Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

scorched boots!!!!

• 26-02-2012 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

Lads

Yesterday I was tipping about limbing a few trees and minding my own business, enjoying the lovely fine day, when a shout from my father alerted me to look up the hill. To my amazement a wall of fire was streaking across the mountain at a most tremendous pace. I couldn't believe it, we grabbed a few shovels and legged it toward the blaze, when we got there it seemed like the entire mountain was on fire. and we spent the next four hours battling it and eventually gained control.

So what happened I hear you cry? Well the genius next door decided to take advantage of the fine day to burn some furze. The wind was pretty strong and blowing across to us but this didn't seem to register in his tiny mind as he lit it. It tore through the fence luckily doing minimal damage but unfortunately it burned out about 50 acres of a mountain rea that we have fenced in and was supposed to keep us in grazing for the next three weeks. Also I have a couple of hundred heavily pregnant ewes there and now am wondering about stress,etc. The fact that we ran up and got it under control quickly saved his bacon and instead of appreciation and an apology for burning 50 acres on my sheep I was instead met with total ignorance on his part. I was steaming so I walked away from the situation to settle down a bit, not wanting to end up in jail!!

Has anyone ever experienced this kind of idiocy before? How would you proceed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

If the fire-brigade had been called he would have had a nice bill for his furze!

I'd have given him a good bollocking..vented and left it at that. No consulation, but you will probably have better grass in a couple of weeks.

foxylock wrote: »
    Lads

Yesterday I was tipping about limbing a few trees and minding my own business, enjoying the lovely fine day, when a shout from my father alerted me to look up the hill. To my amazement a wall of fire was streaking across the mountain at a most tremendous pace. I couldn't believe it, we grabbed a few shovels and legged it toward the blaze, when we got there it seemed like the entire mountain was on fire. and we spent the next four hours battling it and eventually gained control.

So what happened I hear you cry? Well the genius next door decided to take advantage of the fine day to burn some furze. The wind was pretty strong and blowing across to us but this didn't seem to register in his tiny mind as he lit it. It tore through the fence luckily doing minimal damage but unfortunately it burned out about 50 acres of a mountain rea that we have fenced in and was supposed to keep us in grazing for the next three weeks. Also I have a couple of hundred heavily pregnant ewes there and now am wondering about stress,etc. The fact that we ran up and got it under control quickly saved his bacon and instead of appreciation and an apology for burning 50 acres on my sheep I was instead met with total ignorance on his part. I was steaming so I walked away from the situation to settle down a bit, not wanting to end up in jail!!

Has anyone ever experienced this kind of idiocy before? How would you proceed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

if it was in the middle of the summer it would defo of left u with great grass in a couple of weeks this time of year im unsure its hard to say you could be short of grazeing :/ but what i can say is try and avoid falling out with the neighboor bad grass is tempory bad blood with a neighboor might never be the same again :/ happened us 2 years ago and it was terrible at the time but since we have had far better grass for our ewes got rid of all the old deadened grass and let young/new grass to the top and the sheep were happyer. i dn't know where u stand in the line of compansation just hope for the best with the sheep and best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭foxylock

sound for that lads I've cooled a bit now. We normally burn a bit every year but put in a lot of preparation first and have plenty of help around in case things get outta hand which thankfully has never happened. But this donkey just lit it and let it off . . . . . here I go again must check blood pressure :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

sound for that lads I've cooled a bit now. We normally burn a bit every year but put in a lot of preparation first and have plenty of help around in case things get outta hand which thankfully has never happened. But this donkey just lit it and let it off . . . . . here I go again must check blood pressure :D:D

If the fire brigade had been called who would have been landed with the bill ?
    I mean your neighbour obviously wasn't calling them, he wanted his side burnt off,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

Markcheese wrote: »
    I mean your neighbour obviously wasn't calling them, he wanted his side burnt off,

the person who calls the fire brigade are responisible for paying it !

• Advertisement

fanadman1 wrote: »
    Markcheese wrote: »

the person who calls the fire brigade are responisible for paying it !

Now that's just daft.... What and you'd have to take neighbour through the court to try get your money back ... And no guarantee ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I may be corrected on this...

If you ring the Gardai and report a fire they will call the fire brigade.

Also, wasn't there something in the recent past about the landowner footing the bill regardless of who calls? Or did that get rejected, can't remember now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It varies from county to county as far as I know, but generally speaking, the 'beneficial recipient' of the service gets the bill.
    If your house, shed, forest, hedge, field, etc are on fire and the fire brigade attend the scene, you get the bill no matter who made the telephone call.

Yeah, but if someone else negligently lights a fire, or let's it get out of control they're probably liable, so you could argue the beneficiary is the idiot neighbours insurance company as they should have to shell for any damage done

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Insurance company is the last thing on his mind the fupper went burning again this evening. And again lost control of his fire, some gombeens should never be let near a box of matches!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

You could sue him for distress to sheep and loss of your grass. however, if and it is an if, he has insurance, the insurer might refuse to indemnify him, meaning that any award made would have to be paid by him personally. How do you feel about going down that road?

Does he have money?

Is he insured?

If he is, has he reported the incident to insurers and what is their response?

Have you been onto him about your loss?

How do you prove a sheep was distressed? The grass is on a commonage albeit everyone has their own section fenced with over fifty years! but still it's commonage. And it could prove to be a very expensive claim because if there is a dispute the fences may have to come down and that would be hugely problematic. Don't know about claims or insurance I wouldn't go down that road, at the end of the day we want to keep the stress to the bare minimum and neighbours no matter how careless are .... well right beside us. He knows my feelings on the matter but maybe his Ignorance should be just ignored. I dunno, why create more hassle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

How do you prove a sheep was distressed?

The Chris the sheep episode of Fr Ted could shed some light on that subject.

johngalway wrote: »
    The Chris the sheep episode of Fr Ted could shed some light on that subject.

Ah jaysus if I have to break out the Father Ted boxset again for more of my lifes education the night will be gone!! It has practically reared me.

" Doesn't Mary have a lovely bottom" :D:D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Ah jaysus if I have to break out the Father Ted boxset again for more of my lifes education the night will be gone!! It has practically reared me.

" Doesn't Mary have a lovely bottom" :D:D;)

" ah careful now Ted"

" They all have lovely bottoms"

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

when i read the titleof this thread i thought it said "scorched boobs":D

Advertisement