some software limitations in WP7 prevent them from putting that on Windows Phone 7. But I imagine given sometime because Nokia can customize the OS more and once Windows Phone 8 hardware comes out they will be able to implement their camera technology into the phone.

Personally I think half of the Android phones coming out this year are going to be absolute rubbish.

One reason. Screen size, most of the people i deal with think, especially new smartphone buyers or even older smartphone owners that wouldnt be tech savy like most of us here think that 4.3" screen is pushing it.

What are they going to be thinking when their going to be walking into shops and see phones half the size of the tablet. I dont think the average consumer market will be too pushed towards above 4.3" screen smartphones.

I have a Titan myself with a 4.7" screen and in some ways sometimes it proves to be hard to navigate it with one hand if you pick it up the wrong way, proves to be hard to hold with one hand trying to watch a video or play a game while in bed or so.

I dont mind 4.3" screens but i think the perfect sweet spot for most people would be around 4" that just want the phone for some emails internet browsing and for some occasional media and apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,471 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Well as much as i would like to see the 808 on Windows Phone. Nokia been working on this for 5 years. Windows Phone wasnt even in the picture then. Some software limitations in WP7 prevent them from putting that on Windows Phone 7. But I imagine given sometime because Nokia can customize the OS more and once Windows Phone 8 hardware comes out they will be able to implement their camera technology into the phone.

Personally I think half of the Android phones coming out this year are going to be absolute rubbish.

One reason. Screen size, most of the people i deal with think, especially new smartphone buyers or even older smartphone owners that wouldnt be tech savy like most of us here think that 4.3" screen is pushing it.

What are they going to be thinking when their going to be walking into shops and see phones half the size of the tablet. I dont think the average consumer market will be too pushed towards above 4.3" screen smartphones.

I have a Titan myself with a 4.7" screen and in some ways sometimes it proves to be hard to navigate it with one hand if you pick it up the wrong way, proves to be hard to hold with one hand trying to watch a video or play a game while in bed or so.

I dont mind 4.3" screens but i think the perfect sweet spot for most people would be around 4" that just want the phone for some emails internet browsing and for some occasional media and apps.

I agree with you about screen size. People are very wary about screens getting bigger. I think 4.3 is fine, but most phones this year will make that look small!

I also think apple may venture past the 3.5 inch screen for the first time this year, but time will tell on that.

I think WP8 will be a great mobile OS when it hits the market!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Yeah but i dont see the iPhone going beyond 4.3". My prediction its either gonna stay the same size or go up to 4" .

• Advertisement

niallharty ...SOLD...thank you, thats all I needed...any idea when vf will release s3 for upgraders ????? batt life supposed to be a vast improvement is it not??

Well it will be during the summer I expect, June at the earliest. Are you getting a contract with vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Yeah but i dont see the iPhone going beyond 4.3". My prediction its either gonna stay the same size or go up to 4" .

Will apple make the screen bigger though. I remember them saying before that they felt the 3.5" screen was the perfect size as the holder could reach across both sides of the screen with their thumb.

well my existing contract will be ready for upgrade then(yes vodafone)...and im a tech addict...why, have i a better option dya think?

Any ideas when the Samsung Galaxy S3 is being announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

As someone has said, the size of these new phones are beyond ridiculous. How big are they going to make them before they stop?

Mobile phones should be, for the main part, mobile. That is, small and easy to carry around. The iPhone is around about my limit for phone size - any bigger is just making things awkward. What's next, putting an tablet to your ear to make a call? Or are they slowly phasing out the 'phone' part of smartphones?

I like lots of the features of the new phones, but the size of the phones themselves is making me discount them immediately.

I understand that bigger equals more room for viewing webpages, but that's what I use my laptop for. Smartphones are useful for checking emails, maybe use an occasional app that brings you Facebook/Twitter/a game. I don't want my smartphone to replace my laptop.

As someone has said, the size of these new phones are beyond ridiculous. How big are they going to make them before they stop?

Mobile phones should be, for the main part, mobile. That is, small and easy to carry around. The iPhone is around about my limit for phone size - any bigger is just making things awkward. What's next, putting an tablet to your ear to make a call? Or are they slowly phasing out the 'phone' part of smartphones?

I like lots of the features of the new phones, but the size of the phones themselves is making me discount them immediately.

I understand that bigger equals more room for viewing webpages, but that's what I use my laptop for. Smartphones are useful for checking emails, maybe use an occasional app that brings you Facebook/Twitter/a game. I don't want my smartphone to replace my laptop.

I think large phones are much better. I'm planning on buying the Samsung Galaxy Note as I love the huge screen. However, I don't see the point in Tablets. It's a computer with less capabilities, you cant fit it in your pocket, and the iPad doesn't even have flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭ofcork

Does anyone know when O2 will have or if they are getting the htc one x,out of contract with vf in april and have to go with O2 or tesco,vf have it on their coming soon section already.

well my existing contract will be ready for upgrade then(yes vodafone)...and im a tech addict...why, have i a better option dya think?

Well I'd have to know how much your paying a month first... €30/€40/€50?
    Any ideas when the Samsung Galaxy S3 is being announced?

Should be in mid March at the latest April!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

I think large phones are much better. I'm planning on buying the Samsung Galaxy Note as I love the huge screen. However, I don't see the point in Tablets. It's a computer with less capabilities, you cant fit it in your pocket, and the iPad doesn't even have flash.

I wish they'd release smaller-size phones though. It seems that smaller screen sizes are only being paired with the budget-end versions of phones (the ones with inferior features).

As a guy (that doesn't have a handbag or manbag), I value a small-ish phone that fits neatly in my pocket but also can snap a good picture, or let me check a web page/email on the fly. They don't appear to offer that at the moment, and none of the new announced phones offer it either.

I understand some people love the big screen real estate, but surely there's a chunk of the market that would prefer a smaller, pocketable phone as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭vicM

The HTC x and Sony Xperia S really look good and are top contenders. For me Screen is vital and having Used AMOLED cannot really go back to LCD technology.

Im thinking Samsung will really have to come up with something special for SGSIII or there will be blood. Hearing romours of a 4.7" screen which imo is too large.4.3" is the sweet spot

Glad I got the SGS2 when it came out last July (Took a punt with Vodafone prepay and the phone was unlocked and actually cheaper then the rest :D). In another month or so ill get ICS and it will be a whole new toy

Advertisement