Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Tracking & photography in Dublin/Wicklow mountains

Options
  • 26-02-2012 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here partake in identifying animals in an area, tracking and photographing wild animals in the mountains surrounding south dublin ( tree rock and surrounding area).

Im interested in getting out to place a few trail cameras, and get relatively close to animals for photography purposes, unsure of where to start.

As I will be visiting a site daily to view trail cam's and to put down a small amount of feed to bring the animals back to the area, the site needs to be relaitvely close to South dublin ( sandyford).

If anyone can advise on a starting point for this id appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Apparently there are wild goats up around the scalp. I have seen pictures of them on Flickr (search: barnaslingan), but I have not seen them in the flesh the few times I've been there.
    You get there through Barnaslingan forest, which is on barnaslingan lane, off the enniskerry road at kilternan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Apparently there are wild goats up around the scalp. I have seen pictures of them on Flickr (search: barnaslingan), but I have not seen them in the flesh the few times I've been there.
    You get there through Barnaslingan forest, which is on barnaslingan lane, off the enniskerry road at kilternan.
    They're definitely there, you sometimes come across them strolling across the road just across from the Scalp itself!! They're interesting inasmuch as the whole herd is white.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

The Scalp goats are a pretty evasive bunch although I seem to had most luck seeing them in the evenings.

There's plenty of deer up around Three Rock, although they generally scarper during the day on account of the numbers of people, especially the dog walkers. If you head up around dawn, it's quite common to see them on the open mountainside near the communications masts. During the day, they mainly hide out in the forestry to the south and east of Three Rock, especially the area near the Ballyedmonduff wedge tomb, assuming the new mountain bike trail hasn't disturbed them too much.

Could swear I also saw a mountain hare on Three Rock one morning: it was only a fleeting glimpse and it might have been a juvenile deer.

Presume foxes and badgers also lurk around the area at night.

Advertisement