Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Any signs of KitKat for the one yet? I'm on meteor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

scudzilla wrote: »

Will be a good while yet.

HTC have only just begun testing it with Sense, it'll need to be approved by them and then passed onto Networks who'll need to check it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

scudzilla wrote: »

I messaged meteor on Twitter and they said late Jan but with there track record id say more like Feb or after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I messaged meteor on Twitter and they said late Jan but with there track record id say more like Feb or after.

Is it down to Meteor though? I think it goes by CID. Mines from Meteor but unbranded and has CID of HTC_001 so I think Meteor have nothing to do with it.

Check ro.cid in this app to see what you have
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tritonsoft.cidgetter

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys does anyone have the offical hTC One Car dock? I've started using my phone in my car but my phone mount is crappy. Considering the official one but is it worth the money? Or are there other cheaper ones worth getting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I've used ones similar to these in the past:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Windscreen-Strong-Suction-Mount-Car-Holder-Cradle-Kit-For-HTC-ONE-M7-/370817011915?pt=UK_Holders_Mounts&hash=item56566a90cb

One of them broke at the catch but for €7 it done the job

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've had a few cheap ones before and they are usually pretty rubbish. I know its very expsenive but I was looking at this one: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/GENUINE-NEW-HTC-ONE-CAR-KIT-FOR-HTC-ONE-IN-BLACK-CAR-D160-99H11114-00-CARD160-/181085240288?pt=UK_Holders_Mounts&hash=item2a29857be0 - the offical HTC Car dock. Has anyone used it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys does anyone have the offical hTC One Car dock? I've started using my phone in my car but my phone mount is crappy. Considering the official one but is it worth the money? Or are there other cheaper ones worth getting?

I have one, it's excellent. The only problem I've had with it is the cable not clipping into the dock quite as well as it should, but it's a minor annoyance, and if it's a permanent installation a small drop off superglue would correct the problem. I highly recommend it in general though, it's very well thought out.

Ok great, thanks for that. A few questions if I may:

Do you have to use the supplied cable or can you use your own microusb cable? I have one that comes from the stereo. I prefer to keep it neater than having something plugged into the cigarette lighter.
    I hear it comes with a pad to stick it to the dashboard. Have you done this, does it work well? I'd rather mine on the dash if possible as my windscreen is quite far back from the seating position.
    Does it click in and out into the charger ok or is it fiddly?
    Do you use it in Car Mode mostly or just normal phone?

Thanks, any help appreciated.

Do you have to use the supplied cable or can you use your own microusb cable?

Any USB cable will charge it, but the HTC cables are cross-wired to enabling triggering of the car/dock modes, so you'll need to use a HTC cable or equivalent. You should also check the output from the head unit -- some of them put out less than 1A, which will cause longer charging times, and even overruns if your One is busy. I use the stock HTC cable hooked up to a dual-port socket installed behind the dash.
    I hear it comes with a pad to stick it to the dashboard. Have you done this, does it work well?

Nope, mine is attached to the windscreen. The pad is a standard 3M yoke, they come with everything. They're supposed to work pretty well if you have a flat enough surface to use.
    Does it click in and out into the charger ok or is it fiddly?

It doesn't click, just seems to wedge itself into place. Aside from the issue I mentioned above, it's fine. Just get your placement right, offer it up first.
    Do you use it in Car Mode mostly or just normal phone?

Car Mode. HTC's car mode is quite good, they seem to put a priority on satisfying drivers and they've improved incrementally since the Sensation, but it isn't quite right for me because they lock some things in, so I've switched to Car Home Ultra. There's a bit of config in it, but I can squeeze more out of it.

• Advertisement

Brilliant thanks. Interesting on the head unit ampage. It is definitely very slow at charging, and I was considering hard wiring in something better. Is it difficult to do?

I want mine mounted on the dash but it is a slightly curved surface so not sure if it will work but I'll have to see.

I'll check out Car home ultra, looks great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I have the official dock also. Well worth the money. It's very solid and the no fiddling when you put the phone in. The supplied cable is effective at charging the phone even with multiple apps running.

The only issue I have is with Bluetooth. The phone paired fine with my car Bluetooth until the last update but now it's borked. Common issue apparently without a solution that's worked for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I have it and found that the default charger for it would barely keep it going when running Satnav etc. But then again I was running the dashcam on it as well so maybe that drains it too much.
    You can get more powerful ones on Amazon upto 5a which would push out plenty of power to your HTC One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I'm.having problems with my One getting hot and discharging the battery very quickly. Doesn't happen as a result of any apps running, happened today in my pocket and drained the battery by 60% in a very short period.

