Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

scudzilla wrote: »
    If you mean what the update actually does then http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/

That's a great link, but aren't most of those things nexus only? Any links to KitKat features as found in Sense 5.5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

If you mean what the update actually does then http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/

That's a great link, but aren't most of those things nexus only? Any links to KitKat features as found in Sense 5.5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

Does the nfc icon stay on the notification bar all the time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

ofcork wrote: »
    Does the nfc icon stay on the notification bar all the time now.

You've turned off NFC right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

Just found it there to turn off:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

i downloaded the update but then chose not to install it as i realised my battery was low, the phone said that my download would be deleted, to download again later ... now when i go into updates, it says there's no update available, but i'm defo still only on 4.3

this happen to anyone else??

any way to force an update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Apps>Downloads. Should be in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

On Meteor, have auto-update on and I check manually ever so often. Still nothing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Don't seem to have it on my phone either, with 3.

Apps>Downloads. Should be in there

It's not in downloads, when I cancelled the installation, I got a message saying the download would be deleted and I'd have to download it again, but I can't because it says no update is available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

I'm having same issue. Cancelled update now it says system is up to date? I tried clearing the google services framework and stopping it but it still shows no update? Any ideas

Gavman84 wrote: »
    I'm having same issue. Cancelled update now it says system is up to date? I tried clearing the google services framework and stopping it but it still shows no update? Any ideas

Yeah mines Defo not up to date, as it still says 4.3 in the about software section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭smilerf

I'm on 4.4 with 3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Still 4.3 for me.

So it seems those renders were spot on. Seriously mystified as to how they managed to make a balls of the design. Also, how stupid is this kid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Still looks stunning to me, it's a shame they lost the symmetry of the BoomSound speakers but looks excellent imo.

htc-one-2014-evleaks_thumb.jpg
    13705.jpg

Again, here's the now confirmed render v's the One. Onscreen buttons, while retaining the space for branding. "Edge to edge" screen design now gone and features the metal frame, echoing the cheaper One mini. Asymmetrical speakers and just an uglier shape. It's a huge step back in terms of industrial design. Still, MicroSD is good

I've said it before, but this new phone looks like an early unrefined prototype of the original One. It's kinda like a bad chinese knock-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

I think the new design for the M8 is perfect. Dual camera lens for improves photos (a brave move but I suspect many vendors will follow), slightly bigger screen is always good, the on screen buttons wouldn't bother me, the SD card slot was definitely needed.

The headphone jack at the bottom was a good idea, I really liked it when I had my iPhone....if you think about it, you will always put your phone upside down in your pocket!!

I would love a pure Android version but its not a big deal as I'm sure someone will have a custom ROM for it soon after release.

I'm not too sure on which color to go for, the grey looks nice but is it too dark, I personally love my silver M7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

htc-one-2014-evleaks_thumb.jpg
    13705.jpg

Again, here's the now confirmed render v's the One. Onscreen buttons, while retaining the space for branding. "Edge to edge" screen design now gone and features the metal frame, echoing the cheaper One mini. Asymmetrical speakers and just an uglier shape. It's a huge step back in terms of industrial design. Still, MicroSD is good

I've said it before, but this new phone looks like an early unrefined prototype of the original One. It's kinda like a bad chinese knock-off.

The design changes make the phone more solid. Removing the plastic gets HTC closer to their dream of an all metal phone. I was worried by renders but that video did a lot to convince me this thing will look incredible in person. Also the zoom capabilities look incredible goes a long way to address the lack of MP's.

beno619 wrote: »
    The design changes make the phone more solid. Removing the plastic gets HTC closer to their dream of an all metal phone. I was worried by renders but that video did a lot to convince me this thing will look incredible in person. Also the zoom capabilities look incredible goes a long way to address the lack of MP's.

I agree, It does look more solid. I hope the build quality is a bit better as my M7 is very grubby around the edges after a years personnel use. Granted I should have had a phone cover on it but then why build sexy looking phones to cover them up :D

Im happy with the raised buttons too....the M7 buttons are finiky sometimes.

Im not too fussed about MPs, I really think the M7 has a better camera than the iPhone and S4 even with their 8/12MP cameras!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Started having a few problems with my HTC One.

Firstly, more and more when I exit from an app to a Home Screen, it takes a few seconds for the apps to appear. It also cancels whatever app functions were still open (like a podcast).

Secondly, I just noticed today that when I go into the camera, the initial view on the screen doesn't change. It can still take pictures of what the camera is pointing at, but won't show it on the screen.

Lastly, when I connect it to my PC, I can't access anything in Windows Explorer. It will if I update HTC Sync Manager, but then the next time I try, "Found New Hardware" sh*te comes up, says "A problem occured during installation" etc and I can't again.

Any help on any of these issues greatly appreciated. Fantastic phone, one of the best I've had. But lately it's been bugging out on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

anyone have any advice for cleaning the inward facing camera? or if this is even possible? the lens on mine looks to be completely caked with dust and it makes photos taken with that camera blurry. I'm not sure if this is a normal thing or just an issue with mine (the top right hand corner casing around the camera lens is actually a tiny bit loose from a minor fall.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Penn wrote: »
    Started having a few problems with my HTC One.
    Firstly, more and more when I exit from an app to a Home Screen, it takes a few seconds for the apps to appear. It also cancels whatever app functions were still open (like a podcast).

I didnt have your other issues but I did have this one happening more and more over the course of a few weeks. I ended up doing a full restore on the phone and it has been perfect ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

What is the general experience of HTC One owners with battery life? I got mine this week and it's been hard to judge, but battery life seems to drain quite a bit. I'm not a very heavy user. Hopefully it'll settle down. How much time/use can I expect from a charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

gawker wrote: »
    How much time/use can I expect from a charge?

I get between 16 and 24 hours. Your question is pretty close to how long is a piece of string, there are so many variables.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭United Red

Yesterday evening I don't know what I did to the camera on my HTC One - but now when I go to use the camera on the phone I just have a blank screen and cannot see what I'm about to photograph. The camera is working and continues to take photographs, it's just I can see what I'm about to take on screen beforehand. I'm sure it's simple to remedy - but help appreciated:)

United Red wrote: »
    Yesterday evening I don't know what I did to the camera on my HTC One - but now when I go to use the camera on the phone I just have a blank screen and cannot see what I'm about to photograph. The camera is working and continues to take photographs, it's just I can see what I'm about to take on screen beforehand. I'm sure it's simple to remedy - but help appreciated:)

this happened to me a few weeks ago, i just restarted the phone and it was grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 bafled

My battery is draining since I updated to 4.4.2.
    100% at 7.30 am and by 1pm it's down to about 45% , with very little use , just a couple of short calls and maybe 10 mins internet .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I got an app called 2x battery pro.

It's brilliant for saving battery on my htc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Weekend_Yet

When I answer a call now it automatically has it on speaker. Happening to anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

When I answer a call now it automatically has it on speaker. Happening to anyone else?

Happened me a while ago. Turns out my ear was touching the speaker button .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

My HTC one decides to go to a rainbow screen every couple of minutes. When you touch the screen then it brings you back to the lock screen. This is pretty annoying. Anyone have any solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Where would I get a nice cover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

^^^^

That's for the new M8 isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

bafled wrote: »
    My battery is draining since I updated to 4.4.2.
    100% at 7.30 am and by 1pm it's down to about 45% , with very little use , just a couple of short calls and maybe 10 mins internet .

I found that for some reason the 4.4.2 updat initially killed my battery life, down from over a day to to @6hrs.
    After a little bit of research it seems this issue is a hangover from the update not completing properly and leaving multiple android processes running in instances where only one thread should be active.
    Anyway I found that a factory reset(After a backup of personal data and settings) sorted the issue out for me.
    It does however seem to be quite a common issue on the 4.4.2 update and indeed HTC pulled their 4.4.2 update in the UK over multiple induced issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Having a bit of an issue with my HTC One. After only a few days of usage I've accidentally powered it off about 4 or 5 times because of long pressing the power button without realising I was doing so.

It even does this when the phone is in sleep - very long pressing the power button still powers off the phone without any other action required.

Does anyone know of a way to reconfigure the settings so that long pressing the power button doesn't turn it off?

Thanks!

Cianos wrote: »
    Having a bit of an issue with my Hand

Fixed that for you.

Have you considered releasing the pressure you place on the button once you realise that you are pressing it?

In a polar opposite issue, I barely touched the on/off button on the remote for my TV by mistake and it powered the TV down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

did anyone notice Voice guided navigation in Google Maps doesnt work anymore.
    It keeps saying trying to find GPS signal and never finds it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

Just while we are on it, when rejecting a call on the One does anybody else have to reject it a few times before it stops.
    I mean, the call notification appears again about 2 seconds after you reject.
    Too quick for it to be the other person redialling ??

• Advertisement

Cianos wrote: »

Does anyone know of a way to reconfigure the settings so that long pressing the power button doesn't turn it off?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Lads is their much a difference in the htc one & htc one mini?

Want to get either but the mini is free but the normal one is €129 on the same bill plan with meteor..

I'd rather not have to pay the €129 if only real difference is screen size & memory

Lads is their much a difference in the htc one & htc one mini?

Significant differences. Whether they impact you or not is another matter
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5313&idPhone2=5505
    The new one (m8) will probably be announced on the 25th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Idleater wrote: »
    Significant differences. Whether they impact you or not is another matter
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5313&idPhone2=5505
    The new one (m8) will probably be announced on the 25th

If you're looking for a bargain, the HTC should go on special offer soon, due to the new one being launched... Its still an awesome phone & I won't be changing mine for a long time - at least until some amazing new features emerge or the specs go through the roof...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Anyone on 3 got 4.4 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭bonkers

I moved to google play edition when i first got the phone in the summer of 13
    Not exactly sure how i did it.. forget the instructions.. but the phone won't update - i get a notification taht the latest 4.3 is downloaded but when i restart install and i get this..

signature verification failed android 4.3 htc one

any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Bonkers I think you have to manually flash the new edition if you didn't get the Google Play edition out of the box.

A flashed ROM won't update with an OTA update.

Look up latest ROMs on XDA forums.

PS 4.3 is fairly old now. Might be 4.4.2 but not sure with the Google edition...

anyone have any advice for cleaning the inward facing camera? or if this is even possible? the lens on mine looks to be completely caked with dust and it makes photos taken with that camera blurry. I'm not sure if this is a normal thing or just an issue with mine (the top right hand corner casing around the camera lens is actually a tiny bit loose from a minor fall.)

Mine is the same, I let it fall and now there is a minor lift underneath the front camera and it is full of dust.

Compressed air it is best thing for it. I wont completely clean it but gets rid of 70-80% of the dust. Also, it doesn't last very long, the dust will eventually start to gather again so you will need to re-clean every month or so!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭smilerf

srumball wrote: »
    Anyone on 3 got 4.4 yet?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Hi all,

On some outgoing calls, the loudspeaker comes on without my touching the button. This has happened both when the phone is at my ear (OW!) and when it's not, so it's not an issue of accidentally hitting the button.

It doesn't happen on incoming calls at all.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions for a fix?

• Advertisement
Advertisement