Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vapers meetup

Options
  • 26-02-2012 2:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

so i was over on ukvapers and noticed they have an irish vapers forum, with a dormant thread about an irish meetup that never got off the ground over there
    I remember seeing a few people post here asking about having a meet as well so i figured between both forums there must be enough people to agree a time and place at some point in the future

http://ukvapers.com/topic/3942-irish-meet/page__st__40

a good chunk of them are up north, and a good chunk of us are all over the bloody shop so as much as it pains me to say this (hating Dublin as I do) maybe somewhere in that urine soaked hellhole would be a good middle of the road place for a venue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

so i was over on ukvapers and noticed they have an irish vapers forum, with a dormant thread about an irish meetup that never got off the ground over there
    I remember seeing a few people post here asking about having a meet as well so i figured between both forums there must be enough people to agree a time and place at some point in the future

http://ukvapers.com/topic/3942-irish-meet/page__st__40

a good chunk of them are up north, and a good chunk of us are all over the bloody shop so as much as it pains me to say this (hating Dublin as I do) maybe somewhere in that urine soaked hellhole would be a good middle of the road place for a venue?

Funniest man on the forum by a country mile :D

Yeah i'd probably up for that depending on the date, maybe do a poll if there is enough interest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd be up for it too if I'm free.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I work EVERY weekend, but i could see if i could work something out if i had enough notice to get the day off.

Maybe if we could get a function room in a hotel, and maybe try get some of the vendors to come along also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

eeloe wrote: »

Maybe if we could get a function room in a hotel, and maybe try get some of the vendors to come along also?

That would be a great idea.

Vendors could organise some sort of 'trade show' to cover the cost of the function room.

Seeing that there seems to be no actual 'walk in' shops in the country, it would be a great way for them to demonstrate their wares & generate extra sales.

If it was in Dublin, or anywhere else in Leinster, I'd certainly go,so long as it was a weekend night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you think there'd be enough vapers around to justify a trade show though?

it'd be a good idea, but maybe just a small meet up first.. keep expectations low :) a cafe or a pub, rather than a hotel

• Advertisement

you think there'd be enough vapers around to justify a trade show though?

it'd be a good idea, but maybe just a small meet up first.. keep expectations low :) a cafe or a pub, rather than a hotel

Maybe a small Trade Show?:D

Vapers tend to be people giving up the Smokes & people who are giving up smoking tend to be over the 30/35 mark.

People with work commitments, small kids, bills, etc....

I think there would have to some kind of 'event', no matter how small to attract people from this forum.

A few vendors demonstrating their products would be of intrest to a good few on here, I think.

*shrug*

all I know is i'm not organising anything, I just said I'd make the thread here to see if people were interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

http://www.world-vaping-day.com/
    Too soon?
    Dublin probably best for transport to and from, cafe or pub for size and vendors would be welcome.
    I'm up for it. Not got much to share though. Twould be nice to put faces to avatars.

hrm, it's a thursday.. could be awkward for people to travel on a weekday

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

World Vaping Day is Thursday March 22. Maybe tie in with that. I would tend to agree with comment above about age of vapers etc, but have no evidence of same, but I would think that an evening would suit people better than day time. I also have no idea of level of interest.

• Advertisement

If your right about the average age, I'm definitely the youngest. Wehey! Haha

A meet up would be cool, I only suggested about the vendors so we could have the chance of bringing home some new toys, and juices and what not aswell as meeting up with everyone! :-)

I personally think somewhere in Carlow would be best, I mean with the new motor ways and all it'd be pretty central for anyone traveling.

yeah
    carlow
    definitely
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Carlow is good for me too, How vape friendly are pubs or cafes in Carlow?
    In Kilkenny on my own, no problem ever, but if 20 of us turned up???
    This would apply inside the pail too or anywhare, a venue would need to know exactly what was involved. Just asking around would be an interesting experiment in itself.

yeah, dunno
    it really depends on when it's on too
    weekends most pubs would have quite a few people in them, but you'd get a few scumbags walking in seeing people vaping and then lighting up fags. pubs might not want to deal with that

i dont even live in carlow town anymore, and am rarely able to head in so dont know when ill be able to head in to ask in any pubs

i suppose if it's a good day we could head to a beer garden.. or even a pub with a roofed smoking area

Carlow good for me too.:D

I live fairly close to town.

ah, great
    you sort it out so

If I could ask anyone who's actually arranging this, to try and keep it away from a bank holiday week? It'd be a near impossibility for me to get any time off on a BH weekend, and I would really like to attend this.

:-)

ah, great
    you sort it out so

Well, if there's sufficient intrest, I could look into something in the Carlow area venuewise.

well lets keep bumping the thread for a while, see how many people might be interested. let the ukvapers crowd have a say as well
    once we get a feel for how many people might turn up, we can look at dates and venues I guess

all else fails the four of us could just meet up for a few pints some weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

Just to put the spanner in the works would Portlaoise be a better location to suit me ha ha.. Great idea and I love the thoughts of being able to purchase goodies from vendors (They might even run some promotions on the day!) and people could share knowledge etc... I do honestly think Portlaoise is more central Ireland though and I'd definitely be interested in going.

• Advertisement

I knew someone would mention Portlaoise...I've never been there, so couldn't comment on the place! :-)

I'd say we're best to leave this as it is for another week, and see what kinda numbers we have then, an decide if it should be a meet up or a mini event!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

eeloe wrote: »
    I knew someone would mention Portlaoise...I've never been there, so couldn't comment on the place! :-)

Same as Carlow, really. Central to Ireland and not much else. Great prison though.

How about Cahrrrrk, the centre of the world, like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

as i have said before im up for it.dont mind giveing a lift to ppl eather

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

grindle wrote: »
    How about Cahrrrrk, the centre of the world, like?

Would defo be up for it then :D, Carlows a bit too far for me cause i cant drive :(

that's ok, stealthirl can give you a lift

doubt they will travel from kildare!!! Have it in Cork and I can get ye good rates at a snobby hotel I work in!!!!!! maybe :-)

ahh but the advantage of carlow is that it's on the main waterford - dublin road
    bound to be busses from cork to carlow :)
    weirdly enough there's none from carlow to cork.
    that oughta tell you something

Yep takes about 4hours and costs about €30+ for a return :(

30?!
    jesus

mad to think in a country this small we have more trouble getting people together than you'd likely find in california

• Advertisement

I know yeah, was in waterford last weekend and bus cost 28 return, fecking crazy!!! but thats a thread for the R&R forum I think! don't think I'd be up for it (can hardly get time off work) but if a date is fixed ill see what i can do :-)

Advertisement