Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lurgan park?

Options
  • 26-02-2012 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Looking at a house in Lurgan park,renmore.We have a young enough family and were looking for any info at all about the area from people who have lived here.I know there will be a large amount of students living in the area as with most estates in Galway but would it be a nice area to raise children?
    Also if anyone could tell me what the bus service is like into town?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

good bus service outside gmit, the street im living in is 90% students very quite at weekends but it gets crazy nosiy during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

I went to a few parties in Lurgan Park in the 90's. Not too sure what it's like now, but I am guessing it is still populated with students due to it's proximity to the GMIT college.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 U2sir

Not nearly as many students there now because of new student villages that were built recently (acreoos from GMIT in Ballybane and at Kings valley out the road to Oranmoe. I lived there until recently and had no problem. Lots of open space for children.
    Bus stop at Merlin Park beside Merlin Bar and at GMIT. Also a shop there. Lots of families living there - drive around at school time. Biggest annoyance is overflow of cars from GMIT parking there and Driving Schools using the area as a driving test centre.
    Also site for new Garda station at entrance to Lurgan at GMIT roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Also site for new Garda station at entrance to Lurgan at GMIT roundabout.

That Garda station will never be built, its on hold and was only going ahead in the good times when we had lots of money.The sign for it is up for years.

I lived in Lurgan Park for about 3 years and rarely had troubles with loud noises from other students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Students are generally well behaved in Lurgan Park, there was an active residents assoc a few years back (not active now I think)but the Renmore Residents Assoc. are still active and take an interest in Lurgan Park( Renmore Assoc have a register of landlords if you have a problem with anti social behaviour).I live in lurgan park, 12 houses on street,4 of which are rented to students/others,I know the 4 landlords and I have told them if I am awoken by noise from parties, they will be as well:D I have had only 2 problems in four years and the landlords took care of the situation promptly.BTW there is no definitive date for the construction of the Garda Station but it will be built when/if economic conditions improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

apart from the students, what is the area like in general? would ye say it's a safe area?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As a tip - to find info on areas I usually check what has been mentioned in Advertiser as they write out the address in any criminal case.

If you Google like this you won't find much in the last years.
    If we do the same for Castle park like so we get a few more hits :D

Apologies to any Castle park residents that may feel singled out.

biko wrote: »
    As a tip - to find info on areas I usually check what has been mentioned in Advertiser as they write out the address in any criminal case.

If you Google like this you won't find much in the last years.
    If we do the same for Castle park like so we get a few more hits :D

Thanks biko,
    that's a useful search string. I did already search the Galway Advertiser site and saw a few of those reports....made we wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Friend of mine grew up there, said it's a nice area but there are times when the students drove him insane (until he became one himself!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 heisenberg412

Hi guys,i would like to get some up to date info about lurgan park.thinking of moving myself,but have heard some bad stuff as regaurds noise from students.could anyone give me some fresh insight please?it is the last turn in to lurgan that i am currently looking at a house in,not sure if that makes a difference but the place is big enough!thanks.

I don't know about that end of Lurgan Park. Gleann Rua, which is close by does have a lot of students. Further up it's certainly very quiet. I heard there used to be more problems with noisy students a few years ago, but not these days.

thanks,its a tough call!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Every housing estate in Renmore has students, it's just a reality if you want to live close to Galway city. There is a student patrol run by the GMIT/students union which deals with any disturbance issues. I have lived in Renmore for a few years and rarely experienced any problems. The demand for accommodation in the area and the presence of the GMIT is a good thing for any home owners. If you're considering buying in the area just look up the property price register and see how much property is selling in the area, this will give you facts rather than opinions. There's great facilities in the area for families - beach, pitches, gym etc, and there's a new gaelscoil.

Best advice is to drive around the area and see for yourself what's going on. Chat to neighbours if you get a chance. It's pointless relying on the opinion of people who lived in Lurgan years ago.

thanks,its a tough call!
    It certainly is. Just to confirm by the way, I do live there. Another thing to note is the new Garda station opposite the GMIT will start construction soon.

Had not realised that was going ahead,nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Hi, another young family here moving to Galway in September, after much research I think Renmore seems like a convenient area for us. I just wanted a few opinions on whether is it the right choice to make, anything we should be aware of?

PLL wrote: »
    Hi, another young family here moving to Galway in September, after much research I think Renmore seems like a convenient area for us. I just wanted a few opinions on whether is it the right choice to make, anything we should be aware of?

I'm not sure there's much I can add to what's already been said. Two national schools in Renmore is handy, one is a Gealscoil, there's also a new creche opposite GMIT. There aren't many good shops, but the Super Valu in Ballybane is not far. Generally Renmore has more established facilities than newer areas like Roscam and is closer to town. Hard to tell what effect the new Garda station might have on traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭LoveChanel

PLL wrote: »

I have lived in Renmore (lurgan Park) for over 16 years with my parents. The local school which I attened is scoil cathriona. The school is a very good school with strict anti bullying policies and good teachers. There is also a gael scoil in renmore but I can't comment on what it's like only that its a new build and it looks like a good school.
    The Renmore residents assoication has fought very hard to keep as much green areas as possible in our community and has the highest amount of green belts of all Galway city suburbs.
    Theres a lot of activeites for children here. We do have a swimming pool & gym and is only a few minutes from ballyloughan beach. Theres loads of sports clubs st.james and there is also a great pitch at liam Mellows. Theres a scouts den aswel.
    As for other amenities in our area we have a butchers two pharmacies and several shops in the area (there is another pharmacy in the bons scures hospital). There are two GP clinics in tenmore along with a dentists clinic.
    There is a creche and dry cleaning near the fushia drive area. Theres a supermacs gas station and the merlin bar beside lurgan park.
    The students are very quite now days and we have not had any problems with them. There is a great bus route that runs along the dublin road and that goes through renmore.
    Theres a nice community sprit in Renmore people that buy here tend to stay here as we also have a super active retirement group.
    I hope this helps with your decision =] and PM me with any other Questions about the neighbourhood =]

Advertisement