Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Vision and Viewpoint essay

• 26-02-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi, I have a GVVP essay due tomorrow and I don't quite understand the question. :/ I tried writing an opening paragraph but I'm not sure if it's right and answers the question so I was wondering if someone could help me?

Question:- "The GVVP is shaped by the reader's feelings of optimism and pessimism in reading the text". In light of this statement, compare the GVVP in at least two texts you have studied in your comparative course.

Answer (opening paragraph):- There is no doubt that a reader's feelings of optimism and pessimism are shaped by certain aspects of GVVP of each text.The GVVP relates to the authorial/directorial view of life, which inevitably influences our perspective on the text and on the world in which it is set.I'm going to convey how my feelings were shaped by exploring the manner in which the plot opens, develops and concludes, the key characters and relationships and the manner in which a particular society is portrayed. The texts I have studied for my comparative course are "Dancing at Lughnasa" (DAL) by Brian Friel, "How Many Miles to Babylon" (HMMB) by Jennifer Johnston and "Inside I'm Dancing" (IID) directed by Damien O'Donnell.

So that's what my opening paragraph looks like but I don't think it's right. :/
    Is it a correct opening- I mean does it answer the question or am I reading the question wrong? If I am reading it wrong, could someone explain the correct meaning of the question please? :)

Any help would be appreciated, it's kind of urgent!:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

My interpenetration of the question is as follows: How does your reading of the text shape your view of the GVV. I think that's basically what you address, although my version is simplified a lot.

So I think all you need to do is compare how the writer create a positive or negative outlook throughout the text, which influences your view of the GVV.

Your paragraph:
    ''a reader's feelings of optimism and pessimism are shaped by certain aspects of GVVP ''
    The question, as I interpreted it, asks you to discuss how the GVV is shaped by your feelings of optimism and pessimism, you seem to be doing the reverse of this. Its a small detail, but it's something to think about.

''I'm going to convey how my feelings were shaped by ''
    Again, your asked to discuss how the GVV is shaped by your feelings which are influenced my the writer. Youre doing the reverse; discussing how your feelings are shaped by the gvv.
    What's important, in my opinion, is to discuss how the text made you feel optimistic or pessimistic, and how this influences the GVV.

remember your asked to discuss how ''The GVVP is shaped by the reader's feelings of optimism and pessimism''- So, how does the text give you feelings of optimism and pessimism, and how does this contribute to the gvv of the texts.

PS: the point of a comparative question is to make comparisons, not just discuss the texts individually. That's a problem i have alot, i just write like 3 mini essays, without alot of direct comparisons. Keep this in mind, as it always f**ks me up. :p

Just my 2 cents...

Advertisement