Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Would I mad to enter a 24 months contract with a HTC one?

New phones will be announced soon and afraid I'll be left in the dark, But is there anything new on the horizon that I would be really missing out on?

As someone else posted, the HTC One 2, Samsung Galaxy S5, Sony Z2, are all set to be announced later this month at MWC (HTC poss announced seperately in March in a stand alone event) Also on the horizon is the Nokia 1820, no date for this though yet.

HTC One 2 is set to have 2 cameras in the rear if the rumours are to be believed. S5 will no doubt be a beast, rumoured 2K screen, and full screen finger print scanner, beefed up camera etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

As someone else posted, the HTC One 2, Samsung Galaxy S5, Sony Z2, are all set to be announced later this month at MWC (HTC poss announced seperately in March in a stand alone event) Also on the horizon is the Nokia 1820, no date for this though yet.

HTC One 2 is set to have 2 cameras in the rear if the rumours are to be believed. S5 will no doubt be a beast, rumoured 2K screen, and full screen finger print scanner, beefed up camera etc.

Is there anything to stop me selling the one in a month or two and putting the cash towards a new phone? Will it be unlocked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It may or may not be unlocked, most likely will not be. People will be reluctant to buy a locked phone off someone they don't know as of they're stolen or the original owner stops paying the bill, the phone can be bricked.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Just_Magic

Would I mad to enter a 24 months contract with a HTC one?

New phones will be announced soon and afraid I'll be left in the dark, But is there anything new on the horizon that I would be really missing out on?

I entered a 24 month contract with a HTC One in December. Quality phone.

It may or may not be unlocked, most likely will not be. People will be reluctant to buy a locked phone off someone they don't know as of they're stolen or the original owner stops paying the bill, the phone can be bricked.

I really need a new phone atm that's the only reason in considering it, Is there services out there that will unlock it for a fee?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Buy a chinese phone in the meantime, you'll get the same spec for nearly half the price. You won't get the same warranty - i.e. if the screen goes you'll find it very hard to replace, but you only need it to last a short while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I really need a new phone atm that's the only reason in considering it, Is there services out there that will unlock it for a fee?

I would stick to cheap phone for 3 months if i was you. Not worth a 24 months contract at this moment, and the One will not sell so well second hand when the new model comes out.
    On the other hand if you are happy with the phone the 30 euro plan isn't that bad. I wouldn't sign up for any of the higher plans, not with a soon to be an out of date phone.

I'll be selling the phone in about 6 months and putting money towards a new phone sim free and sticking with the contract, I don't mind the contract being 24 months as I'm looking to get into a contract anyway. I just want to know for sure if I'll be able to unlock the phone in 6 months time and sell it on.

I'll be selling the phone in about 6 months and putting money towards a new phone sim free and sticking with the contract, I don't mind the contract being 24 months as I'm looking to get into a contract anyway. I just want to know for sure if I'll be able to unlock the phone in 6 months time and sell it on.

My old HTC DesireHD was factory unlocked - bought from Meteor on Bill Pay plan. Can't check the One as i have no spare card to use, but some of the phones were unlocked and unbranded (from Meteor). Not sure if it was HTC or the network decision not to usea sim lock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I realise there's new models coming soon but, realistically, it'll be a few months before they trickle their way into operators here and then it'll be at a premium price.

Right now then, I'm looking to upgrade and sooner rather than later. I'm operating off a Desire HD on Android 2.3.3 so I imagine a move to the HTC One will be a very big leap. As it stands my HD generally does me for what I want. I'm not bothered using it for video much or any heavy browsing as I've got a PC or my Nexus 10 for that. Mostly it's used for some surfing, games now and then, and as an occasional eBook. The bigger screen then would be a big draw for me as would a touched up browser.

Realistically speaking then is there any point in waiting if I don't really have a need for a very high-speced phone? The HD has lasted me 3.5 years and I'm only really moving on as it's starting to struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

ftm2008 wrote: »

Has anyone got the update to KitKat yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

ixoy wrote: »
    I realise there's new models coming soon but, realistically, it'll be a few months before they trickle their way into operators here and then it'll be at a premium price.

Right now then, I'm looking to upgrade and sooner rather than later. I'm operating off a Desire HD on Android 2.3.3 so I imagine a move to the HTC One will be a very big leap. As it stands my HD generally does me for what I want. I'm not bothered using it for video much or any heavy browsing as I've got a PC or my Nexus 10 for that. Mostly it's used for some surfing, games now and then, and as an occasional eBook. The bigger screen then would be a big draw for me as would a touched up browser.

Realistically speaking then is there any point in waiting if I don't really have a need for a very high-speced phone? The HD has lasted me 3.5 years and I'm only really moving on as it's starting to struggle.

Jaysus I change my phone every 6months by comparison :)

The one is a super phone and a massive upgrade for you.

I'm on 4.4.2 and sense 5.5 for that other poster. Unofficially though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Has anyone else got that issue with the camera in low lights situations?
    All my night pictures have a stupid purple haze all over them. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Womdering how long it is taking your phones for a full charge?
    Mine seems to be charging very slowly lately....Last night was 7hours 44 mins for a full charge (battery doctor app)

I'm not using the original HTC usb cable as I lost it but I'm using the HTC wall charger and a standard micro USB cable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

What cable are you using? I have a few chargers, one is a random 2m long usb cable plugged into a htc wall adaptor I bought on ebay. Takes about 7 hours but I only use it at night. I have another which is a Blackberry charger and it is super quick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Has anyone on 3 got the 4G software update yet?

Zascar wrote: »
    What cable are you using? I have a few chargers, one is a random 2m long usb cable plugged into a htc wall adaptor I bought on ebay. Takes about 7 hours but I only use it at night. I have another which is a Blackberry charger and it is super quick

I'm not using the original HTC usb cable as I lost it but I'm using the HTC wall charger and a standard micro USB cable...I have a HP Touchpad charger as well but i think that is giving the same charge time

neacy69 wrote: »
    Womdering how long it is taking your phones for a full charge?
    Mine seems to be charging very slowly lately....Last night was 7hours 44 mins for a full charge (battery doctor app)

I'm not using the original HTC usb cable as I lost it but I'm using the HTC wall charger and a standard micro USB cable.

The cable itself shouldn't make any difference. 7 hours sound very long to me. Check if the connection isn't loose on both ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Is anoyone using custom firmware like CyanogenMod on theirs? Whats it like? Im considering making the move. Had CM on my previous HTC and loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Recently updated my HTC One X and now have an error showing up every few minutes on the phone = android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly.

Have looked around the net but most fixes seem to be to delete my entire contact list and not sync with Facebook which seems a fair bit of a glitch?

Any ideas on how to get around this?

• Advertisement

Recently updated my HTC One X and now have an error showing up every few minutes on the phone = android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly.

Have looked around the net but most fixes seem to be to delete my entire contact list and not sync with Facebook which seems a fair bit of a glitch?

Any ideas on how to get around this?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/240158-android-process-acore-has-stopped-unexpectedly.html

Something on there about a date error, and changing date to 31st jan 2012 then back again

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Hi, I've been having problems when im on google chrome on my htc one, my internet keeps dropping and going back to my home page, any idea's. Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Finally got the HTC D160 Car dock fitted. Here's a few pix. I used Sugru to make the mounting disc stick to the dashboard so it's now in the perfect position. I can take off the mount and leave it with just the small disc on the dash, and if needed I can pull this off as if it was never there. Perfect!

It's currently plugged into the cigarette lighter but I'm going to get it wired in behind the dash for a stronger current and make it neater.

2014-02-14%2017.42.19.jpg

2014-02-14%2017.42.47-3.jpg

Really happy with it, works great. I actually prefer Google maps to my TomTom. Voice usually work pretty well. I love how Car Mode turns on GPS and Bluetooth on when you slot it in. However, it turns it off when you exit car mode, I'd prefer if it turned them off when I took the car out of the dock - as often I leave car mode to do something in the normal screen. Does anyone know if I can do this?

Settings.

Where it's wired has no relevance to current.

Yes It does. I got a proper Dual usb port that wires to the fuseboard and gives a full 5 Volts - 2.1 Amps which is way more than it's getting right now.

Your phone won't pull 2.1A. The phone regulates draw, it won't pull more than it should. You can hook it up to genny if you like, the phone won't draw more than it will from a standard HTC charger plugged into the cigarette lighter. The only valid reason to hook the charger up under the dash is aesthetics.

I'm the one that explained all this to you, remember? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Finally got the HTC D160 Car dock fitted

Thanks for that - I was looking forward to seeing the results. I much prefer the phone to my TomTom also!

Got the HTC one after and battery life is nothing short of shocking. Took it off full charge at 11am this morning and I'm on 18% after moderate usage . Haven't got through afull day since I got it.

Went to bed the othr night at 100% woke up with 83%? Something must be draining the battery in idle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Got the HTC one after and battery life is nothing short of shocking. Took it off full charge at 11am this morning and I'm on 18% after moderate usage . Haven't got through afull day since I got it.

Went to bed the othr night at 100% woke up with 83%? Something must be draining the battery in idle

Is wireless on? Bluetooth?

Go into power options and see the breakdown of whats using power.

When at home use wifi instead the 3g network. See if it makes any difference.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Is wireless on? Bluetooth?

Go into power options and see the breakdown of whats using power.

WiFi and bliluetooth off at night, Just checked there and Android system used 66% today dialer 23% and then 2 or 3 others a t a couple of percent each.

Seems high for Android system

WiFi and bliluetooth off at night, Just checked there and Android system used 66% today dialer 23% and then 2 or 3 others a t a couple of percent each.

Seems high for Android system

That's why i suggested to turn the wifi on;)
    The 3g connection can drain the battery when updating all the feeds etc. Especially when the network coverage is less than perfect.

wonski wrote: »
    That's why i suggested to turn the wifi on;)
    The 3g connection can drain the battery when updating all the feeds etc. Especially when the network coverage is less than perfect.

Didn't have 3g on though ya see, Must be something else. Gonna root it this week and flash a Rom see if it helps

rovoagho wrote: »
    Your phone won't pull 2.1A. The phone regulates draw, it won't pull more than it should. You can hook it up to genny if you like, the phone won't draw more than it will from a standard HTC charger plugged into the cigarette lighter. The only valid reason to hook the charger up under the dash is aesthetics.

I'm the one that explained all this to you, remember? :rolleyes:

Really? My mechanic told me otherwise. Weird. I want to do it anyway as it will be neater, but with my other cable if I had bluetooth, gps maps and screen on, it barely charges at all. Hopefully this will be better

Really? My mechanic told me otherwise. Weird. I want to do it anyway as it will be neater, but with my other cable if I had bluetooth, gps maps and screen on, it barely charges at all. Hopefully this will be better

There is a reason the original charger gives 1A at 5V. If they could reduce the charging time they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Nal

Im looking at picking up a htc one on a 6 monthcontract from 02. 289 for the phone and 55 a month.Would this be a stupid idea considering the announcment
    of a couple of more flagships in the coming weeks?

If you can hold out, you might as well, however, it could be many months before they are released here. At least you are only getting a 6 month contract. You'll still be able to sell the One in 6 months and get whatever else is new on a new contract then..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I've had the One since launch, yesterday was one of the handful of times in didn't make it through the day. Off the charger at 7am and it was dead at 10pm. Had the One X before and it was usually looking for power about noon. Massively impressed with the One's battery performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Looks like the new HTC One (or whatever it will be called) will be announced on 25th March.

https://twitter.com/HTC_UK/status/436832688448618496/photo/1

• Advertisement

Has anyone got onto 4G with 3 yet? Update was suppost to be out early this month

srumball wrote: »
    Has anyone got onto 4G with 3 yet? Update was suppost to be out early this month

Not with three....but when i was in dublin last week I could get 4g with vodafone....

When is 02 getting it does anyone know?

Do you have to change anything on your phone or is it automatic? I heard it sucks additional battery life is this true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

When is 02 getting it does anyone know?

Do you have to change anything on your phone or is it automatic? I heard it sucks additional battery life is this true?
    Dont think theyve set an official date yet.

If your phone is o2 branded theyll probably push out a small update to enable it. If sim free it should be good to go. It does use extra battery life compared to 3G but the difference varies on usage so difficult to tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Since the last update (i forgot to factory reset at the time)... My battery hasn't been able to get me through a full day - by that I mean a full working day on a Friday and off for a night out that evening... I also discovered that the camera now has a pink hue when shooting in low light.

I just did a factory reset which I hope will fix the battery issue... But the camera is still pink...

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

My htc one is now very slow to refresh the home screen, this has only started happening in the last few days. Very annoying, any ideas that might help would be appreciated ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

Kit Kat 4.4 being downloaded as I type :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I hear it adds a Micro SD card reader...

I'm guessing you are sim free phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

srumball wrote: »
    I'm guessing you are sim free phone?

I believe its unlocked alright.
    Don't think it adds anything visually, just backend,

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

I unlocked my o2 branded HTC One and am now with Three. Does anyone know how I will get the 4.4.2 update? Will I get it when Three approves it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement