Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do we like the scots ?

• 26-02-2012 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

More so than wales and england, i cheer scotland on in international sport and i support there independence

Why is it that we irish like the scots ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

its like girls bringing a fat mate with them to a nightclub. With their heroin and obesity problems and their decrepid architecture they make us look good. But also share a hatrid of the english.

Braveheart tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

luckyfrank wrote: »
    More so than wales and england, i cheer scotland on in international sport and i support there independence

We like the Welsh too (if you want to generalise 'we'). We basically like anyone else who doesn't like the english.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Because when we showed them uillean pipes and they asked how to play them we said "you just blow like hell in there" and they believed us ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

1) Why? Unless youre scottish
    2) Who really gives a rats ass about their independence?
    3) Speak for yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭skeptik

Well my mother is Scottish so that's my reason.Also, as stated previously, they're not fans of the English!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Your mother is scottish is she not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

They make us feel better about ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

We've more genes in common with them, or so it's generally believed, so many feel a greater sense of kinship.

Also, Scotland's lovely and I happen to have liked every Scottish person I've known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

I dont like the welsh too arrogant i like the english better than the welsh

• Advertisement

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Your mother is scottish is she not?

no nothing other than i seem to like the scots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA6cnXFiE6I

That's why , plus my Grandmother used say I was like my Scottish Grandfather.A little gurrier from Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

The 'Scots' are originally from Ireland, the Dal Riadans went from over from the north of Ireland and displaced the Picts from the western part of modern Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

The trouble with Scotland is that there's too many scots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

We think that we share with the Scots a common Celtic ancestry; We also claim Spanish thanks to the Armada, obviously; Anglo-Norman; Cambra-Norman; Viking.

In truth your average Paddy is a mix of all these.

The galling thing is that some people pander relentlessly to which every one takes their fancy today, then changes next week when, (enter country here) reaches a further stage of (enter current sports championships here) than Ireland does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I do not know that many Scottish people but the ones I have met have a dark sense of humour which we also seem to have. That shared sense of humour is probably why. I am just guessing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Bacause they too are pasty, freckly alco's who have to endure shyte weather and have a chip on their shoulder about the sasnachs.

Sure they're a great bunch of lads altogeher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Because aye said so :)

no nothing other than i seem to like the scots

Is your mother hot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Bacause they too are pasty, freckly alco's who have to endure shyte weather and have a chip on their shoulder about the sasnachs.

Sure they're a great bunch of lads altogeher.

...they also put batter on stuff that others don't put batter on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

The trouble with Scotland is that there's too many scots!

The line is that it's full of scots...sheesh

We think that we share with the Scots a common Celtic ancestry; We also claim Spanish thanks to the Armada, obviously; Anglo-Norman; Cambra-Norman; Viking.

In truth your average Paddy is a mix of all these.

The galling thing is that some people pander relentlessly to which every one takes their fancy today, then changes next week when, (enter country here) reaches a further stage of (enter current sports championships here) than Ireland does.

yeah but it's a bit mad though a natural affinity for a foreign people, i think it's a celtic thing also, but i cant stand welsh people i think there wan/kers

Another question, do irish people have an affinity for the welsh ??

I dont think we do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Nodin wrote: »
    ...they also put batter on stuff that others don't put batter on.

True that.

Battered heroin is a definite winner!

Is your mother hot?

YO LITTLE SISTER!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

My mother is scottish and my father is presbyterian (so of scottish ancestry). Scottish people are not all that to similar to southern irish really but certainly the personilty of ulster and scottish people are alike.

Gee Bag wrote: »
    True that.

Battered heroin is a definite winner!

No, spicey heroin is the man there. Battered hash is deadly though.

YO LITTLE SISTER!!?

No, your mother. I don't have a little sister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

My ex is a scot. I don't like him

You sold your little sister?

That's terrible.

How much did yet get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

cause theyre sound!

4 of my closest friends are scottish who I met travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Taking a wild guess that this is a match inspired thread;)

Well, I like some Scot's........'cos I am one, of Irish parentage and, at this stage I have spent most of my life in Ireland! Don't like burgher's (Edinburgh) they are Ok on face value but very clannish imho, parden the pun.

Personally I feel sorry for my brother, he's married to a French girl!!:eek:

You sold your little sister?

That's terrible.

How much did yet get?

Did yet get? What does that mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Scottish people are not all that to similar to southern irish really but certainly the personilty of ulster and scottish people are alike.
    Would agree with this ^^^.

Used to live in Scotland. The only thing I really preferred about Scotland to Ireland is that they are excellent queuers.

They don't say "next please", meaning whoever thinks they should be served next to come up. They say "first please", meaning whoever was here first come up to get served. Being in a queue in Ireland is soul destroying.

YO LITTLE BROTHER !!?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

There's a moose loose aboot this hoose.

That's my contribution to this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I have never met a Scot I didn't get on well with. They're all sound :)

Did yet get? What does that mean?

Either "did ye get" misspelt or "did yeti get" misspelt. I'd bet on the former.

Either "did ye get" misspelt or "did yeti get" misspelt. I'd bet on the former.

And did you?

Would agree with this ^^^.

Used to live in Scotland. The only thing I really preferred about Scotland to Ireland is that they are excellent queuers.

They don't say "next please", meaning whoever thinks they should be served next to come up. They say "first please", meaning whoever was here first come up to get served. Being in a queue in Ireland is soul destroying

That deserves it's own thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Because they're Irish. Or were before they invaded Scotland and embarked on the genocide conquest of the picts. Look up the kingdom of dal riada sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Some of us know our history (and no it is not all about "hating" the English)

And did you?

I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alandublin33

because Scotland is just as rainy and miserable as Ireland if not more so , eireann is alba and all that Celtic stuff , plus I think Rob Roy was just as good a film as braveheart , well nearly , just thought id mention that , plus liam neeson's in it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Why do we like the scots ?
    More so than wales and england,

Because we're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fuckin' earth, the most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization.
    Some people hate the English, I don't. They're just ****.
    We, on the other hand, are colonized by ****. We can't even find a decent culture to be colonized by. We are ruled by effete arseholes.
    It's a shite state of affairs to be in, Tommy! And all the fresh air in the world won't make any fuckin' difference!

Nevore wrote: »
    Because they're Irish. Or were before they invaded Scotland and embarked on the genocide conquest of the picts. Look up the kingdom of dal riada sometime.

No, no they are not. Scottish are Scottish.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

An Afternoon in Fife by Tesco Massacre

'Here's your drink, Hamish'

'This Irn Bru tastes like pish. I did nae order a can o' pish. I'm goin home to wee Maggie and the bairn tae watch Braveheart.'

Fin.

Powerful stuff, I'm sure you'll agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Because the first even human settlers in Ireland came from Scotland. On a good day you can see N. Ireland from Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

gigino wrote: »
    Because the first even human settlers in Ireland came from Scotland.
    No, the first odd human settlers came from Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Why do we like the scots?

What's with this 'we' business OP? Since when did you and your opinion become 'we'? Do yourself a favour and maybe just speak for yourself in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The only thing I really preferred about Scotland to Ireland is that they are excellent queuers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement