Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tesco dog food

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

'Chicken by-products include head, feet, entrails, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, liver, stomach, bones, blood, intestines, and any other part of the carcass not fit for human consumption," writes Henry Pasternak in Healing Animals with Nature's Cures.'

aren't you being a bit anthropomorphic - the above is exactly what you'd expect a carnivore to eat.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

planetX wrote: »
    'Chicken by-products include head, feet, entrails, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, liver, stomach, bones, blood, intestines, and any other part of the carcass not fit for human consumption," writes Henry Pasternak in Healing Animals with Nature's Cures.'

aren't you being a bit anthropomorphic - the above is exactly what you'd expect a carnivore to eat.

But again, you're not going to get all of that in one bag. You might get a bag of dog food with only feet and beak in it. Or brain, and that's it. You have no way of insuring that what your pet is getting is actually doing them any good. It wouldn't be so bad if it was guaranteed that your dog is getting all of the above, but it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Tbh PlanetX it's not even the meat byproducts that bother me as much it's all the chemicals that they add to the food....I try to avoid them myself and I just do the same for my dogs! I know they digest it much easier too, When I used to feed them the other stuff i would 8 times out of 10 have to clean up mess in my kitchen......So its just easier for me in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭nc6000

So what would be considered then to be the best reasonably priced dry dog food which is easily available?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

I just calculated the food I feed mine cost €2.81 per week per dog which I think is great value!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Shanao wrote: »
    While dogs may be living longer, the rate of cancers, liver disease, diabetes, pancreatitis, heart disease and skeletal problems are most definitely on the increase and every one of these is linked with the wrong diet being fed. Osteosarcoma and Lymphoma have become increasingly commonplace in dogs in the past few years. Just look at humans, why do the doctors reccommend a diet as natural as possible when a patient has cancer? Because so many foods, both ours and our pets have known carcinogens in them.

You say that the increase in these diseases in dogs is linked to the wrong diet. Again where is the proof?

As for humans with cancer, the diet recommended has nothing to do with known carcinogens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

i think, with posts like this there are a lot of food snobs around, me included. but at the end of the day, if the day came, in which it was a case of either changing to a supermarket brand or to rehome my dogs, i know what i would choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I feed my dog Premiere High 5 from Maxi Zoo! It's €39.99 for 15kg and I find the bag lasts me for 6 weeks. My dog seems to love it! I used to buy supermarket brands but it was just too expensive. This food is cheaper and there are less sugars and stuff in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Mo60 wrote: »
    Only food mixed in is leftover cooked potato skins.

Potato Skins can be toxic for dogs! Poisonous alkaloids (Solanum) are present in green sprouts and potato skins

gregers85 wrote: »
    Potato Skins can be toxic for dogs! Poisonous alkaloids (Solanum) are present in green sprouts and potato skins

I have been doing this for 25+ years with no ill effects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

I have been doing this for 25+ years with no ill effects.

That you know of.

That you know of.

???

I think I know my dogs well enough to know whether something is making them unwell or doing them harm. After all, my eldest dog has been on this diet for 17 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Why would you feed your dog something that you know is bad for them and could be harmful to them??:confused:

???

I think I know my dogs well enough to know whether something is making them unwell or doing them harm. After all, my eldest dog has been on this diet for 17 years.

Prove it.

My grandad smoked 40 a day, drank like a fish and lived to be 80. Would you advocate this way of life to your kids?
    Your anecdote about your dog means nothing. you clearly aren't willing to take on board anything anyone has tried to say to you in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I think that the problem with saying that your dog is 'fine' on whatever foods is that you can't know that they're fine unless you change their diet and see if there's any change. We all know of people that have been 'fine' all their lives until they, for example, give up milk or bread and suddenly realise that they weren't 'fine', they just never realised that they were sensitive to lactose or gluten.

The same goes for supermarket brand foods. Yes, your dog is fine; they're not keeling over or vomiting all the time, but other foods would probably be better for them in the long run. I could live on tins of beans and be 'fine' i.e. not noticably ill (I know one girl who lived entirely on mashed potatoes, peas, and coke for the first 16 years of her life and was 'fine'), but you can't argue that a proper, well balanced, diet wouldn't be much better.

andreac wrote: »
    Why would you feed your dog something that you know is bad for them and could be harmful to them??:confused:

As I said I have been feeding this for 25+ years and this is the 1st time I have heard it is bad for them.

Perhaps you could prove in what way it is bad.

kylith wrote: »
    I think that the problem with saying that your dog is 'fine' on whatever foods is that you can't know that they're fine unless you change their diet and see if there's any change. We all know of people that have been 'fine' all their lives until they, for example, give up milk or bread and suddenly realise that they weren't 'fine', they just never realised that they were sensitive to lactose or gluten.

The same goes for supermarket brand foods. Yes, your dog is fine; they're not keeling over or vomiting all the time, but other foods would probably be better for them in the long run. I could live on tins of beans and be 'fine' i.e. not noticably ill (I know one girl who lived entirely on mashed potatoes, peas, and coke for the first 16 years of her life and was 'fine'), but you can't argue that a proper, well balanced, diet wouldn't be much better.

I have tried so called premium food in the past and noticed no difference. As I have said previously all my animals are all healthy for their age, and my vet has verified this on many occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

As I said I have been feeding this for 25+ years and this is the 1st time I have heard it is bad for them.

As I said in my Original post they contain harmful alkaloids called Solanum:

poisoning is primarily displayed by gastrointestinal and neurological disorders. Symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach cramps, burning of the throat, cardiac dysrhythmia, headache and dizziness. In more severe cases, hallucinations, loss of sensation, paralysis, fever, jaundice, dilated pupils, hypothermia and death have been reported. In large quantities, poisoning can cause death

If you google it You will find plenty of proof as to why they are no good for your dog!!

You'll find the proof you so greatly desire through the power of google.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Well cooked is very different than Raw.

You'll find the proof you so greatly desire through the power of google.

I did google - found that cooked potato skins are not harmful to dogs.

That clears that up then.

andreac wrote: »
    Well cooked is very different than Raw.

I never said raw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I sound like an advert because I have been using pedigree chum tins & then dry complete since I was a child. All of my dogs have been wonderfully healthy & long lived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I know you never said the skins were raw but you didnt say cooked either and as many people dont know how harmful they can be, the posters here were only looking out for the welfare of your dog :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Only food mixed in is leftover cooked potato skins.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Ah I didnt see that part, I only read people advising about the skins.. Why did everyone jump to the conclusion they were raw and harmful when you clearly said cooked?! Confusing! We used to feed my dog Pal dog food and pedigree dry as well as whatever we had leftover from the dinner and she was never overweight or showed ill effects. Only time she was at the vet was to get neutered and she never once had tummy problems. She lived to be 15 years old, I suppose dogs just get used to what they are given!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Tetulla

Many thanks for all the information i really appreciate

Advertisement