Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jupiter.

Options
  • 26-02-2012 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Snapped a quick video of Jupiter last night. Need to really get away from my neighbourhood for better seeing conditions. No Barlow in use.

Going to try get Saturn over the next few nights, clear skies permitting.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

dlofnep wrote: »
    Snapped a quick video of Jupiter last night. Need to really get away from my neighbourhood for better seeing conditions. No Barlow in use.

Going to try get Saturn over the next few nights, clear skies permitting.

You saw this on telescope im assuming? No chance of seening with naked eye im guessing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yes, through my telescope.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Drake66

That is really cool thanks for posting it dlofnep. How did you manage to take it?

Through a NexImage cam, connects to the eye-piece for my telescope, and then a usb lead to my laptop where I record the footage. It allows me to toy with the white-balance and so forth... It's a nuisance to try and get perfect.

I must try that one of these days. It must be difficult enough to do that with a dob.

• Advertisement

Aye it is - handy if you have someone to help keep an eye on the screen for ya.. If you align the finder scope up perfect it's not too bad.

Aye it is - handy if you have someone to help keep an eye on the screen for ya.. If you align the finder scope up perfect it's not too bad.

Thanks again for posting it. I have a dob as well but I would like to be able to take a few somewhat decent pictures of jupiter sometime in the future. I'm going to have to save up and get myself one of those webcams. I took a very rough picture of jupiter last night by holding a camera up to the eyepiece. It's pretty poor but you can make out the bands at least!

Yeah it's handy - NexImage is the one I have anyways. It connects directly into the eye-piece. Worth the buy for sure. Only thing I'd say is that Dobs aren't the best for taking shots. Jupiter, Mars and Saturn are all you'll really get with it.. Maybe Orion Nebula. After that - not much else. But still some good pics to be taken!

Yeah it's handy - NexImage is the one I have anyways. It connects directly into the eye-piece. Worth the buy for sure. Only thing I'd say is that Dobs aren't the best for taking shots. Jupiter, Mars and Saturn are all you'll really get with it.. Maybe Orion Nebula. After that - not much else. But still some good pics to be taken!

To be honest they and the moon are my main targets anyway because of the light pollution around my way. Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.

Oops - and the moon! How could I forget that haha :) No worries, if you have any questions with it or the software, let me know - there's a wee bit of a knack to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

What a fantastic sight, Jupiter and Venus so bright and so close in the west after sunset, and the good news is they will be at their closest mid month.
    http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/pictorial-guide-to-venus-jupiter-conjunction-in-february-marc

Advertisement