Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

This might sound like an awful noob thing to ask, but here goes.

I've had my M7 since last year. She's recently getting laggy and whatnot.

Should I do a factory reset, to get rid of all the app, update, app, update, app bloat? Would I gain much back? I mean, is there a lot of unused, unneeded crap from apps that have been since updated a billion times?

I've found with most devices once you only have only 4gb of internal storage space left things start to get hairy. Shortcomings of the nand used for internal storage. Try freeing 2 or 3gb and see if things improve.

This might sound like an awful noob thing to ask, but here goes.

I've had my M7 since last year. She's recently getting laggy and whatnot.

Should I do a factory reset, to get rid of all the app, update, app, update, app bloat? Would I gain much back? I mean, is there a lot of unused, unneeded crap from apps that have been since updated a billion times?

I had a similar issue. Did a factory reset, restored the stuff I really wanted and phone has been great since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭beardo81

nedd wrote: »
    in my experience the Nexus phones will get Lollipop at launch but HTC won't have it for weeks/months.

A GPE phone is treated pretty much the same as a Nexus in terms of updates, 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 dropped for me before my Nexus 4 on both releases. Its not really the same as a ROM install, its converting the phone over to a real Play Edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

mobby wrote:
    Yes, I have had that issue, HTC tell me to drop it into crowd call SBE in Rathcoole, Co Dublin, Who then send it to HTC UK for Repair. Could take two weeks. 

Got my phone back from HTC this morning. took almost 3 weeks, but they have sent me a brand new M8 as replacement so happy out. only little problem is have to get nano sim.

mobby wrote: »
    Got my phone back from HTC this morning. took almost 3 weeks, but they have sent me a brand new M8 as replacement so happy out. only little problem is have to get nano sim.

As a replacement for an M7 ?

• Advertisement

yep the M7 had purple camera issue didn't think they would replace with upgrade just maybe a repair.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

How old was your M7?

mobby wrote:
    yep the M7 had purple camera issue didn't think they would replace with upgrade just maybe a repair.

Great I have the pick camera issue as well but was ignoring it,may chance my arm now.

Purchased from Amazon Sim unlocked about June 2013.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Did you email them about the problem first or what was the process?

• Advertisement

Did you email them about the problem first or what was the process?

No rang HTC (‎1 800 995 482) Ireland support number. told to drop phone into SBE in Rathcoole Co Dublin. were it would be sent to UK for repairs, was a bit annoyed it was taking so long but well pleased when the M8 arrived at the door today :-)

Darn it! Why can't I have a purple haze on my phone.

For all of us with SIM free handsets, the clock started ticking today. Android 5.0 will be available within 90 days. :)
    Source: #htcadvantage on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mr. TTime

For all of us with SIM free handsets, the clock started ticking today. Android 5.0 will be available within 90 days. :)

Great news although my M7 is slowly dying and might not have it in 90 days time. Deleted all photos off phone yesterday (almost 3,000) and things seem to have picked up again. One or two performance issues still noticeable though

Mr. TTime wrote: »
    Great news although my M7 is slowly dying and might not have it in 90 days time. Deleted all photos off phone yesterday (almost 3,000) and things seem to have picked up again. One or two performance issues still noticeable though

Have you considered a factory reset, it can give it a new lease of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'm waiting for Lollipop for the GPE - I assume it'll be soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

My M7 is currently bootloader unlocked, S-Off-ed and has a custom Rom installed (ViperOne).

If I want to send it back to HTC for the purple haze issue would I need to revert all of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

irishbuzz wrote: »
    My M7 is currently bootloader unlocked, S-Off-ed and has a custom Rom installed (ViperOne).

If I want to send it back to HTC for the purple haze issue would I need to revert all of these?

I think that would be a definite YES.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    I think that would be a definite YES.

Probably worth restoring to stock, but to be honest this is an issue which HTC have openly identified, and custom ROM wouldn't affect it since it's a hardware issue.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Probably worth restoring to stock, but to be honest this is an issue which HTC have openly identified, and custom ROM wouldn't affect it since it's a hardware issue.

This is very true, however you don't want to give the repair centre any remote excuse not to repair or replace the phone. Therefore best to revert to stock as mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Have you considered a factory reset, it can give it a new lease of life.

I've considered it alright (backed up everything including SMS history a few days ago) and gonna give it a go over the weekend. Try to do all these kind of things at work but pretty busy this week (I am my own boss :))

Thanks for the tip though

Appreciate the replies folks. I kinda figured I'd have to do it. Can't give them any excuse.

I should also have mentioned that I also switched to super CID. I assume I will also need to reset this. Does anyone happen to know what the original meteor CID is?

I have found some instructions online for reverting the various bits but I know that a particular order probably has to be followed to complete the process.

Does anyone know what order I should complete the steps in?
    • Downgrade firmware and hboot
    • Revert Super CID to original
    • Revert S-OFF to S-ON
    • Flash stock RUU
    • Lock the bootloader

BTW My apologies for the non-rooters out there for filling the thread with techy jargon :o

I should also have mentioned that I also switched to super CID. I assume I will also need to reset this. Does anyone happen to know what the original meteor CID is?

Actually I'm pretty sure since my M7 was an early model it came with cid: HTC__001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Actually I'm pretty sure since my M7 was an early model it came with cid: HTC_001

That was my Meteor M7 CID anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

HTC reset itself over the weekend..... no back up, anyway to get my contacts back?

srumball wrote: »
    HTC reset itself over the weekend..... no back up, anyway to get my contacts back?

Errrrr......you're on an Android. All of contacts should be synced to Google....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Errrrr......you're on an Android. All of contacts should be synced to Google....

They should be, but for some reason I cannot locate them.... where do I find them?

I have signed back in with my google account

srumball wrote: »
    They should be, but for some reason I cannot locate them.... where do I find them?

I have signed back in with my google account

they should be there....that's assuming you synced them in the first place (which i hope you did!)

if google have them, then you can check by logging into your gmail account on a pc. in the top left where it says gmail, there's a dropdown where you can switch to contacts.

alternatively, on your phone, if you've logged in to your google account, then make sure that contacts is ticked in settings > accounts and sync > google > youraccount@gmail.com

Any word on lollipop for the GPE M7? I see that it's now going to Nexus owners, I assume it won't be much longer until we get it?

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    Any word on lollipop for the GPE M7? I see that it's now going to Nexus owners, I assume it won't be much longer until we get it?

HTC states you will receive lollipop on SIM free HTC One devices within 90 days of its release. Expect it in January sometime.
    If you are locked to an operator, it could be much longer.

HTC states you will receive lollipop on SIM free HTC One devices within 90 days of its release. Expect it in January sometime.
    If you are locked to an operator, it could be much longer.

For gpe I would say this side of Xmas. Sense Jan/Feb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Lollipop builds on XDA now. Official gpe due any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

nedd wrote: »
    Lollipop builds on XDA now. Official gpe due any day.

Anybody having trouble with distortion on the top speaker hard to understand people on calls in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Hi

I've asked this before but didn't get round to doing it at the time.

Does anyone have a guide that will bring my rooted HTC one m7 back to unrooted state so I can receive the lollipop update when it's released.

Thanks

MM

Hi

I've asked this before but didn't get round to doing it at the time.

Does anyone have a guide that will bring my rooted HTC one m7 back to unrooted state so I can receive the lollipop update when it's released.

Thanks

MM

Unroot guide: http://htc-one.wonderhowto.com/how-to/return-your-rooted-unlocked-htc-one-back-factory-settings-for-warranty-repairs-0149204/

Getting the correct RUU might be tricky, depending on your CID, so you might want to get s-off to change it (I used this to switch to GPE): https://dulpitlearns.wordpress.com/2014/10/27/how-to-s-off-htc-one-m7-the-idiots-guide/

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Cheers. If I can't figure out my RUU, can I update to Kit Kat or Lollipop without knowing it?

Cheers. If I can't figure out my RUU, can I update to Kit Kat or Lollipop without knowing it?

There's ways of fixing it. If you want Lollipop this week, you'll need to switch to GPE. If you want Sense with Lollipop then you'll be waiting until January. When released, there will be ROMS available within a fairly quick time period that you'll be able to flash if you don't want to go messing with the un-rooting process...

There's ways of fixing it. If you want Lollipop this week, you'll need to switch to GPE. If you want Sense with Lollipop then you'll be waiting until January. When released, there will be ROMS available within a fairly quick time period that you'll be able to flash if you don't want to go messing with the un-rooting process...

Cheers, any links to a good guide for installing lollipop this week?

Cheers, any links to a good guide for installing lollipop this week?

For M7? Not available yet, should be dropping Friday for GPE. If you follow this guide you can convert to GPE ahead of time (you'll be without Sense and root, and at 4.4.4): http://htc-one.wonderhowto.com/how-to/turn-your-htc-one-into-real-htc-one-google-play-edition-0147731/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

ofcork wrote: »
    Anybody having trouble with distortion on the top speaker hard to understand people on calls in particular.

Gone back for repair,second issue ive had after mic packed up 6 months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭capefear

Hi guys

Sorry if this has been asked before. Have the htc one x about 24 months and lately the phone starting rebooting itself and now this evening has died and won't turn on. Anyone know how to get it going again even for a few mins to copy over the data.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

My M7 has started getting on my nerves a bit lately. Heaps of lag and the capacitive buttons stop responding at least once a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭delynet

@Testament1 I had the same problem and did a full factory reset and phone is now as good as new. Bit of a pain backing up data etc... but well worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Testament1 wrote: »
    My M7 has started getting on my nerves a bit lately. Heaps of lag and the capacitive buttons stop responding at least once a day.

Happens to mine quite a bit too. It could do with having a bit of space freed up, but I've also noticed it seems to mainly happen while syncing.
    For no particular reason, I'm blaming Facebook.

Another warranty question.

For those that have previously sent there phone back for repair. Did they do so through their network provider or HTC? If HTC was it Ireland / UK / Europe they contacted?

Sorry went back a few page and found the answer to my question:
    mobby wrote: »
    No rang HTC (‎1 800 995 482) Ireland support number. told to drop phone into SBE in Rathcoole Co Dublin. were it would be sent to UK for repairs, was a bit annoyed it was taking so long but well pleased when the M8 arrived at the door today :-)

I sent mine back 2 weeks ago and still nothing back yet. Hopefully get it back this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Unroot guide: http://htc-one.wonderhowto.com/how-to/return-your-rooted-unlocked-htc-one-back-factory-settings-for-warranty-repairs-0149204/

Getting the correct RUU might be tricky, depending on your CID, so you might want to get s-off to change it (I used this to switch to GPE): https://dulpitlearns.wordpress.com/2014/10/27/how-to-s-off-htc-one-m7-the-idiots-guide/

Good luck!

Another person that wants to unroot my 3 HTC one m7.
    Any idea what RUU I should be looking for. I have rooted phones before, but never gone back to stock, so not really sure what I am doing re RUU/CID etc

Actually just an update, all I have done is rooted the phone to enable SU. I haven't flashed any roms (that I remember) and all I want to do is to take the OTA update that I am constantly being reminded about but can't install because I have a custom bootloader

I sent mine back 2 weeks ago and still nothing back yet. Hopefully get it back this week.
    Should have said if you are lucky enough to get a new M8 that its takes a nano sim as opposed to the micro sim in the M7, not a major issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

Lucky you guys that received an M8

I sent my M7 away with vodafone {for purple camera tint}who send it on to HTC on 17th of October and 4 weeks later got back a clearly refurbished M7 which had been sent back to vodafone in an unpadded envelope.

The phone had damage to the sim slot, plastic stuck between screen and side body and a small dent beside the power button.

I refused to accept it they send it away again and im still waiting.

Really disappointing service.

Im onto the management everyday to find out whats happening.

As a good will gesture they wiped this months bill but they will have to do better than that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement