Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

rai555 wrote: »
    Has the 8 better camera ar the one in 7 is pathetic ?

If you're referring to the M7 and M8, the M8 would be slightly better. Don't know what you base the M7 camera being pathetic on, but when I had one it was definitely the best phone camera I'd used, coming from S3 and Note 2. Most of my shots would be of my kids and/or in average light, however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I haven't used a flash since I got the m7 at launch. I love it for that alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Hey Guys,

I have an M8 from Three running 4.4.2. The "Ok Google" search functionality works, but the options to enable Ok Google from any screen or from the lock screen are greyed out.

Anyone else have this issue? Do I need to wait for 4.4.3 or 4.4.4? I read on some forums that people have these options with 4.4.2

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

scudzilla wrote: »
    Think i've found the issue, done a lot of searching last night and most big sites recommend a factory data reset after a big update, i did that at 22:00 last night.

Went to bed at around 23:00 and handset was on 68%, got up at 6.30 and was on 64% so a LOT better.

I know it's a pain in the hole but i guess it makes sense after such a large update

Hey did the Factory Reset fix this issue permanently? I got the same problem since last week but I haven't updated phone in a month or two so don't know why its an issue all of a sudden.

What do you need to back up for factory reset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Hey Guys,

I have an M8 from Three running 4.4.2. The "Ok Google" search functionality works, but the options to enable Ok Google from any screen or from the lock screen are greyed out.

Anyone else have this issue? Do I need to wait for 4.4.3 or 4.4.4? I read on some forums that people have these options with 4.4.2

Thanks

You need to change the language from UK English to US English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Anyone know where I can get a new screen in Dublin at a reasonable price.
    Mine is scratched to bits.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

irishgeo wrote: »
    You need to change the language from UK English to US English.

Thanks man! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hochspitch

Hey, having an issue with my M7, was wondering if anyone could help. I ordered a new one which arrived today. It had not been updated to the newest update yet (Sense 6) so I tried to do it manually (About > Software Update, etc) but it said there was no update available for my phone. Not sure why, my last M7 got the update the day it became available. I ordered this phone from Amazon which came from somewhere in Europe (whereas the last one I got off expansys). I tried resetting the phone and nothing. Anyone any ideas on how I can update to Sense 6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

hochspitch wrote: »
    Hey, having an issue with my M7, was wondering if anyone could help. I ordered a new one which arrived today. It had not been updated to the newest update yet (Sense 6) so I tried to do it manually (About > Software Update, etc) but it said there was no update available for my phone. Not sure why, my last M7 got the update the day it became available. I ordered this phone from Amazon which came from somewhere in Europe (whereas the last one I got off expansys). I tried resetting the phone and nothing. Anyone any ideas on how I can update to Sense 6?

Was the device new or second hand ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 hochspitch

beno619 wrote: »
    Was the device new or second hand ?

New. Why?

I friend bought a second hand one of eBay, previous owner rooted it and put a custom room on it meaning he couldn't get ota updates.

hochspitch wrote: »

You can either root and put a custom ROM on, or wait.

OTA's are dictated by carrier ID, I believe. If you find out your carrier ID or (CID), you'll be able to get a bit more info online about updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Basil3 wrote: »
    You can either root and put a custom ROM on, or wait.

OTA's are dictated by carrier ID, I believe. If you find out your carrier ID or (CID), you'll be able to get a bit more info online about updates.

Have to say, I'm very happy with mine since rooting it. I played around with a few different ROMS (Liquid Smooth, SlimKat, Paranoid Android) but I keep coming back to Cyanogenmod and Nova launcher. Best way to get the latest version of android unless you have the Play Edition of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭ffocused

anyone else get 4.4.3 update on their M7 yet? I am currently installing it on my O2 handset after receiving an OTA prompt. Hopefully it will sort the battery drain from last 2 updates.

ffocused wrote: »
    anyone else get 4.4.3 update on their M7 yet? I am currently installing it on my O2 handset after receiving an OTA prompt. Hopefully it will sort the battery drain from last 2 updates.

Chances are the drain you're experiencing is due to apps/settings. If firmware was poorly designed and caused drain, everyone would suffer from it, and it would be patched pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭WexIan

Received it last week and battery life has much improved as it had gone to hell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Got the update a few weeks ago. My battery still doesn't last me too long because I'm constantly playing around on it. I usually have it killed in about 10 hours but that's with an average of 4 hours screen time on full brightness due to being outdoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭ffocused

WexIan wrote: »
    Received it last week and battery life has much improved as it had gone to hell

So far it seems to be running a lot cooler & I am now on 70% battery, usually down to less then 50% at this stage of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

Updated to the latest update the other day, however now I can't play YouTube videos on app or browsers? Facebook videos work fine, anyone else have a problem like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭innocent_lover

Updated to the latest update the other day, however now I can't play YouTube videos on app or browsers? Facebook videos work fine, anyone else have a problem like this?

Are you UPC customer? If yes,then its UPC problem as I can't access YouTube as well from last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Ye I noticed this morning that YouTube was acting up. I thought it was part of that internet go-slow day protest.

But ye, I got the update the other day and my battery life seems to have improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭holdfast

I can open links from facebook, twitter or e mails, it just kills the orginal app after upgrading software. pain in the hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Anyone get that annoying thing when you screen view turns to landscape out of the blue?

Just trying out a custom rom today, called ViperOne (version 7.0.1), and so far the battery life on it is unreal. Could be just a fluke of a thing, but in 1hr 20mins screen time it has used just 6%. I'll see what it's like idle over night, but if that's a sign of things to come, it's the rom to have. Sense 6 based, on android 4.4.3

Can anyone explain to me what the hell Zoe camera is supposed to be?

Just trying out a custom rom today, called ViperOne (version 7.0.1), and so far the battery life on it is unreal. Could be just a fluke of a thing, but in 1hr 20mins screen time it has used just 6%. I'll see what it's like idle over night, but if that's a sign of things to come, it's the rom to have. Sense 6 based, on android 4.4.3

Update:

Checked the battery stats this morning, and after 12hours off-charge, with 1hr 25min on screen, it had used 11%. So, less than 1% per hour! I usually turn off data and wifi going to bed, but I don't go into airplane mode.

Not bad stats. I'll keep an eye on it today and let ye know what it's like this evening.

Update:

Checked the battery stats this morning, and after 12hours off-charge, with 1hr 25min on screen, it had used 11%. So, less than 1% per hour! I usually turn off data and wifi going to bed, but I don't go into airplane mode.

Not bad stats. I'll keep an eye on it today and let ye know what it's like this evening.

Last update:

After a full charge, it took 43 hours to drop down to 5% battery. Screen shot of battery stats attached. I'd say if I drove it really hard with screen constantly on for something like gaming, I could run it down in about 5 hours. But under the normal use that I gave it over the last 2 days, I'm amazed at how well it lasted. I wasn't doing anything extraordinary to try and skimp on power. Very impressed with this rom.

Can anyone explain to me what the hell Zoe camera is supposed to be?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys can anyone tell me what is the easiest way to migrate from one HTC to another? My GF's HTC One Mini broke ad we have to send it back. We have a lend of a different one in the meantime.

Is there a htc program that lets you copy everything over - opr backup and restore to another phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys can anyone tell me what is the easiest way to migrate from one HTC to another? My GF's HTC One Mini broke ad we have to send it back. We have a lend of a different one in the meantime.

Is there a htc program that lets you copy everything over - opr backup and restore to another phone?

Google does an auto-backup/restore, and HTC have their onw one too (it's built into the settings). I've found it quite poor though, it will backup/restore messages, but app settings/downloaded apps/etc never worked for me.

Ideal solution is to use a tool like Titanium Backup (requires root though).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks, I'm not too worried about settings, more just photos, texts, contacts - and then things like apps - whatsapp etc.
    What would anyone suggest? I heard there was a htc program that did the whole thing in one go! Anyone have experience using it?

Zascar wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm not too worried about settings, more just photos, texts, contacts - and then things like apps - whatsapp etc.
    What would anyone suggest? I heard there was a htc program that did the whole thing in one go! Anyone have experience using it?

In theory the HTC Backup app should do everything you want it to. Personally I don't use it as I am rooted and have used Titanium Backup for years.

Regarding your contacts, they should all be google contacts so you'll never lose them. Amazing how many people still choose to store contacts locally.

For photos, they should all be automatically backed up to dropbox or google photos.

Last time I did a factory reset, I used HTC backup for all my settings and app data, Google for Apps & contacts, Dropbox for Photos, music and documents. I also did a backup of my messages.
    Everything restored fine with the exception of my whatsapp conversation history which disappeared.
    Highly recommend doing a factory reset on HTC one if you have had it a long time. Performance and battery improved quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

HTC One E8 on the way - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL4Fs6UaD6A

Basically an M8 in a cheaper, plastic body, with a 13mp camera. One for those who fall for mp count numbers, as this shows the M8 camera to be far superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

Last time I did a factory reset, I used HTC backup for all my settings and app data, Google for Apps & contacts, Dropbox for Photos, music and documents. I also did a backup of my messages.
    Everything restored fine with the exception of my whatsapp conversation history which disappeared.
    Highly recommend doing a factory reset on HTC one if you have had it a long time. Performance and battery improved quite a bit.

Whatsapp needs to be backed up separately. But it's an easy process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

Hi i have a major issue with the camera on my HTC One m7
    everytime i take a picture in low light i get a purple haze around the camera.
    Ive read on numerous forums that this is a common problem.
    What can be done about this?

No easy fix for this. It has to be sent away for a camera replacement.

It's a known fault and will be repaired under warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Does the HTC backup save and restore passwords/Logins ?

Do you need to be set up with a HTC account ?

Techless wrote: »
    Does the HTC backup save and restore passwords/Logins ?

Do you need to be set up with a HTC account ?

I can't be 100% sure if it will restore your passwords, I think you will need to sign back in to your accounts.

You setup the HTC backup directly from your phone.

It's a known fault and will be repaired under warranty.

Where do I send it?

Where do I send it?

If I purchased through a carrier, or on contract, I would go to the carrier. Otherwise, I would just google HTC and call their service centre.

If I purchased through a carrier, or on contract, I would go to the carrier. Otherwise, I would just google HTC and call their service centre.

Cheers I will contact htc tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Just upgraded my M7 from 4.2 to 4.4.2 and the battery life is gone through the floor. Lucky to get 5 hours out of it with light use. Would easily last all day before the upgrade.
    Must be something I can change in setting to improve it a bit. Any suggestions?

It's also hanging whenever I try to check for upgrades

• Advertisement

I got an update to 4.4.3 recently and battery performance improved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

More first world problems! HTC One M8. When the password screen is on (phone is locked) the camera randomly opens. I'm guessing it's a shortcut of some description sort but it only ever happens in my pocket. Drives me mad when I'm listening to something and the camera opens..

Any ideas?

More first world problems! HTC One M8. When the password screen is on (phone is locked) the camera randomly opens. I'm guessing it's a shortcut of some description sort but it only ever happens in my pocket. Drives me mad when I'm listening to something and the camera opens..

Any ideas?

How are you putting it in your pocket? There's one shortcut when the phone has it's screen off and you lift it to horizontal and press the volume button, the camera will open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

MOH wrote: »
    Just upgraded my M7 from 4.2 to 4.4.2 and the battery life is gone through the floor. Lucky to get 5 hours out of it with light use. Would easily last all day before the upgrade.
    Must be something I can change in setting to improve it a bit. Any suggestions?

It's also hanging whenever I try to check for upgrades

Looks like 4G might have been the culprit.
    I'd just ported to 3 with free 4G, didn't realise at first it might be a drain.
    I then turned it off under Mobile Data, but then when I upgraded it somehow got set back on again.
    Turning it off seems to have slowed the drain quite a lot. Kind of defeats the purpose though.

Anybody know anything about the purple tint on the camera fault?
    Tis a load of me hole!

• Advertisement
Advertisement