Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leg Ulcer query

Options
  • 26-02-2012 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

I think this is the place for putting this thread anyway my mother in her late 70's living on her own just developed a venous ulcer inside leg near ankle the doctor has dressed it and I have given her as much info as I can through google ie not walking much on it, keeping it elevated and changing the dressing regulary. I dont really know much about them and I thought it was from a fall she had a couple of mths ago but seemingly can be common in the elderly and with a varicose vein history.
    She is a little forgetful so I get bits of info from her as to what the doctor says I want to try and help her say if there is any natural things she could take to heal the wound I saw that Manuka honey is supposed to be good she is not overweight, a smoker or diabetic. The ulcer is quite red and hot and about the size of a 20c, and open wound and is sore for her to walk on. I made another appt for her to go back to the Dr. tomorrow to follow up on it anyone know how long approx they can last for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

miss choc wrote: »
    I think this is the place for putting this thread anyway my mother in her late 70's living on her own just developed a venous ulcer inside leg near ankle the doctor has dressed it and I have given her as much info as I can through google ie not walking much on it, keeping it elevated and changing the dressing regulary. I dont really know much about them and I thought it was from a fall she had a couple of mths ago but seemingly can be common in the elderly and with a varicose vein history.
    She is a little forgetful so I get bits of info from her as to what the doctor says I want to try and help her say if there is any natural things she could take to heal the wound I saw that Manuka honey is supposed to be good she is not overweight, a smoker or diabetic. The ulcer is quite red and hot and about the size of a 20c, and open wound and is sore for her to walk on. I made another appt for her to go back to the Dr. tomorrow to follow up on it anyone know how long approx they can last for?

Have you got a local health clinic? Get on to them and see if a district nurse can come out and take a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

The doctor today checked it out today and gave her another course of Penicillian hopefully will clear it up. I read an article about Manuka honey being a good antibacterial and lots of people with ulcers use it. Tried googling to see if it can be taken with her antibiotics as well as the other tablets she is on also would it do the trick taking it in tablet form. I think you apply it to the wound I might ask the doctor if she could use it if its not clearing up in a few weeks

Leg ulcers can take a while to clear up - I'm speaking from experience. Go with what the doctor says imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Gingermagic

Manuka Honey the 20+ one is excellent in treating ulcers.....you apply to the wound and cover with a dressing change twice a day untill you start to see an improvement then change daily. If she is taking antibiotics try giving her some Acido Phillus also, you can get this in the Actimel and Yakult drinks....it will help raise the good bacteria in the tummy as antibiotics are a kill all bacteria and it can leave you with an very upset tummy.....I hope she improves soon.....Please note this is not medical advice and should accompany modern medicine not replace it....:D

Thanks for that will tell her about taking the yoghurt drinks I think she said she gets dressings now in the chemist that are impregnated with the Manuka honey in them which is good I guess when the wound has closed up and is better she could buy some of the honey and put it on herself to keep it at bay

• Advertisement

OP - seek proper medical advice. Bring her to a GP.

She has gone twice to her doctor hence the course of antibiotics that she got over a week ago an ulcer is defo one thing you wont get rid of by yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Gingermagic

the other thing that is becoming popular for people with leg ulcers is a hyperbaric chamber....I have some scottish friends whose mum had a leg ulcer and it cleared up. I know it cost her £25 a session. Again I don't say this as an alternative to any medication, but to work alongside...upside, it gave her great energy too.....

If you are interested in the herbal side of treatment here is an easy gentle way of helping....Again Like others have said. This is not medical advice....just helpful (depending on it efficency)(sorry for bad spelling lol)

When cleaning use chammomile tea...(cold) you can buy the teabags at good supermarket or holland & Barrat store...organic preferably....leave the teabag in water that has been boiled and leave it to go cold....Cotton pads dipped in the tea and use them to clean the wound....Chammomile is great for treating skin inflammation and infection. Again to be used alongside the antibiotics....This is just to assist healing....

I will be up to see her next week so will be able to see the ulcer first time I want her first to take her medication and do the dressings but will buy some yoghurt drinks for her and maybe down the line she could put the camomile/mankuna on it herself when it has healed. Thanks for the advice I was worried last week about it as it was hurting her and was hot and swollen she says with the dressings/pennicillin that has helped a lot. And here was me thinking of booking a holiday for her birthday for May think I might leave it till later on in the year I heard ulcers and take a while to clear up better to be safe than sorry

Advertisement