Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I Don't Want To Be Rude, But....

• 26-02-2012 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

I know this sounds bad, but I'm not trying to troll (I swear). I just don't know where else to ask this, as bad as it sounds.

I've noticed a lot of people walking with a limp in Dublin, including a fairly high percentage of my coworkers (at least compared to what I'm used to seeing in other countries).

I'm afraid that asking them directly would seem rude or insensitive or whatever; but I'm really curious - is there a disease or something that is more common in Ireland than in other places that explain this?

Obviously, yes, there are people with limps all over the world; but it really seems like a higher rate that what I'm used to. Am I simply crazy - or is there an explanation for this?

(Again, I really don't mean any offence).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Yeah, it's the Dublin Gimp Syndrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

"Got a euro for a hostel bud" type limp are we talking about here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

They do it to keep their disability allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Junior Jacon Jeese Jurger

Imagine what the limps are like in irish prisons.

In before mention of disability allow.....

Dammit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 J.Abruzzi

They all just like limp bizkit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The fluoride in the water must be damaging the spinal cord...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Ive a limp if my backs hurting, I got sciatica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Its all the Liams, and Eileens of the city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

Seeing as we cant trust the banks anymore, everyone is keeping their money in their shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

It's not a limp, it's a swagger!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

Its all to do with the new water filtration system. there's this strange bug going round that making one leg minutely bigger then the other. Now its only like half a centre meter or so but its enough to trough you slightly off. Be kind dude its not something to bring up with the person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Robdude wrote: »
    I know this sounds bad, but I'm not trying to troll (I swear). I just don't know where else to ask this, as bad as it sounds.

I've noticed a lot of people walking with a limp in Dublin, including a fairly high percentage of my coworkers (at least compared to what I'm used to seeing in other countries).

I'm afraid that asking them directly would seem rude or insensitive or whatever; but I'm really curious - is there a disease or something that is more common in Ireland than in other places that explain this?

Obviously, yes, there are people with limps all over the world; but it really seems like a higher rate that what I'm used to. Am I simply crazy - or is there an explanation for this?

MS is actually fairly common here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Are these Northside or Southside limps ? female or male ? be more specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

carrying the burden of the rest of the country on our shoulders

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Higher population (and visitor) density so more chance of seeing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Traditionally the Irish are well hung and have to strap it down one leg.If your a hot girl you may be causing the limps and if your a guy you may be causing a different kind of limp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

We've been twined with Lourdes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

mattjack wrote: »
    Are these Northside or Southside limps ? female or male ? be more specific.

It seems like the majority have been male.

I don't know what northside/southside limps are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It seems like the majority have been male.

Ah. That'd be the gays then Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

They're practising for the annual three legged race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Confirmation bias old chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

If you're conscious of different types of gait, then you are more likely to spot the abnormalities every day because you're on the look out for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Maybe they have sore feet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Ucd is full of people on crutches!!! Its seems to be some sort of conspiracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Traditionally the Irish are well hung and have to strap it down one leg.If your a hot girl you may be causing the limps and if your a guy you may be causing a different kind of limp

It's called S.I.D.S. or Small Irish Dick Syndrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Ucd is full of people on crutches!!! Its seems to be some sort of conspiracy.

And suitcases!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Lol.

It's only a temporary thing...it's called being drunk, after that comes the hangover which can last anything between 1-3 days depending. These limps normally subside by Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

The existence of confirmation bias doesn't preclude a hypothesis from being true.

EDIT: To clarify, that also doesn't imply that it is true. I'm just saying; the existence of confirmation bias is a silly reason to *not* look for information to support a hypothesis. Sure - you might think there are more red cars because you actively look for them....but it might also be that there are more red cars on the road because sales data shows that more red cars are purchased in Ireland than any other car.

I don't have an opinion either way on whether or not Ireland has more people with a limp than the US - but my own anecdotal experience seems to suggest that it might. So I decided to ask. I'm more than willing to accept that my limited experience is non-representative of Ireland as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

90% of the Irish population are inbred. FACT!!

The existence of confirmation bias doesn't preclude a hypothesis from being true.

True but you need more than just personal observation to give a hypothesis any weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

A possible theory off the top of my head is that with a damper climate, people with previous injuries may be more likely to limp. I notice that a previously damaged ankle hurts less in colder, dryer climates than it does here. That said, I don't think I walk with a limp (but have never watched myself walking).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I've a degenerative condition in my back.. This often causes me to limp, sometimes quite badly.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

can't say it's something I've noticed? Anyone else no? just the OP then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Dublin people are genetically inferior individuals

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DublinLimpSyndrome

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

I'm making my confirmation next Tuesday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Seaneh wrote: »
    One in 19 here is a carrier of the Cystic Fibrosis gene too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

It's Haarp, everything's Haarp

cocoshovel wrote: »

Well seeing as there are 5+ million people on the island who'd claim to be Irish, then yes, it's probably true that most Irish people are inbred with Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

cocoshovel wrote: »

100% of the world population is inbred

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Maybe they do some kind of sport, but don't warm up before or stretch afterwards? There cannot be too many grown-in toe nails ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Its all to do with the new water filtration system. there's this strange bug going round that making one leg minutely bigger then the other. Now its only like half a centre meter or so but its enough to trough you slightly off. Be kind dude its not something to bring up with the person.

Half a centre metre? That's quite a lot!
    What's this about troughs? I figured Dublin people wouldn't have a whole lot of use for them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

al28283 wrote: »

I expect to see a "Shock Exclusive" on that some day in the Sunday World, The Mail or on TV3! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

al28283 wrote: »

Crap you got a point, i was about to go of on one about Adem and Eve but you got me, even if were talking about evolution were all incestual to a point were there can only be so many points of start.
    On that though, We've had enough time that no one should ever even be touching a 100Th cousin.
    If she has the same second name as you that's the first clue to run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭treborflynn

Am I simply crazy - or is there an explanation for this?

Former

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

They are either on the sick or think they're gangsters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Ive a limp if my backs hurting, I got sciatica.
    I had a problem with sciatica also, a right pain in the arse that continues down along the leg. I was told that I had one leg shorter than the other apparently it's very common, which would also explain a limp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

Fat thighs :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

vasectomies were half price last tuesday:D

i know a few people whove gotten them in the last year, its what all the cool daddys are doing these days,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Seaneh wrote: »
    Thanks to the Vikings and lack of sunshine it seems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement