Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis or Blur?

Options
  • 26-02-2012 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭

After watching the Brit Awards the other night, myself and a few other friends who are musicians and just general music lovers got into a bit of a debate over Oasis vs Blur.

I myself am a huge Blur fan, Graham Coxon was possibly the biggest guitar idol for me when I started playing. Their music varies so much and it's just so damn infectious and well written.

As for Oasis, I absolutely despise both Gallaghers, and in my opinion, every single song uses the same structure, and the same boring chord progressions.

What's your views?

Oasis or Blur? 77 votes

Oasis
    0% 0 votes
    Blur
    57% 44 votes
    Neither
    42% 33 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

stetyrrell wrote: »
    What's your views?

This thread is about 20 years too late

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

BaZmO* wrote: »
    What's your views?

This thread is about 20 years too late

Hardly, they're both still popular bands, even despite the fact Oasis are no longer together.

If you don't want to give an answer don't. This is just out of my own curiosity and to settle an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

At the time I preffered Oasis, but I was only 15 or so, looking back, Blur were a far superior band.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hardly, they're both still popular bands, even despite the fact Oasis are no longer together.

If you don't want to give an answer don't. This is just out of my own curiosity and to settle an argument.

Lighten up kiddo.

Blur were more innovative while Oasis wrote better songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Blur. A million times Blur in every respect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

The Auteurs

Sorry what was the question again?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I voted for Oasis for the reason given by BaZmO*:
    Oasis wrote better songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Noel Gallagher was the better songwriter.

Graham Coxon was the better guitarist.

In short the vast majority of music I listen to is for its lyrical sentiment so Oasis do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Oasis

Even though Blur have made more interesting and varied music, I still prefer Oasis. None of Blur's albums can come close to matching Definitely Maybe or (What's The Story) Morning Glory?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭windingo

Oasis just because I've heard more of Oasis, havn't really heard much Blur

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

BLUR. this isnt (or shouldnt) be close. they always reinvent themselves. they are better musicians. damon albarn is one of the greatest songwriters ever. they are more interesting and are a pretty random band. you cant pigeonhole them. the more time that passes, the more they are appreciated and come in for critical acclaim. in 50 years they will be looked back at very fondly, as a very influential and progressive band, who always move forward and try new things. the longer they are around, the better they get.

the same cannot be said for oasis. they gave us the best of what they had, which in its own right was brilliant. if they reformed they have nothing new to contribute to music, except much of the same, as their latter work suggests. due to the nature in who they are, blur will always have something new and unique to offer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,385 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Oasis for so many reasons.

Better songwriting, the swagger, the atmosphere around them. Call it hype or whatever but back in the day there was a mania about Oasis that I haven't really seen around any other band (obviously the Beatles but that was long before my time). Plus Liam was a great frontman. Great live shows too, even though very little actually happened on stage but crowds really got into. I've seen Blur once and promised that I would never pay to see them again after a set that lasted an hour. Ridiculous really for a band that was on its fifth album at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Both these bands are pure genius. There is nothing in today's chart that comes close to songs such as Whatever, Cigarettes And Alcohol, Country House, Charmless Man. I could name many more classics from both bands. Today's music is so bad. What happened to the good old guitar solo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Both these bands are pure genius. There is nothing in today's chart that comes close to songs such as Whatever, Cigarettes And Alcohol, Country House, Charmless Man. I could name many more classics from both bands. Today's music is so bad. What happened to the good old guitar solo?
    Lol what current music have you heard? I never knew guitar solos were the only indication of artistic compositional quality.

I think Blur's self-titled is pretty good, the rest of their stuff is just ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I like both bands but Oasis by far for all the reasons already mentioned. It still makes me crack up seeing Damien Albarn moan about how they bullied him back then in interviews.

Nothing to do with his music but he comes off absolutely dreadfully in the documentary Live Forever aswell when asked about back in those days and the whole battle for #1 single race thing, incredibly underconfident and awkward in the interviews (great documentary).

Great songwriter, terrible interviewee.

Anyway yea, Oasis.
    karaokeman wrote: »
    listen to is for its lyrical sentiment so Oasis do it for me.

Right. Oasis's lyrics are complete nonsense, Noel himself admits they mean nothing, there's nothing there. Supersonic is about an overweight rottweiler. Sentimental.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

There's loads of great music still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Blur, but I voted for all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

nm wrote: »
    Right. Oasis's lyrics are complete nonsense, Noel himself admits they mean nothing, there's nothing there. Supersonic is about an overweight rottweiler. Sentimental.

