Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athlone - Mullingar line

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Does anyone know how Dara O'Briain, Rory McGrath and Griff Rhys Jones managed to do this on the line??

http://youtu.be/_r7nZuEAymI?t=2m33s

I am sure it’s not that hard as long as you have a large company behind you that can do the necessary health and safety paper work and provide the necessary insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dennis124wwr

Does anyone know how Dara O'Briain, Rory McGrath and Griff Rhys Jones managed to do this on the line??

http://youtu.be/_r7nZuEAymI?t=2m33s

What did they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cyberbeagle

What did they do?

Watch the video - took a railway bike or velocipede for a spin down the line. There was no indication of any Irish Rail staff, no hi-viz vests, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I can assure everyone that this sequence was shot with the cooperation of Irish Rail. It started out at Mullingar station on the former Athlone platforms and proceeded with sequences shot on the velocipede along short stretches not too far from Mullingar. You do not bring a camera crew near a place like Mullingar station without clearance and public liability insurance cover of at least €5 million. I cannot say for certain if Irish Rail safety people were with them, but if they were, they would be kept out of shot so as to lend authenticity to the particular sequence. While the sequence looks spontaneous, it actually requires a lot of planning and shooting. The entire programme requires similar techniques to give the impression it creates.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I can assure everyone that this sequence was shot with the cooperation of Irish Rail. It started out at Mullingar station on the former Athlone platforms and proceeded with sequences shot on the velocipede along short stretches not too far from Mullingar. You do not bring a camera crew near a place like Mullingar station without clearance and public liability insurance cover of at least €5 million. I cannot say for certain if Irish Rail safety people were with them, but if they were, they would be kept out of shot so as to lend authenticity to the particular sequence. While the sequence looks spontaneous, it actually requires a lot of planning and shooting. The entire programme requires similar techniques to give the impression it creates.

Knowing how a shoot is undertaken I would have been very surprised if that was not the case, however it does create the impression that they just turned up - no IE managers interviewed for a simple "is it okay if we do this?" type setup and from an editorial point of view is risky as it could encourage copycat activity on the line.

So my beef is more with the producers rather than IE for poor editorial judgement, in terms of how the sequence was presented - it did give the impression that this was the sort of thing that members of the public could arrange to do and that was misleading.

Knowing how a shoot is undertaken I would have been very surprised if that was not the case, however it does create the impression that they just turned up - no IE managers interviewed for a simple "is it okay if we do this?" type setup and from an editorial point of view is risky as it could encourage copycat activity on the line.

So my beef is more with the producers rather than IE for poor editorial judgement, in terms of how the sequence was presented - it did give the impression that this was the sort of thing that members of the public could arrange to do and that was misleading.

I really can't comment on the sequence from a legal viewpoint, but you are right about how the shoot would have been shot as i alluded to. The finished product could very easily be taken as a free for all, but this is how TV is shot and I guess that Irish Rail would be more responsible for any misunderstandings that followed. There are a multitude of railway related TV shows that project a loose attitude in order to secure dramatic narrative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I find it hard to believe that IE would give it Editorial Approval in the same year as the British Board of Censors received their first complaint about The Railway Children!

It would give bored teenagers the impression that it's OK to strap two bikes together and ride along the New Ross, Youghal or Burma Road (or perhaps an operational line!) Someone dropped one for sure (great TV though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Do you think they got the mullingar - moate token out for them??
    :D

corktina wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that IE would give it Editorial Approval in the same year as the British Board of Censors received their first complaint about The Railway Children!

It would give bored teenagers the impression that it's OK to strap two bikes together and ride along the New Ross, Youghal or Burma Road (or perhaps an operational line!) Someone dropped one for sure (great TV though!)

Editorial approval is on behalf of the producers, not Irish Rail. But I would've expected Irish Rail to have insisted prior to giving permission that it was clear that this was a unique one-off they were allowing.

So yes, that is the jist of why I think it was poor way it was edited/filmed.

So whats going in the line so far.

• Advertisement

The disused railway line going from Athlone to Mullingar

The picture is was taken at around 1970-80. It is a train in Moate.

I have some news about the railway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The picture is was taken at around 1970-80. It is a train in Moate.

1976 at the earliest as its an 071, and since it seems to be marked SA, it would put it in the early/mid 1980's

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Eiretrains

The disused railway line going from Athlone to Mullingar
    That's a J M.Allen photo, it was August 1987, details here.:cool:
    http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20M/Moate/slides/Moate_20090801_001_CC_JA.html

What is SA

Does anyone have more pictures of train 71

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

What is SA

S= Train is fitted with air and vacuum brakes
    A= train is fitted with CAWS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yes?

• Advertisement

And what is going on the line so far

They are making the Dublin Galway Walking way or something. It is going to be started in 2014. On the railway there was irish rail people on the line so it is very likey that the railway is going to be a walkway or something

Did somebody walk the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Did somebody walk the line.
    Yeah, Johnny Cash.

flazio wrote: »

Who is he.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Who is he.

He's the ex-stationmaster in Moate.

• Advertisement

Well, this is new.

We now have to guess what the stories are now? ;)

Is there anymore Irish Rail people on the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Is there anymore Irish Rail people on the line?
    You ask a lot of questions,Padawan.

cml387 wrote: »
    You ask a lot of questions,Padawan.

Sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Sorry
    Nothing to be sorry about, I love reading the answers to your questions. The answer in 126 was hilarious, now we wouldn'd have got that answer if you didn't ask the question.

• Advertisement

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Nothing to be sorry about, I love reading the answers to your questions.

Thank you. You are nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Thank you. You are nice
    Don't get carried away, Im not in a good mood, Im flying to UK tomorrow, then sail to Rotterdam, then 2weeks in Japan and Korea, messy. When the mood is bad Im anything but nice. BON VOYAGE!

Its ok, you will be happy - someday

No I haven't seen anyone else working on the line.
    I think they only cleared it because of pressure from the council about how it looked.

People from Irish Rail and CIE want to fence off the line

If they still keeped working on the line they could have reopened it anytime. But they just left it now if they have to fix the briges lift up the rails to put on more sleepers and so on

If they still keeped working on the line they could have reopened it anytime. But they just left it now if they have to fix the briges lift up the rails to put on more sleepers and so on

May I ask you where you are from?

Grandeeod wrote: »
    May I ask you where you are from?

Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Seems to me Mullingar would be a good spot for a Drogheda style depot one day. Given the economy one day not very soon obviously :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Drove by moate station the other day.....
    Looks terrible.

A old map of railways

Here:

This might be a better one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

the Viceregal Map linked on this page is pretty high res.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

dowlingm wrote: »
    the Viceregal Map linked on this page is pretty high res.

The bottom map (in green) that shows the reduction in rail over the century is kind of sad really.... But most of the lines must have been pure pipe dreams, literally roads to nowhere...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Where did the Dublin Sligo line fork off to go to Cavan?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

TheBody wrote: »
    Where did the Dublin Sligo line fork off to go to Cavan?

Looks like it was at Inny Junction.

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20I/Inny%20Junction/IrishRailwayStations.html

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

A video here:

• Advertisement

Is the Athlone Mullingar line to do with the Streamstown to Clara line because on the map you can see Streamstown near Moate and it is on the line.

Advertisement