Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway Footbridge at South Beach

Options
  • 26-02-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Does anyone have any pictures of this footbridge i'm presuming once crossed the rail line south of the station behind the driving range?

Also anyone have any reasoning as to why it was taken down? It's quite a nice walk following the line south from this point towards Kilcoole. I think it would be nice to see the path upgraded and a scenic walking route promoted, anyone any comments?

Imgur link Here: http://imgur.com/a/dChto#cICNK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I don't think there was a bridge crossing the railway line there ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

What footbridge? You can get to the beach along a streamside path which is at the far end of the driving range. There are lots of railway crossings between Charlesland and Wicklow, but no footbridges. That little path used to continue on to the where the new road in the IDA site is now, skirting around the back fence of the treatment plant, but its very overgrown now.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭karma_coma

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I don't think there was a bridge crossing the railway line there ever.

I'll need to take some photos but at the back of the driving range car park is part of a disused footbridge. There's a sign on it reading "cross the railway by footbridge only".
    You can see the structure in the link I left in the first post.

Now, maybe there was a plan to put up a footbridge to cross the railway at this point, which was never realized, or there used to be a small footbridge over the line at this point.

Annotated image:

lxoVw.png

No thats not a railway footbridge at all.
    I was wrong, it is part of a footbridge

• Advertisement

...well what is it then? I passed it the other day and it clearly looks like the deck section to me..just without the stairs. As I stated previously it has a sign on the side of it saying 'cross railway by footbridge only' so what else could it be?

I will have a look tomorrow and let you know what I think, but there were only 3 footbridges over the railway in the Greystones area. 1 at the turnpike, 1 down by the side of Bochelli's leading across to La Touche Road and the 1 in the station itself.

Maybe its part of a footbridge from somewhere else, and it got dumped there?

recedite wrote: »
    Maybe its part of a footbridge from somewhere else, and it got dumped there?
    Yes I think that may be correct. I had a look at it this morning and it does appear to be part of a footbridge as the op said. But it is not part of any bridge in Greystones.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Yes I think that may be correct. I had a look at it this morning and it does appear to be part of a footbridge as the op said. But it is not part of any bridge in Greystones.

Cheers for having a look PBJ! I still think it would be safer to have a small footbridge there, the fence at the rail line has a gap used to cross over on to the beach..although it's probably more a common sense issue for when to cross! ;)

• Advertisement

karma_coma wrote: »
    Cheers for having a look PBJ! I still think it would be safer to have a small footbridge there, the fence at the rail line has a gap used to cross over on to the beach..although it's probably more a common sense issue for when to cross! ;)

6789972192_23d81fdb30_z.jpg
    DSC_2582 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

They should stick it on the Farrankelly Road at Eden Gate. In the last few months I nearly hit pedestrians on 2 occasions. They were crossing the concrete median, in the dark, from the Eden Wood side to the shop at the Eden Gate side. I don't blame them for wanting to nip across to get milk or whatever; its crazy that they have to jump over that thing or else walk all the way round via the Kilcoole road.

Advertisement