Anyone else having this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭SteM

Anyone else having problems with wifi on their HTC One? Ever since mine upgraded to 4.3 I keep getting knocked off my home wifi network. It might last 5 or 10 minutes and then to reconnect I have to enter Airplane mode and come back out of it.

Anyone else having wifi problems since upgrading to 4.3? It's driving me crazy.

Ah ok interesting, thanks. I definitely want to go the hard wiring option to get more power as the power from my current cable is not much. How is this one wired exactly? Apart from that one linked, what other options are there, I cannot find any on amazon - or is that one the best one to get? Rovoago who fitted it for you, or do you do it yourself?

My only other wonder is to see if I'll be able to mount that 3M pad on the dash. My dash looks like this- not really a flat surface. I'd like it just to the right of the two central air vents. I'm hoping there is some way I can make it work. I'd assume these pads allow for a slightly curved surface??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I'm.having problems with my One getting hot and discharging the battery very quickly. Doesn't happen as a result of any apps running, happened today in my pocket and drained the battery by 60% in a very short period.

Anyone else having this problem?

I had battery drain issues a few weeks ago, which I was putting down to something in the 4.3 software update.

In the end, I decided to do a back-up and factory reset. That worked a treat: back to getting about 36 hours between charges with about 4 hours screen time.

So I don't think it was down to the software. It was a rogue app doing something.

There are a couple of apps that I didn't put back on after the factory reset (Cover and Aviate), so it was possibly down to one of them. Do you use either of those?

Rovoago who fitted it for you, or do you do it yourself?

I fitted it myself. Ideally it should be set up with a proper feed and a relay, but it could be set up by simply tapping into a positive as long as it has 2A clearance, and earthed to the body. It doesn't come with instructions though, so you'd need to do some research if you're not familiar. There are others on eBay, I thought that one was the best with a bit of research.
    I'd assume these pads allow for a slightly curved surface??

The pad will bend, but the suction cup won't take much of a curve. I can't speak for the TT as I haven't looked at the dash in one for a while, but if I was you I'd try it first. I've had one in a Volvo 850, BMW 740, an Astravan, and more besides, some of which were set quite far back. The 7 in particular has a relatively shallow screen, and I didn't have problems there.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Can anyone get emoticons to appear on received texts? I can get them to appear in the keyboard for sending, but whenever I receive a text from anyone else (main people are on other HTC's) their emoticons arent showing up. I cant find any option for displaying them at all. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

antodeco wrote: »
    Can anyone get emoticons to appear on received texts? I can get them to appear in the keyboard for sending, but whenever I receive a text from anyone else (main people are on other HTC's) their emoticons arent showing up. I cant find any option for displaying them at all. Thanks

Posted on this a while back.
    They are not showing up as the little images for me, instead just the characters :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Anyone have issues with bluetooth with their car?
    I keep losing connection when on a call as in the call stays live but sound pops in and out of the speakers, very annoying.
    Its a Ford Focus with built in bluetooth, other phones are fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Anybody's else's battery life taken a noticeable dive lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Nope, mine's the opposite. Install wakelock detector to see if there is anything amiss

I posted on this here about a week ago, have a look at that reply.

Article here on how to get a calendar widget on your lock screen

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57617679-285/display-your-agenda-on-android-lock-screens-with-neat-calendar/?ttag=fbwp

Thing is I cant get it on my normal lock screen, I can swype right and add it there. Anyone know how to get it on the main one?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

does anyone know why on my phone when i go into security>notification settings, i only have the options of phone and text messages? there should also be emails and calendar available.
    thanks

nipps wrote: »
    does anyone know why on my phone when i go into security>notification settings, i only have the options of phone and text messages? there should also be emails and calendar available.
    thanks

I think that notifications are turned on/off for each individual app. Go to Settings>Apps, then find the app you want (say Calendar) and make sure the box for Show Notifications is ticked.

I think that notifications are turned on/off for each individual app. Go to Settings>Apps, then find the app you want (say Calendar) and make sure the box for Show Notifications is ticked.

yeah the box was already ticked but it still isn't showing up

yeah the box was already ticked but it still isn't showing up

Just had a look at mine, through Security>Notifications. I have a list that has: Phone, Voicemail, Text Messages, Emails and Calendar.

Not sure why yours would be different. I'm running stock 4.3 OS (3 network) Sense 5.5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

Just had a look at mine, through Security>Notifications. I have a list that has: Phone, Voicemail, Text Messages, Emails and Calendar.

Not sure why yours would be different. I'm running stock 4.3 OS (3 network) Sense 5.5.

ye i'm running on the same as you, its an odd one. i got onto htc themselves and they couldnt understand how it had happened. eventually after trying loads of things, they suggested i factory reset the device, nut in doing so everything on it would be erased. so that wasnt really an option for me.

ye i'm running on the same as you, its an odd one. i got onto htc themselves and they couldnt understand how it had happened. eventually after trying loads of things, they suggested i factory reset the device, nut in doing so everything on it would be erased. so that wasnt really an option for me.

Sounds like the nuclear option to go down the road of factory reset, but if you back up first it's not so bad.

I did a factory reset a couple of weeks ago and the battery is back to normal after it (it had been draining very fast before the reset for some reason). So it might seem like a pain the arse, but the end result is worth it IMHO

So I got the official HTC One car dock today. Looks good but slightly disappointed. the power cable clips in at the bottom but its loose and wiggles around. Also the phone just slides in and does not really grip apart from under its own gravity.

I would much prefer to mount it on my dashboard but the place supplied wont stick as the dash is slightly curved. I'll have to see if I can figure out a workaround

Sounds like the nuclear option to go down the road of factory reset, but if you back up first it's not so bad.

I did a factory reset a couple of weeks ago and the battery is back to normal after it (it had been draining very fast before the reset for some reason). So it might seem like a pain the arse, but the end result is worth it IMHO

maybe so but my phone is only a week old. i reckon i'll be able to survive:)

So I got the official HTC One car dock today. Looks good but slightly disappointed. the power cable clips in at the bottom but its loose and wiggles around. Also the phone just slides in and does not really grip apart from under its own gravity.

I mentioned both of these to you. My cable is a little loose too, but the only problem it causes is a failed connection every half dozen or so inserts. I'm a fussy b'stard, and I've never bothered to fix it. But I could, with a single spot of glue.

And the dock isn't supposed to clip in, it's basically narrows as the phone goes in. Perhaps yours isn't as well manufactured, but my phone has never, ever come out, despite spirited driving and horizontal positioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I would much prefer to mount it on my dashboard but the place supplied wont stick as the dash is slightly curved. I'll have to see if I can figure out a workaround

I felt the same, but when started using it realized that the phone is actually secure.
    Much better design than any of the aftermarket ones i tried.

rovoagho wrote: »
    I mentioned both of these to you. My cable is a little loose too, but the only problem it causes is a failed connection every half dozen or so inserts. I'm a fussy b'stard, and I've never bothered to fix it. But I could, with a single spot of glue.

And the dock isn't supposed to clip in, it's basically narrows as the phone goes in. Perhaps yours isn't as well manufactured, but my phone has never, ever come out, despite spirited driving and horizontal positioning.
    You did indeed and you were spot on. I don't think it's that big a deal but worth mentioning. I have not got it properly installed yet but will do soon.

I'm getting my usb cable hard wired into the back of the dash to keep it all neat. The only problem I have is that when it is affixed to the windscreen its too far away. I want to mount it on the dash but the sticky pad provided will not stick as the dash is curved. Now trying to find a way to stick it without ruining the dash.

That looks absolutely perfect - Thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Hi guys,

Anyone able to help me out on changing notifications (Email notification) for a certain email address on the HTC One?

I created a new thread on this yesterday but no-one replied, so maybe it's something that's not possible.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057140992

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Anyone get a software update yet for 4g off three??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

paulieeye wrote: »

No and I'd take early February with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lfc2000

paulieeye wrote: »

Early Feb. They won't give a date but I do know their testing it in the UK with three which is ireland aswell. I would say any time after the 10th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Anyone have an issue with email not staying connected all the time,keep getting the last connected time/date on top of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Would I mad to enter a 24 months contract with a HTC one?

New phones will be announced soon and afraid I'll be left in the dark, But is there anything new on the horizon that I would be really missing out on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Flexible phones?

Would I mad to enter a 24 months contract

Yes

Indeed. Bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Would I mad to enter a 24 months contract with a HTC one?

New phones will be announced soon and afraid I'll be left in the dark, But is there anything new on the horizon that I would be really missing out on?

Love my HTC One, it's a fantastic phone and I can't really think of any phone beside the Nexus 5 that is as good right now. But yes, you'd be mad to get one now. Hold out another month.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    But yes, you'd be mad to get one now. Hold out another month.
    Only on a 24 months contract. The one 2 will only be out April - May.

• Advertisement
Advertisement