Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Hi all,

On some outgoing calls, the loudspeaker comes on without my touching the button. This has happened both when the phone is at my ear (OW!) and when it's not, so it's not an issue of accidentally hitting the button.

It doesn't happen on incoming calls at all.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions for a fix?

I've had the same issue & haven't even received the update yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I have noticed the same here, but only in the last few weeks. I have not updated the software for a few months. What also happens me sometimes is I am on a call and my ear disconnects it because the proximity sensor seems to fail and wakes the screen up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I haven't updated recently either, a common denominator. I will update and see if that solves the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

smilerf wrote: »
    Yes

How did you get it? im still on 4.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

srumball wrote: »

3 withdrew it last week due to some issues. It was on the 3 forum somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Weekend_Yet

That issue only started happening to me after the update. Happens very randomly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Hi all,

On some outgoing calls, the loudspeaker comes on without my touching the button. This has happened both when the phone is at my ear (OW!) and when it's not, so it's not an issue of accidentally hitting the button.

It doesn't happen on incoming calls at all.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions for a fix?

Same here.On 4.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

just went to update and it was there. No major differences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Idleater wrote: »
    Have you considered releasing the pressure you place on the button once you realise that you are pressing it?

Thanks, no, I didn't consider simply not doing the thing that was causing the problem :rolleyes:

It's happened several times when the phone was in my pocket, it was pressing down on a usb stick for example that was also in my pocket.

It would make a lot more sense if you had to unlock the screen before a long press would turn the power off rather than (locked) > long press > Shut Down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Cianos wrote: »
    It would make a lot more sense if you had to unlock the screen before a long press would turn the power off rather than (locked) > long press > Shut Down

I replicated your issue on mine. I don't have security other than the swipe up on something to unlock and go to that.
    Pressing the power once wakes up the phone. It doesn't unlock.
    Holding the power button down is awkward, though doable and after something like 10 seconds a message is displayed on screen saying that if you continue to hold for 3...2...1...seconds the device with will restart.

I honestly can't think of anything that I'd be doing in my pocket that would cause me to press on my phone sufficiently for 13 seconds precisely on what is reportedly one of the most awkward power buttons on the market.

You might be the exception that in this case proves the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Hi,

I am on the Three Network, is the 4G available? If so do I need to d/l anything?

Also, I have "Three Like Home 2gb Internet" which allows me internet on a "3" network when abroad.

I was in London a few months ago and selected the 3 network while there but what kept happening is that the internet kept jumping to other networks, thereby costing me a bit instead of getting it free.

Anybody experienced this before?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

On the loudspeaker issue, it happens to my HTC one too, but ONLY if I have had the call on speaker for the last call to that particular contact.

Cianos wrote: »
    Thanks, no, I didn't consider simply not doing the thing that was causing the problem :rolleyes:

It's happened several times when the phone was in my pocket, it was pressing down on a usb stick for example that was also in my pocket.

Because there is no way of removing the battery to force the phone to shut down, then the long press on the power button is necessary. If you start putting conditions on it, it would make it impossible to reboot the phone in the event it freezes or crashes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I've just noticed an issue today with my phone not charging properly. It will charge for maybe 1 or 2 minutes then stop charging, I have used two different chargers so I don't think it is the charger or the wire.

I've googled it and it seems to be a known issue. It seems to charge if the phone is powered off but obviously that's not ideal. I've tried the 10 second power button / soft reset, but it doesn't seem to be charging at all now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

A second KitKat update has been rolled out - software version 4.19.161.11 (size 273.37MB) - I am on Vodafone Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

johnnykilo wrote: »
    I've just noticed an issue today with my phone not charging properly. It will charge for maybe 1 or 2 minutes then stop charging, I have used two different chargers so I don't think it is the charger or the wire.

I've googled it and it seems to be a known issue. It seems to charge if the phone is powered off but obviously that's not ideal. I've tried the 10 second power button / soft reset, but it doesn't seem to be charging at all now :mad:

Mine is doing the same, also when it get to 100% and i disconnect it, litterally 1 minute later its drops straight down to 90%, i think a trip to the meteor store is in order!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Just wondering if anyone looses half a picture that they use as wallpaper this happened a few times to me.Also is there a way of playing YouTube videos with screen off I like to use it walking but have to hold phone in hand as to stop it pausing in my pocket.Thanks

Just got an update there 4.20.771.17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just got an update there 4.20.771.17

Me too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Just updated to 4.4.2 (software number 4.20.980.1) last night. Seems alright so far, haven't noticed anything major visually. Down to 14% battery after 13 hours but that's with a little over 4 hours of screen time which I think is pretty decent as the screen is always a killer.

• Advertisement

I am with Vodafone but have a SIM free handset. Should I be able to use 4g ? Is there specific software that is required to use 4g?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Rhotheta

Anyone know when the HTC One succesor is out? The Galaxy S5 will be available next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Rhotheta wrote: »
    Anyone know when the HTC One succesor is out? The Galaxy S5 will be available next month.

http://www.androidcentral.com/new-htc-one-available-buy-march-25-uk

Due to be announced on 25th March and report this week say it will be available to purchase in the UK straight after the announcement. Should be in Ireland very soon after that but HTC usually seem to struggle with stock of their new phones.

Review in German, but goes to show that reviews are ready to roll after new One announcement on Tuesday.

***WARNING, DON'T WATCH IF YOU WANT TO WAIT UNTIL TUESDAY TO SEE LAUNCH OF M8***

http://youtu.be/vEB10wqk1X4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Basil3 wrote: »
    Review in German, but goes to show that reviews are ready to roll after new One announcement on Tuesday.

***WARNING, DON'T WATCH IF YOU WANT TO WAIT UNTIL TUESDAY TO SEE LAUNCH OF M8***

http://youtu.be/vEB10wqk1X4

Still think it's a big step back in terms of design compared to the M7. Why retain that black band just for branding?

Still think it's a big step back in terms of design compared to the M7. Why retain that black band just for branding?

I don't know....the M7 was definitely better looking, but this is the device the M7 claimed to be, a true metal unibody device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I don't know....the M7 was definitely better looking, but this is the device the M7 claimed to be, a true metal unibody device.

Was anyone disappointed with the M7's construction? I don't think I even read a single review that referenced it negatively. Nobody I handed the phone to remarked that there's a plastic layer there. Which was there for reception. I honestly don't care whether a phone is made of plastic or metal, just as long as the design is good and it's well made ... and the M7 certainly was.

Bought the One X, the One, but I'm looking elsewhere next time round.

Was anyone disappointed with the M7's construction? I don't think I even read a single review that referenced it negatively. Nobody I handed the phone to remarked that there's a plastic layer there. Which was there for reception. I honestly don't care whether a phone is made of plastic or metal, just as long as the design is good and it's well made ... and the M7 certainly was.

Bought the One X, the One, but I'm looking elsewhere next time round.

Not saying anyone was disappointed with the M7, but their marketing was based around it being shaped from a single block of aluminium. Technically only the back was.

I get pretty much every HTC flagship on release, and this year I actually lean more towards HTC than any other year. Samsung have stuck with the S3 for 3 years running, their ROMs are becoming more and more bloated with rubbish. The only other interesting device to me would be the Sony Z2.

For me, a huge deciding factor is which developers will be getting the device, and that alone is reason enough for the new One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭WexIan

New 4.4.2 (no. 4.20.206.16) came in last night and running smooth.

WexIan wrote: »
    New 4.4.2 (no. 4.20.206.16) came in last night and running smooth.

Yeah got it too finally lets you turn on 4g, getting 25 mbps down and 20 up. Not too shabby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

Yeah got it too finally lets you turn on 4g, getting 25 mbps down and 20 up. Not too shabby

What carrier?
    I'm still waiting (o2)

trev44 wrote: »
    What carrier?
    I'm still waiting (o2)

On 3

I have a o2 phone and its unlocked and am using Tesco Mobile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

texas star wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone looses half a picture that they use as wallpaper this happened a few times to me.Also is there a way of playing YouTube videos with screen off I like to use it walking but have to hold phone in hand as to stop it pausing in my pocket.Thanks

Play Tube Free does this...also caches the videos so you can view offline or repeatedly without reloading....haven't used it much but it was ok for when i needed it...

