Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying Fuller while eating Vegan

Options
  • 26-02-2012 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I have a problem staying full lately. I'm trying to eat more ethically which would mean less avocados and the like. Does anyone have any ideas on how to stay fuller for longer on a vegan diet? I know that there is always nuts but I've never really been a fan. Anybody have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

what's wrong with avocados?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Keela11

Nothing really, I'd just think it would be better if I could source my food more locally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Serendipity99

Bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

I've found staying full hard enough when I first became vegan.I always found myself hungy even after big dinners and always wanting more. The hunger eventually went away though as my body adjusted to the vegan diet. It took about a month or two.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You're body should get used to it soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 theinferior

Eat more pulses in your meals: beans, nuts etc. Fiber + protein + a little fat = feeling full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Bread.

Best to google each ingredient in your favorite loaf. Some E numbers commonly used in bread are from milk...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 23 VeganStephen

Hi, your body might be adjusting to your new diet.Perhaps you might do well to do a few of the following as a suggestion:

1. Eat plenty of low GI foodstuff (ie slow energy releasing foods like oats as a breakfast cereal which will sustain you and keep you feeling full for a good four or five hours in the early part of the day). Try to eat either ryebread or wholewheat bread as they are low in GI too.

2. Drink 2.5 litres of water throughout the day. Not only does it keep your body hydrated which is vital for your body to detoxify itself and take care of your internal organs, quite often dehydration can deceive you into thinking your hungry. Whereas if you keep your body topped up with water you will not get those "pangs" that are mistaken for hunger.

3. Look at increasing your intake of pulses (kidney beans, butter beans) grains (quinoa,lentils, buckwheat). Try to move towards (if you haven't already) wholewheat based pastas and brown rices (they are more nutritious and keep you feeling full for longer). Also look at introducing more protein based foods such as tempeh and soya into your diet.

5. Try to eat regularly every three to four hours, in moderate portions which will help keep you sustained throughout the day.

6. If you have concerns about your diet, it would do no harm to see a nutritionist. They can look at your weekly food plan and help adjust it if it needs too be.

Good luck and I hope the advice is helpful.:)

Advertisement