Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butchers in Salthill/Knocknacarra

Options
  • 26-02-2012 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Any butchers in these areas? (not dunnes or joyces meat counters)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I use Martin Divilly in Westside. Cheap fresh chicken breasts, good beef, prepared meals.

FWIW I think the beef in the Knocknacarra Dunnes is pretty good. I regularly get the striploin or sometimes fillet when it's on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Thanks newkie but crazy roadworks in westside make me avoid the area if at all possible TBH!

Dunnes aren't bad alright. I've got some very poor cuts of meat from Joyces a few times, steaks in particular are pretty bad so I've just given up on them.

Got some lovely fillet steak in the butchers in lower salthill last week (don't know the name) thought there might be somewhere in the vacinity I didn't know about

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Loughnane's in Lower Salthill.

Nice independently owned butcher shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

Mortons in Salthill for a treat...

A little pricey for everyday use..

D

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Lapin wrote: »

+1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

+1 I've often gone here and no complaints... family run business

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

magentas wrote: »
    I've got some very poor cuts of meat from Joyces a few times, steaks in particular are pretty bad so I've just given up on them.

That's strange as I use them a lot and find their meat is very good value and is usually of a very high standard. Maybe I need to try out some other butchers too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

The butcher in Mortons i very good i find.... and despite the reputation of the shop as a whole for being expensive, the butchers is quite reasonable.

so is the fish for that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭piscesgirl1

McTigs wrote: »
    The butcher in Mortons i very good i find.... and despite the reputation of the shop as a whole for being expensive, the butchers is quite reasonable.

so is the fish for that matter

I agree, Its 1.50 for a chicken fillet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I absolutely agree with the posters who suggested Gerry Loughnane in Lower Salthill.

Gerry's lamb is THE best in Galway, I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Yep that's the one I tried last week. The man serving was a gent and nicest bit of steak I've had in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

gandroid wrote: »
    That's strange as I use them a lot and find their meat is very good value and is usually of a very high standard. Maybe I need to try out some other butchers too...

Not to disparage Joyces but I have also had a few lousy steaks from them in the past. That said, I often buy other meat there and their new prepared meals are pretty good. But if I had to pick a place for supermarket meat I'd pick Dunnes.

I think they carry Loughnane sausages at Joyces. Unless I'm mistaken due to a similar name, I've picked them up 3 times and they are just about the best sausages I've ever had. They have large fat ones that are awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

newkie wrote: »
    I think they carry Loughnane sausages at Joyces. Unless I'm mistaken due to a similar name, I've picked them up 3 times and they are just about the best sausages I've ever had. They have large fat ones that are awesome.

I think that could be Aldi/Lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

magentas wrote: »
    The man serving was a gent and nicest bit of steak I've had in a long time.

Oo-err! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

This is all i can think of when you talk about a 'local butchers'

vasey_02_400x267.jpg

Advertisement