Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bringing a dog from ireland to usa

Options
  • 26-02-2012 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

greetings all

im looking for information regarding bringing a dog from ireland to live in the usa

ive been googling and found some sites tellin me that ill need up to date vacinations a pet passport a microchip a proper carrying crate big enough for the dog to stand up and turn around in and enough water for the journey, also it says the dog may need to be in a quaranteen facility for up to 6 months?

i cant seem to find any official links or information on what exactly is needed or how to start the process..

id really appreciate if anyone that has done this recently could tell me how it was for the dog and what was involved cost wise..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

We moved over last August and brought our dog with us.Your dog will need all the shots including a rabbies shot from your vet(they will know)as well as being micro chipped,and pet passport(Do this as soon as possible).The dog box has to be an iaa approved one to go on the plane.We brought ours from a pet shop in stillorgen and the lady knows her stuff about the right dog box to get and has been doing it for over twenty years( they have wheels and trays for water etc )we payed about €175.Your dog does not need to go into quantine as Ireland is seen as a rabbies free country. You will need to get a vets letter 7 days before you travel to say the dog is healthy and fit.We booked with aer lingus and we booked the dog 2 weeks before traveling (on the aer lingus website) and it cost us €160 (they book it as extra baggage).From handing him over in Dublin till we got him in Orlando he had been in his box 14hrs.They load the dog on last and get him off first when the plane lands.They also check he has water etc and we even gave him a few doggie treats and no one said anything.You may also want to contact the state vet where you will be going.I sent an email and they told me what i need to get done to bring him in Igave the vet in Dublin a copy).I just printed out the email to show if anyone started asking questions at the airport.Although no one did.If i can help you with any questions fire away,its a stressful time bringing a pet over.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

thank you very much for the replt palmy, very informative and alot less cheaper then i thought,i was worrying it might cost thousands..

can you give me any info on the time process and cost involved in gettin a pet passport and where i can go to start

also would i need a visa to bring the dog with me?im only technically goin for a 3 month stay

I think the rabbies shot needs to be atleast 4 months before you go.All the rest of the injections etc are easy enough and the pet passport is quick enough (a few weeks i think)all this will set you back probably €500.We didnt need any visa for our dog at all,the the pet passport and all the documents showing the dog had his injections and letter fit to fly was enough.If you going for a short time though and plan on coming back to Ireland your dog will need to go into quantine for between 3-6mths at your cost (i think its €28 a day although i could be wrong)as the U.S is considered a rabbies country.You are better to get your paper work ready as soon as possilble and your dog to the vet.If you are flying direct with Aer Lingus you wont have a problem but if you need to get an internal flight to your destination you might have a problem as most carriers wont let you on with your dog.I cant answer your question regarding your visa situation as we have green cards.hope this helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭happyclapper

So did you bring him over. we are about to go through this but Im afraid to bring him once winter comes because I dont want him to be cold. Im going to california.. Any help welcome
    CyberJuice wrote: »
    greetings all

im looking for information regarding bringing a dog from ireland to live in the usa

ive been googling and found some sites tellin me that ill need up to date vacinations a pet passport a microchip a proper carrying crate big enough for the dog to stand up and turn around in and enough water for the journey, also it says the dog may need to be in a quaranteen facility for up to 6 months?

i cant seem to find any official links or information on what exactly is needed or how to start the process..

id really appreciate if anyone that has done this recently could tell me how it was for the dog and what was involved cost wise..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

So did you bring him over. we are about to go through this but Im afraid to bring him once winter comes because I dont want him to be cold. Im going to california.. Any help welcome

You're moving to a cold part of California and you're afraid your dog will be cold?

Or did you mean the cold in the aeroplane? Over a certain altitude (26k ft?) temperature is constant (irrespective of season) and well below freezing so animals are kept in a heated section of the cargo area.

Not to worry. It cant be a pleasant experience for them, I've done it with 2 dogs and a cat, but they're not hurt or uncomfortable (get a big enough crate).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭happyclapper

lol! Sorry I meant flying!

Thanks for the reply though!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭lisij

Ok guys, bringing the dead thread up!!
    We plan to move in us in about 2 months time, and i would want to bring my dog with me, we be flying via Aerlingus, does anyone know what are the proper instructios at the moment? And what would that cost approx?
    Aerlingus shows a fee of 160eur, i assume i need to get a crate as no live animal available in the cabin. What about vaccine? It seems i can get proper information on that, ireland is free of rabies no need for vaccine, but US require a vet confirmation of this vaccine.. can anyone holding this information assist me please? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

You need to have all vaccines up to date, including getting a rabies vaccine for the dog. It's required to bring him/her into the US along with a letter from the vet within 7 days of travel to state they're fit for travel.
    Get your pet passport sorted with your local vet, get all vaccines, a crate that meets regulations and then the letter. Then it's 160Euro to bring him on the flight.

You need to have all vaccines up to date, including getting a rabies vaccine for the dog. It's required to bring him/her into the US along with a letter from the vet within 7 days of travel to state they're fit for travel.
    Get your pet passport sorted with your local vet, get all vaccines, a crate that meets regulations and then the letter. Then it's 160Euro to bring him on the flight.
    Would you recon my local vet would know all this requirments? Well i mean do they have to know this? Would you know what aprox price are we talking about? Its a small breed dog

I wouldnt rely on your local vet unless they have specific experience in moving pets to the usa. Call Aer Lingus and ask them, they should have all the info you need. When we did it it was through Heathrow. We had to go to a specific vets near the airport and they took care of delivering them to the airline plus double checking paperwork etc.

• Advertisement

lisij wrote: »
    Would you recon my local vet would know all this requirments? Well i mean do they have to know this? Would you know what aprox price are we talking about? Its a small breed dog

You just need to get standard vaccines up to date and then the rabies one as well.
    The crate can be got in most pet shops. They have to be big enough for the dog to stand up in and turn around.
    This is the kind you need.
    http://www.petworlddirect.ie/p/petmode-aviation-crate/p187036942
    Include food for the dog when travelling and the airline should provide the stickers needed and water.
    Cost depends on your vet and what size crate you need.

You should phone Aer lingus because you need to make a reservation for the dog. Space is limited and not guaranteed.
    There's details on their website.

does anyone know what are the proper instructios at the moment?

http://www.aerlinguscargo.com/services/pets/pet-care

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

You don't have to fly with Aer lingus.

We shipped out two cats in late 2014. We used a pet shipping company.

I think it was about 1,000 all in.

We went to our local vet (Anicare in Clontarf) got the shots (rabies was the important one)and paperwork. Dropped the cats to the cargo area of Dublin airport, they got put in approved cat carriers (which we got to keep) and went on their way. Arrived in LAX 15 hours later and the wife picked them up. No grief, no hassle no piles of paperwork.

Just to clarify, I used American Airlines not Aer Lingus.
    The price was the same and the rules were the same. It's really not as much hassle as you think.
    Two visits to the vet, one pet passport application, one crate and one phone call to the airline.

Just to clarify, I used American Airlines not Aer Lingus.
    The price was the same and the rules were the same. It's really not as much hassle as you think.
    Two visits to the vet, one pet passport application, one crate and one phone call to the airline.

Thanx, yes i think it shouldnt be much of a problem, but you know, its part of your family and its not as easy as with humans!
    Bringing my dog to the vet 2morow and it appears the nurse there knows whats are the requirments for travel.
    Will update with the vaccinations cost if some one ever needs them in the future

Thanx, yes i think it shouldnt be much of a problem, but you know, its part of your family and its not as easy as with humans!
    Bringing my dog to the vet 2morow and it appears the nurse there knows whats are the requirments for travel.
    Will update with the vaccinations cost if some one ever needs them in the future

The Pilot was very cool on our flight and made a special announcement that our dog who he named was onboard the flight moving with his family to Florida. Thought that was a pretty nice gesture and certainly made my son who was 3 at the time feel more comfortable that his brother was onboard😄

Advertisement