Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ornamental Cherry Trees

Options
  • 26-02-2012 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

I have a few of these and they are pretty old and one in particular is in really good shape.

What is the oldest these can live to?

Is there anything (apart from the zero maintainance they already get) I can do to extend their life (30 or 40 years so far)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just speak kindly to them now and again, and enjoy. They should be good for a while yet. Do not be tempted to cut or trim them, Prunus doesn't always respond well to being pruned, they can get infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

trouble is I feel I do need to prune them as one of them is next to the drive and hanging right down and obstructing the cars.

If I don't prune then the branches are likely to get damaged anyway.

Is a sharp blade important for that job ?

By the way , every time I do the lawn(for the past 20 years) I manage to damage the root with the lawnmower blade and yet no harm has ever been done.

I don't suppose there is a chance I may have innoculated my tree against infections inadvertantly?

Actually the reason I am posted is that my sister , who works in a Garden Centre and I take to be fairly knowledgeable said to me that cherry trees were not supposed to be long living and that has made me fear for its prospects even though it is in the most amazing shape and feels like it is a part of the landscape...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

It's the wrong time to be pruning cherry trees anyway, aim for late summer. A sharp saw is vital as you need clean cuts.

Only cut whats absolutly needed as it may not react well anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    It's the wrong time to be pruning cherry trees anyway, aim for late summer. A sharp saw is vital as you need clean cuts.

Only cut whats absolutly needed as it may not react well anyway.

Are you sure about that O? (you don't mind if I call you O do you, I can't spell it otherwise :p) I thought it was spring? I agree about the rest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

looksee wrote: »
    Are you sure about that O? (you don't mind if I call you O do you, I can't spell it otherwise :p) I thought it was spring? I agree about the rest!

No yeah summer pruning reduces the risk of disease as air bourne diseases are at the lowest and the tree itself is at it best healing time. And as cherries are so prone to wound infection this is the best way round it. There is another reason but I can't think of it just now.

And Yeah O is grand, I can't always remember the spelling myself..bit of a stupid name really :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement