Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Shed DIY

• 26-02-2012 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

I live in Dublin, and I'm looking to build a shed 14fx8f. Good quality sheds of this size would cost about 1200e +, so i plan to do this myself.

Looking for an advice where I can get treated timber for sheds in Dublin/ around for a good price.

any reccomendations please?

what i found in B&Q is timber 2400mm x 75mm x 37mm for about 6euro

Also - do you know any websites with diy sheds projects?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Dont buy your timber in B&Q. You'll be robbed blind in there. Go to a builders yard for your timber and you will get a much better deal on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Dont buy your timber in B&Q. You'll be robbed blind in there. Go to a builders yard for your timber and you will get a much better deal on it.

thats what I'm trying not to do :) , i went to few local builders yards, but they didn't have a treated timber of size i need for a shed, so looking for an advice where I can get it cheap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Have you tried strahen in rathcoole? They might be able to help you out or even tell you were to go

Have you tried strahen in rathcoole? They might be able to help you out or even tell you were to go

Thats what I'm looking for
    brilliant !

I'll be there tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭martin6651

I built my shed and I went to a timber mill that did their own treating and was a lot cheaper than any of the builder providers. But I live in Galway so this is no use to you but there might be a mill close to you.
    My shed is 30x10x8high so I saved a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

This is my shed i built 2 years ago.
    shed1.jpg
    shed2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

I'd second avoiding B&Q or any standard DIY place for timber.

Woodworkers do pressure treated shiplap, €10.17 for 4.8m of 144x19mm.

You might reconsider the 14' dimension as well if space permits. Most wood is supplied in 8' or 16' lengths, so you might expand to 16' for very little extra cost (and reduced wastage).

I visited Strahan today in Rathcoole, and price they gave me on good quality treated timber for shed is 8.67e --> 125mm x18mm x 4800mm, so size of my shed will be 4.8m x 2.4 - 15,7f x 7.8f , all other timber is half price compared to b&q

the only question I have is at the moment is how to properly build roof - would it make sense to put on the top of roof upside down chute, or drain pipe and felt on the top of all roof?

and where can I get good value waterproof membrane?
    should it touch timber on the inside , or better keep small distance between timber and it ?

*Irelandspurs - your project is impressive, but I'm afraid that your roof is more expensive than my budget :)

Advertisement