They mean nothing to him.

Noel did say he had no clue what most of his songs meant because he was on illegal substances when he wrote them, but he also said in the press conference that he's proud of what they mean to other people.

My favourite songwriters don't write songs about themselves or their own lives. Its much better if the listener has their own interpretation of the song, that's where Noel's songs lie with Oasis fans who relate to them.

His songs may or not have significance to you, but they do to thousands more people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

They absolutely do have significance, great significance, but it is certainly not for the depth or sentimentality of their lyrics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Oasis for me.
    nm wrote: »
    They absolutely do have significance, great significance, but it is certainly not for the depth or sentimentality of their lyrics.

You've just spun your own words.
    Talk Tonight.
    Champagne Supernova.
    Live Forever.
    Stop Crying Your Heart Out.
    Whatever.

Succinct. Lyrically and musically. Understated melodrama in each song with a touch of youthful bravado, love and lust and a questioning attitude. Simple, brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Oasis for me.

Talk Tonight.
    Champagne Supernova.
    Live Forever.
    Whatever.

Succinct. Lyrically and musically. Understated melodrama in each song with a touch of youthful bravado, love and lust and a questioning attitude. Simple, brilliant.

Let's not forget 'Gas Panic' one of the greatest drug songs ever written.

Put both bands back-catalogues side by side and there is only 1 winner. Oasis

I have come to like blur alot more the last couple of years but still no Oasis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit, It feels like Ive gotten into the Hot Tub Time Machine with this thread.
    Oasis for me every time, along with Cast, Pulp, Blur, Seahorses,
    Dave fanning's show was the only program on 2fm playing Oasis, around 93-94 afaik he had the world premiere for a few songs.
    But as somebody else said there was great hype those days when it came to music, nowadays UHGGG less said the better....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Oasis for me.

Talk Tonight.
    Champagne Supernova.
    Live Forever.
    Whatever.

Dont forget that the b-sides:

. "Acquiesce" "Some Might Say"/"Roll with It" 4:24
    2. "Underneath the Sky" "Don't Look Back in Anger" 3:21
    3. "Talk Tonight" "Some Might Say"/"Wonderwall" 4:21
    4. "Going Nowhere" "Stand by Me" 4:39
    5. "Fade Away" "Cigarettes & Alcohol"/"Whatever" 4:13
    6. "The Swamp Song" "Wonderwall" 4:19
    7. "I Am the Walrus" (live) John Lennon, Paul McCartney "Cigarettes & Alcohol" 6:25
    8. "Listen Up" "Cigarettes & Alcohol"/"Whatever" 6:21
    9. "Rockin' Chair" Gallagher, Chris Griffiths "Roll with It"/"Morning Glory"/"Wonderwall" 4:35
    10. "Half the World Away" "Whatever" 4:21
    11. "(It's Good) To Be Free" "Whatever" 4:18
    12. "Stay Young" "D'You Know What I Mean?" 5:05
    13. "Headshrinker" "Some Might Say"/"Roll with It" 4:38
    14. "The Masterplan"

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Temaz wrote: »
    Let's not forget 'Gas Panic' one of the greatest drug songs ever written.

Liam singing "And when you hear me tap on your window, Yer better get on yer knees and pray". Terrifying...Even better live too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

this was discussed in father Ted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Liam singing "And when you hear me tap on your window, Yer better get on yer knees and pray". Terrifying...Even better live too.

Is it about the local priest coming around to take your confession?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Always a beast when played live, Yokohama gig in 2000 was a chilling version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-LQN36XEic

• Advertisement

Collie D wrote: »
    Oasis for so many reasons.

Better songwriting, the swagger, the atmosphere around them. Call it hype or whatever but back in the day there was a mania about Oasis that I haven't really seen around any other band (obviously the Beatles but that was long before my time). Plus Liam was a great frontman. Great live shows too, even though very little actually happened on stage but crowds really got into. I've seen Blur once and promised that I would never pay to see them again after a set that lasted an hour. Ridiculous really for a band that was on its fifth album at the time.

+1

Oasis for me too, I did like Blur but they didn't have nearly as many anthems as Oasis had.

Advertisement