Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sizes of treated timber

Options
  • 26-02-2012 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I'm planning on putting together a garden fence but hope to design something a little different from the normal panels you can buy pre-assembled. Can anyone give me the most standard dimensions which you can get pressure treated timber in and what lengths that a hardware would have? Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

You will get treated timber in the same sizes as untreated timber. It usually comes in either 8' or 16' lengths

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

It can be hard enough to find treated timber which is planed. Most treated timber is rough and tends to come in standard dimensions, mostly for fencing.
    My local sawmill (county Wicklow) treats the planed timber, in the dimensions I need, to order, if that's any good to you.

Planed timber will end up feeling rough to the touch due to grain raising from the perserative

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

It's going to end up roughened by the weather anyway ;)

slowburner wrote: »
    It's going to end up roughened by the weather anyway ;)

True

• Advertisement

Having said that, I have some treated Scandinavian deal (Estonia, I think) which is very close grained - it's been stored outside for the past couple of years and it hasn't done the usual thing, where the early wood rings stand proud of the late wood rings.

Advertisement