Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer files from PC to iPad without iTunes?

• 26-02-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭

Is there any way to get files from a PC on to an iPad without using iTunes or any other software. As in, just through windows directory?
    I know it's not standard, but perhaps there's a knack to do it. (Jailbreak maybe)

Basically I'm going to be travelling with iPad and wondering if I bring a hard drive with video files etc on, will there be any way to get them transferred over when i need them.... via an Internet Cafe or something??

Anyone else here eho has gone travelling with an iPad figurd a way to deal with the small hd space?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

jimbling wrote: »
    Is there any way to get files from a PC on to an iPad without using iTunes or any other software. As in, just through windows directory?
    I know it's not standard, but perhaps there's a knack to do it. (Jailbreak maybe)

Basically I'm going to be travelling with iPad and wondering if I bring a hard drive with video files etc on, will there be any way to get them transferred over when i need them.... via an Internet Cafe or something??

Anyone else here eho has gone travelling with an iPad figurd a way to deal with the small hd space?

Use a cloud service, The Box or Dropbox for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

whiterebel wrote: »
    Use a cloud service, The Box or Dropbox for example

Unfortunately that won't be an option. I'm thinking of big files, like movies or series etc.*
    I'll be doing a lot of long bus journeys (24hr+) and would like to have some entertainment. Don't have enough space to put everything on beforehand.
    Thanks anyway....

*I'm assuming the wifi over there wont be quick enough for big downloads like that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

You can use ssh to transfer apps to an iPod from windows. Download winSCP on the pc and connect by ip address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

You need to get yourself one of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Satellite-Portable-Rechargable-Wireless/dp/B0058FQAF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330332409&sr=8-1

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-16GB-Portable-Storage-Wi-Drive/dp/B005KSYWXS/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1330332457&sr=1-1

They create a local wireless netwrok with your iPad and can transfer documents or stream music/movies over. A couple of downsides are battery life and as it uses WiFi, you can't use it on aircraft. Other than that, it would seem to fit the bill perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

tallpaul wrote: »
    You need to get yourself one of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Satellite-Portable-Rechargable-Wireless/dp/B0058FQAF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330332409&sr=8-1

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-16GB-Portable-Storage-Wi-Drive/dp/B005KSYWXS/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1330332457&sr=1-1

They create a local wireless netwrok with your iPad and can transfer documents or stream music/movies over. A couple of downsides are battery life and as it uses WiFi, you can't use it on aircraft. Other than that, it would seem to fit the bill perfectly.

Hadn't seen those before. And while they're a definite solution to the problem, they're also very expensive. Hoping for a cheap work around rather than new hardware. But I will definitely keep it in mind if nothing else turns up.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 younerjames

jimbling wrote: »
    Unfortunately that won't be an option. I'm thinking of big files, like movies or series etc, how to transfer files from iPad to computer.
    I'll be doing a lot of long bus journeys (24hr+) and would like to have some entertainment. Don't have enough space to put everything on beforehand.
    Thanks anyway....

*I'm assuming the wifi over there wont be quick enough for big downloads like that.
    There are apps that will play most any type of video file, so you don't have to convert them to your iTunes library. However, to get to the file sharing section for these apps (where you copy the files to your device), you need to use iTunes since it is in the apps section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

AV player HD has a wifi transfer option that doesn't require iTunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

DiskAid will do it. Free for students too (based on mail address) Allows you to browse the device and access the documents folders for your apps. An alternative player like CineXplayer or AVPlayer HD will have a documents folder and you can drag and drop files into it using DiskAid.

iExplorer also claims to allow the same functionality.

You do not need to be jailbroken for this, but doing the jailbreak allows further access to the root of the device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

iphonebrowser does the job for me. requires jailbreak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Ifunbox will work aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

Wifi transfer over the Aceplayer or Oplayer lite apps. Both will play any video format

Advertisement