Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athlone - Mullingar line

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Is the Athlone Mullingar line to do with the Streamstown to Clara line because on the map you can see Streamstown near Moate and it is on the line.

Yes, the line diverged from the Athlone to Mullingar line at Streamstown Junction which is between Moate and Mullingar. It then went south through Horseleap to Clara.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dennis124wwr

And whats the story with castletown. Did it have a railway station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

And whats the story with castletown. Did it have a railway station.

There was a station between Moate and Mullingar called Castletown but it was about a one and a half miles from the town of castletown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

There was a station between Moate and Mullingar called Castletown but it was about a one and a half miles from the town of castletown.

Full name (pedantic hat on) is Castletown Geoghegan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

cml387 wrote: »
    Full name (pedantic hat on) is Castletown Geoghegan

Even more pedantic, it's a townland.

Is it possible to see the old stations, or have they been demolished? I'm regularly down near Streamstown, keep meaning to see if I can find the station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

CTYIgirl wrote: »

Is it possible to see the old stations, or have they been demolished? I'm regularly down near Streamstown, keep meaning to see if I can find the station.

Castletown Geoghann station is still there but very overgrown. It's accessed on a road off the R 391 and R 390. Parking may be a bit awkward but you should find somewhere to pull up for a few minutes.

Streamstown station is little more than a shelter and a water tower. Stay on the R 391 and it's up a side road close to a school and a GAA pitch; I think the town land/village is called Cloughan. There is a disused trail down to the station that you can park in.

Moate is in the town itself; look for Station Road and there you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Eiretrains

CTYIgirl wrote: »

Yes Castletown Station still exists, but disused. Only traces of Streamstown left nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I think the growth around the level crossing in athlone was only cleared due to complaints from the council.. It did look terrible in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Temp101

As Eiretrain's links show, the old stations at Castletown and Streamstown still have remains, Castletown being the more accessible and interesting, still retaining the signal cabin on one side of the level crossing. The concrete blocks base of the signal cabin is still there in the undergrowth at Streamstown - the wooden upper portions have long since disappeared.

The intermediate station on the Streamstown - Clara line is also readily visible from the old N4 at Horseleap.

I think the growth around the level crossing in athlone was only cleared due to complaints from the council.. It did look terrible in fairness.

So they cleared it.

• Advertisement

Did they clear it in some places more ?

Nope, just at the level crossing in athlone.

Nope, just at the level crossing in athlone.

Can you send me a picture of the crossing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

ISTR that level crossing used to be a lot narrower so that it just took one gate either side to close the road and open the line, then late 90s perhaps they widened the road and footpath and put in a hump pedestrian crossing. But as I remember it, the line was already closed, so I don't think those gates that are there now have ever been used to close the road. I'm not even sure they are long enough.

flazio wrote: »
    ISTR that level crossing used to be a lot narrower so that it just took one gate either side to close the road and open the line, then late 90s perhaps they widened the road and footpath and put in a hump pedestrian crossing. But as I remember it, the line was already closed, so I don't think those gates that are there now have ever been used to close the road. I'm not even sure they are long enough.
    You're probably right
    Though the weedspray train did run the line in 2003.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

dowlingm wrote: »
    The would also be a possible problem if Athlone West was painted by some as a "win" for Roscommon and a "loss" for Westmeath.

But Athlone West is in Westmeath, so that wouldn't be the case ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

So what is possible in the UK is completely impossible for Irish Rail :rolleyes:

In the news it said that the cycleway will be beside the railway tracks.
    mullingar.ie

• Advertisement

I took a spin out some of the backroads this morning between athlone and moate.
    The bridges look perfectly intact.... The Level crossings are a terrible state though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

dowlingm wrote: »
    So what is possible in the UK is completely impossible for Irish Rail :rolleyes:

Examples?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

dregin wrote: »

Any examples with a National Rail line? I can't see how a short enthusiast line with very limited speeds and occasional workings is a viable parallel with Athlone - Mullingar.

Ah :) I just goolged "railway bike lane UK" and those images came back. I see the difference you talk about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Feature on the One Show on BBC1 right now on the Bristol - Bath cycle way partly alongside the Avon line. Also interviewed John Grimshaw of Sustrans who started the whole thing.

Nobody has something to say about the line. I,m out of ideas of what to write

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Nobody has something to say about the line. I,m out of ideas of what to write
    Thread has run to 12pages, so its probably run out of steam ''excuse the pun'';)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

spvr5u.jpg

Not much else to say really....WoT take note

corktina wrote: »
    spvr5u.jpg

Yes if the whole alignment of any route was built to double track. Otherwise where would the additional land not in CIE ownership be coming from?

yes that was a double track line originally and I believe so was the MGWR line. Most single line railways were built with a generous amount of land to allow for double tracking if required. I believe it would be possible to include a cycle and foot path in most instances.

I also believe it is foolhardy to think you would be protecting a Railway by denying a Greenway on the route. If there is room for both, and a simple survey would shown if this is so, then allowing a Greenway now would guarantee the alignment being available for ever. It would be a simple matter to insist in the planning that room for the Railway is left, either now or by an undertaking to move over the path at some future time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

yes that was a double track line originally and I believe so was the MGWR line. Most single line railways were built with a generous amount of land to allow for double tracking if required. I believe it would be possible to include a cycle and foot path in most instances.

I also believe it is foolhardy to think you would be protecting a Railway by denying a Greenway on the route. If there is room for both, and a simple survey would shown if this is so, then allowing a Greenway now would guarantee the alignment being available for ever. It would be a simple matter to insist in the planning that room for the Railway is left, either now or by an undertaking to move over the path at some future time.

May be a way of safeguarding the route, if IE decided to lift the rails, and prevent a North Kerry greenway style farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I find it hard to believe the track between Athlone and Portarlington ever had ambitions to be double track the whole way. The rock gap at Tullamore would suggest it was always a single track operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The GS & WR line from Portarlington to Athlone was always single track.

The loop at Clonnydonnin was installed in 1974.

The MGWR route was the primary route until 1973. It had multiple double track sections when originally built.

Clonsilla to Mullingar, Mullingar to Athlone, Athlone to Ballinasloe, Attymon to Athenry and Oranmore to Galway were all double track until the late 1920s.

Only Clonsilla to Maynooth has been redoubled (in 2001).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

What's the status of the particular line in the photo? I think WoT contend that the possible uses of the line could be restricted in the event of a trail as pictured.

spvr5u.jpg

Where is the picture from?
    I mean what railway line

according to the link, I think it's the Midland Rly Bath to Bristol line, now partly the Avon Valley line.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

according to the link, I think it's the Midland Rly Bath to Bristol line, now partly the Avon Valley line.

If we had similar I think we would have a problem with eegits & easy access to the railway.

we have easy access to railways now, there are no fences on platforms and there are on this route (although in my view these shouldn't be needed anyway)
    ...most Railways in the US aren't fenced and Main Line freights and passenger trains happily run along City streets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

CIE seems to be more serious about securing the railway lines than heretofore.

Any news about the Athlone Mullingar Line?

Its still there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

yeah, it will never be reopened sadly

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

yeah, it will never be reopened sadly

How do you know?

How do you know?

Well, Give some reasons why it would/could open?

yep, if you've any new arguments , lets hear them. Many times it has been explained on here why the service was re-routed to Heuston

A bit of Roma locuta est, causa finita est going on.

Having a direct line into the city centre for western trains has been the best argument for restoring Mullingar to Athlone but due to the GSR's cheese paring vandalism of the Midland line in the twenties by singling it, there are capacity issues between Mullingar and Maynooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Not to mention that even if that section were redoubled, going via Portarlington will be quicker due to the much higher line speed, and the fact that trains would have to cross and recross the Shannon in order to serve Athlone station.

Either way I don't expect any news about this line for some considerable time other than the odd bit of weed clearing.

not to mention the opportunities to change for the South of the Country, we don't all want to go to Dublin

• Advertisement
Advertisement