Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway for foreigners

Options
  • 26-02-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

(I hope this is the right place to post; otherwise, mods, please move this thread)

Hi, everyone!

I am 18 years old and I live in America. I'd love to visit Ireland, but don't really know where to start.
    I was planning in staying over there for a week (due to finances) and was wondering if Galway City appealed to my age group. Moreover, I'd like to know if one week is enough to get the "taste" of "living" in Ireland.

Once again, I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post such thing.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 aodh90

crfcaio wrote: »
    (I hope this is the right place to post; otherwise, mods, please move this thread)

Hi, everyone!

I am 18 years old and I live in America. I'd love to visit Ireland, but don't really know where to start.
    I was planning in staying over there for a week (due to finances) and was wondering if Galway City appealed to my age group. Moreover, I'd like to know if one week is enough to get the "taste" of "living" in Ireland.

Once again, I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post such thing.

Cheers!

You're in the right place anyway...Galway is a young town; three high level colleges in the town make the population very young, and vibrant. A week is short but if its all you can afford go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭crfcaio

Thank you!

I was thinking about the week of Thanksgiving (here in America, from November 19 to November 25), since my college won't be in session. How's Galway during that time?

Is there any website you'd recommend for me to learn more about the area, things to do, places to stay (maybe even contact students/host families over there), costs, etc?

I am already doing such research, I just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track.

Cheers again!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Is there any website you'd recommend for me to learn more about the area, things to do, places to stay (maybe even contact students/host families over there), costs, etc?

www.galwayadvertiser.ie is the most popular local newspaper

www.galwaynews.ie is a local news site with live streaming of a local middle-of-the-road radio station

www.galwaytransport.info is an independent overview of public transport

www.daft.ie is an all-Ireland accommodation website which is a true indicator of property rental prices

www.galway.net is a local info site

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

aodh90 wrote: »
    You're in the right place anyway...Galway is a young town; TWO high level colleges in the town make the population very young, and vibrant. A week is short but if its all you can afford go for it!
    FYP.

OP, have a look on tripadvisor in the Galway section too, you might get some people who done a similar trip too you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I was thinking about the week of Thanksgiving (here in America, from November 19 to November 25), since my college won't be in session. How's Galway during that time?

Wet, bring a raincoat! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

three high level colleges in the town
    Sorry for going off-topic but what are the three? NUIG, GMIT and?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mdo

Galway is a great place to start. Our first visit was on Valentine's Day 2008....no tourists, no crowds and the locals welcomed us like family. Our next trip to Ireland we took our son (21) and daughter (26) to Galway during the Arts Festival in July... They still call it there dream vacation and enjoyed Galway better better than Donegal, Dublin, or Limerick... It is a young town.... It is a great choice for your first visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Moreover, I'd like to know if one week is enough to get the "taste" of "living" in Ireland.

No, it isn't. If you're going to go to the expense of travelling the whole way over just to go to Ireland (which is the impression I get from your asking about the dates) then I would recommend staying an extra week at least. An extra week in Galway would be relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of your flights.
    Also, I would caution against coming at that time of year. It will be wet and cold and dark early, so unless you're planning on doing the Irish thing of spending your week in a pub, then you'd wouldn't get the maximum benefit from it. Why not come in the summer when the weather may be decent and the days are a decent length? Galway City on a decent summer's day is to be recommended, but also longer days and decent weather would afford you the opportunity to travel out to the countryside and go for a stroll etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Yea I agree with the other posters that Galway is a very young town and vibrant! Easy to settle into and quite friendly.

Although that said it is very alcohol fuelled and I left in my early thirties as there are not a lot of options for 30/40 somethings there! But hey that ain't your worry! :)

A week in Galway will give you a decent insight into Galway life not Irish life in general! Ireland differs greatly north, south, east and west! Do make day trips to Connemara and The Burren regions while your there. Very beautiful! Enjoy and Fáilte!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Malice wrote: »
    three high level colleges in the town
    Sorry for going off-topic but what are the three? NUIG, GMIT and?

GTI

JustMary wrote: »
    GTI
    Haha, high level college, I beg to differ.

Ficheall wrote: »
    No, it isn't. If you're going to go to the expense of travelling the whole way over just to go to Ireland (which is the impression I get from your asking about the dates) then I would recommend staying an extra week at least. An extra week in Galway would be relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of your flights.
    Also, I would caution against coming at that time of year. It will be wet and cold and dark early, so unless you're planning on doing the Irish thing of spending your week in a pub, then you'd wouldn't get the maximum benefit from it. Why not come in the summer when the weather may be decent and the days are a decent length? Galway City on a decent summer's day is to be recommended, but also longer days and decent weather would afford you the opportunity to travel out to the countryside and go for a stroll etc.

The problem is that tickets during the summer are more expensive. :(
    I guess things over there are more expensive too, no? Inns and stuff.

Thanks everyone for your responses!
    I don't know if I'd be going too far, but... how's a typical person from Galway City (how do you call it? A "Galwayan"?? sorry if "m waay too off :x)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

how's a typical person from Galway City (how do you call it? A "Galwayan"?? sorry if "m waay too off :x)
    Close enough, I believe it's Galwegian.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Malice wrote: »
    Close enough, I believe it's Galwegian.

That's right and tribesmen/tribeswomen is often used in reference to teams from/representing Galway.

This is a reference to the nickname "city of the tribes" - a reference to the dominance of the city by 14 families in medieval times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 aodh90

Haha, high level college, I beg to differ.

hahaha you're such a loser
    who gets caught up on such things
    my humble apologies for having confused GTI with GMIT and NUIG sir
    please don't continue your day in a most gratuitous and pompous way

hahaha you're such a loser
    who gets caught up on such things
    my humble apologies for having confused GTI with GMIT and NUIG sir
    please don't continue your day in a most gratuitous and pompous way
    Christ, pmt day is it. You made an error. Malice questioned your post, I simply fixed it for you. As for the rest of your post, well its not really worth lowering myself to that level. Apology accepted by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back to the topic on trying to make our guest feel welcome :)

Sure, a week will give you a taste of Irish life but it is a bit on the short side.
    Plan your days and evenings well and you should be able to see a lot of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Not to generalize you OP but any American tourist I've ever talked to have spoken very highly of Connemara. It's a perfect spot for tourists too. Lovely scenery, nice locals and the very heart of Irish culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Alanerin218

From one American to another.... a week isn't enough. I would wait a couple months till you have more money and stay two weeks. With the travel time, you would really only get 3 days in Ireland. I live here and its a great city, full of young people!

From one American to another.... a week isn't enough. I would wait a couple months till you have more money and stay two weeks. With the travel time, you would really only get 3 days in Ireland. I live here and its a great city, full of young people!

Cheers, I was born in America but raised somewhere else (:

My concern is over the costs during the summer... On the other hand, I'd have more time to plan and save enough money to spend more than a week over there

I was wondering if there was any way I could contact students going to college/living there. It would make things way easier if I met someone before coming (:
    (That's probably asking too much, I guess I'll start my planning now)

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Or you could get involved in the American Football scene here in Galway.

The Galway Warriors.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/300255883358234/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I was wondering if there was any way I could contact students going to college/living there. It would make things way easier if I met someone before coming (:
    (That's probably asking too much, I guess I'll start my planning now)

NUI Galway have a large international student community, you could do worse than checking out the website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

You won't regret coming to Galway, except that you didn't spend enough time here. I speak as a Dubliner who loves his home town.

Advertisement