Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphones of Summer 2012

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

Just wondering what ye think, should I add the just announced Huawei Ascend D
    huawei-ascend-d-quad-1.jpg
    You can purchase an XL version with a whopping 2500mAh (regular one being 1800mAh) Also has a quad core 1.5GHz processor and a 4.5 inch screen

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

niallharty wrote: »
    Just wondering what ye think, should I add the just announced Huawei Ascend D
    huawei-ascend-d-quad-1.jpg
    You can purchase an XL version with a whopping 2500mAh (regular one being 1800mAh) Also has a quad core 1.5GHz processor and a 4.5 inch screen

Looks pretty sweet. I'll be really curious to see what the pricing is like on this. I've got ichy feat at the minute and want an Android device...this looks interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭readmylips

perfect choice access plus, 45 ish, total bill per month works out about 55 euro !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

Gah, am due an upgrade and was contemplating moving from my iphone (3gs) to the SII. Now that there's an SIII in the works, I don't know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AlmostCared

I wish they'd release smaller-size phones though. It seems that smaller screen sizes are only being paired with the budget-end versions of phones (the ones with inferior features).

As a guy (that doesn't have a handbag or manbag), I value a small-ish phone that fits neatly in my pocket but also can snap a good picture, or let me check a web page/email on the fly. They don't appear to offer that at the moment, and none of the new announced phones offer it either.

I understand some people love the big screen real estate, but surely there's a chunk of the market that would prefer a smaller, pocketable phone as well?

I totally agree with you on that point.

• Advertisement

quietriot, hold out for sIII, heard the s2 had very short battery life, and i read somewhere that samsung have "addressed" this with the sIII.... just what ive read however, not actual experience !

readmylips wrote: »
    perfect choice access plus, 45 ish, total bill per month works out about 55 euro !

Well Billpay, in my opinion isn't the best way to go. I mean let's say you pay an average of €50 a month, where as on pay as you go with three you pay €20 (free texts to any network, free calls to three, free any network calls at the weekend and unlimited data). That means you have to pay €30 extra for less data and texts, 50 x 18 month contract = €900. That as well as the Samsung Galxy S3 costing about €200 (estimate) on Billpay is €1100! A Prepay S3 would be €500 plus €20 x 18 = €860. 860 is the most because your not on a contract so you only have to pay when you feel like it

ya have a point there..but is 3 coverage not a bit, well, em, flaky????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

3 coverage is fine where I am. I live in a small town in the west. I joined from 02 about 2 months ago because of their pity full data allowance and so far its been very good

fine for voice and 3G coverage???, cos the 3g coverage here (between turloughmore n corofin) is rubbitch !! ;) uv got me thinking !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Go to the three web site and order a free sim and try it out in a phone and see. The all you can eat data plus texts and minutes (cant remember how many) for a 20 quid top up is a real deal clincher for me anyway. Plus you still have the 20 top up for calls or text or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I quite liked Panasonic's Eluga Power offering. Slim handset with a decent battery life, and can do a rapid charge in 30 mins. 5 inch screen, 1.5Ghz Dual Core processor, waterproof (They submersed it in one gadget site video), and will get ICS very shortly.

I like the idea of a QWERTY slider though I must say. My next phone will have to have that. I've had the Boxwave Keyboard Buddy Case for my iPhone and gotten really used to physical buttons.

Here's the Panasonic :

panasonic-eluga-power.jpg

Owen wrote: »
    I quite liked Panasonic's Eluga Power offering. Slim handset with a decent battery life, and can do a rapid charge in 30 mins. 5 inch screen, 1.5Ghz Dual Core processor, waterproof (They submersed it in one gadget site video), and will get ICS very shortly.

I like the idea of a QWERTY slider though I must say. My next phone will have to have that. I've had the Boxwave Keyboard Buddy Case for my iPhone and gotten really used to physical buttons.

Here's the Panasonic :

panasonic-eluga-power.jpg
    Yeah I was just going to add that but it's processor only being dual core and the 5 inch screen is too big in my opinion 4.7-4.8 is my max. The other phones I've posted here are all quad core, except for The Nokia Lumia 900.

The Xperia Pro is an alright phone which will be upgraded to Android 4.0 shortly and has a qwerty slider, but it lags behind the HTC One, Huawei Ascend, the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the others here

Samsung Galaxy S III will launch in April! For a summer release which will be pushed by samsung advertising during the olympics

Well this thread went very quiet for the last 2 months but I have some big news for those of you who didn't now samsung was holding a major event in London today. The Galaxy s iii was announced:
    The new beast is 8.6mm thin, weighs 133g, has a 1.4Ghz Exynos 4 quad core processor, 1GB RAM, 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED screen with a resolution of 1280×720, 2100mAh battery, 16/32/64 GB variants, eye tracking, a rear facing 8MP camera and a front facing 1.9MP camera.
    offiical1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭pigeon999

Well this thread went very quiet for the last 2 months but I have some big news for those of you who didn't now samsung was holding a major event in London today. The Galaxy s iii was announced:
    The new beast is 8.6mm thin, weighs 133g, has a 1.4Ghz Exynos 4 quad core processor, 1GB RAM, 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED screen with a resolution of 1280×720, 2100mAh battery, 16/32/64 GB variants, eye tracking, a rear facing 8MP camera and a front facing 1.9MP camera.
    offiical1.jpg
    Wireless charging, nfc, Bluetooth 4 and other things which Sammie called smart_____

Wireless charging...cool....

Release date?....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

readmylips wrote: »
    Release date?....

28 of May if I remember correctly. That was said for Europe, no exact date for Ireland. Probably half a year down the line as usual

Really!,,?... Balls :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭vicM

offiical1.jpg

im not sure about the design but they seem to have really done something with the software. The battery and screen stand out to me. Not sure about quad-core. seems OTT.

It's already listed on amazon.co.uk for around €600 unlocked. It also has a better version of Siri called S Voice. It does 8 languages and even understands different dialects, unlike siri which finds it hard to understand Irish accents I heard. I read somewhere that if you tell it to shut up or scream at it in the morning when the alarm goes off it will snooze for another 10 minutes, but that seems a little far fetched to me

28 of May if I remember correctly. That was said for Europe, no exact date for Ireland. Probably half a year down the line as usual

Irish networks have picked up the pace though... Some off them even got the HTC One X earlier than in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Looks a really nice phone.

Did I miss something. I thought we were part of Europe or did we leave without being told:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

I'm not sure about it.. The screen is 0.5 inch bigger than my Galaxy S2 - which I find is probably at the higher end of the screen size I'd be looking for in a phone (before moving into tablet teritory).

I'd have been much more interested if the screen had been kept the same size and the battery life were improved by 50%+.

Ah well, my contract ain't up until the start of August so there'll be a whole host of phones out by then. I could even be venturing back to Apple-World depending on what they release (battery power is my main concern and, if apple release a 4 inch screened model with good battery life, I'd be VERY tempted).

Advertisement