Anyone else had an invite to the official launch of the M8 in Dublin City centre next Wednesday evening? Not quite sure how they got on to me, maybe through following htc Ireland on Twitter or being part of HTC elevate.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I actually am digging the M8's design more than the M7, will have to see it in person before I'm sure about that. I'm definitely considering it or the Z2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

I actually am digging the M8's design more than the M7, will have to see it in person before I'm sure about that. I'm definitely considering it or the Z2.

Same, it think it may well be a better designed phone, I never really liked the plastic edges of the M7

I'm still trying to decide on the dark grey or silver, has anyone got a preference??

skeg16 wrote: »
    Same, it think it may well be a better designed phone, I never really liked the plastic edges of the M7

I'm still trying to decide on the dark grey or silver, has anyone got a preference??

I have heard that pictures don't do it justice.

My gut goes with gunmetal grey, as it's something a bit different, but have heard the silver looks awesome. Guess I'll decide when I see it in the flesh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Seems to only be available in Grey with Irish operators at present was the colour i was gonna get anyway, i have pre ordered it as part of an upgrade with Meteor you also get a Boomsound speaker free (while stocks last), my OneX is on its last legs cant wait to get my hands on the M8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Seems to only be available in Grey with Irish operators at present was the colour i was gonna get anyway, i have pre ordered it as part of an upgrade with Meteor you also get a Boomsound speaker free (while stocks last), my OneX is on its last legs cant wait to get my hands on the M8.

What length upgrade are you do getting, I'm due one but I'm on a 12 month smart contract and i ddon't think they'll give me the other phone on another 12 month contract

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

What length upgrade are you do getting, I'm due one but I'm on a 12 month smart contract and i ddon't think they'll give me the other phone on another 12 month contract

You can always move up at package on your phone i dont know about a new handset, 24month i got the OneX 2yrs ago

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

You can always move up at package on your phone i dont know about a new handset, 24month i got the OneX 2yrs ago

i like to change my phone every year, have the htc one at the moment and am looking to upgrade to the galaxy s5, xperia z2 or the new htc one.

seems like meteor are do their best to push me into a longer term contract, something i'm not willing to do

For anyone who is interested, I shot up to Newry today and picked up the new One in 3 for £459 (I think it's just over €550). Even taking into account cost of fuel, still a great price.

It's SIM unlocked, and only 3 bloat is up and down animation.

Goes without saying, it's awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Anyone else had an invite to the official launch of the M8 in Dublin City centre next Wednesday evening? Not quite sure how they got on to me, maybe through following htc Ireland on Twitter or being part of HTC elevate.

I know someone going and talking to a guy in htc today said there is space how did you get on to elevate did they release a code recently can you invite someone ;)

Hi,
    I recently changed from a S3 to a HTC One and love the phone.
    In my work area there are different WIFI routers, the S3 when it was connected to WIFI and if you moved to a different WIFI area it picked up the stronger signal automatically and connected whereas i find the HTC stays on the previous poorer signal and I have to manually go into settings and change to the stronger signal. Is there anywhere in settings that I can set so it automatically changes to the stronger signal.
    I am on Tesco mobile,but in the area I live i only receive Edge as the O2 masts are not 3G enabled, was thinking of moving to a 3 business Sim would I be mad as I read in the forums that 3 doesnt have good customer service.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Any ideas when Sense Six is going to be rolled out to HTC One M7 owners?

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Any ideas when Sense Six is going to be rolled out to HTC One M7 owners?

According to a man in the know that I know.....a matter of weeks.

If you can't wait, unlock and root your phone, and put it on now. I was running sense 6 a week or two ago before I sold my One.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Anyone else found their battery life is atrocious since the latest software update? I was up at 6.30 this morning, charged my battery overnight and it's at 20% with very little use. I'm charging it via USB for the past half hour and it's only maintaining it's level, not going up at all. Any suggestions for how to fix this? It's making the phone unusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Do a factory reset. Sorted my power issues after the last update

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I've genuinely never had an issue with the battery power of the phone.

Always lasts a whole day and even without charge will last until about 11 or 12 the following day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement